VOGONS

What 9x Software is Essential

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 52, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

45.23 drivers are already bad for older cards, my GeForce DDR already had issues with drivers 28.xx.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 41 of 52, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Furmark, LinPack/Prime95/SuperPi for stability. I usually boot Memtest86+ for RAM testing.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 42 of 52, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:

once adobe dropped support for 9x, PDFs that were encoded with a higher version stopped opening, also I find its a bloated reader compared to Sumatra or Foxit, both extremly light weight and have more compatibility with later PDF files encoded with later versions of PDF. I should investigate if there is a version of sumatra PDF that will run on 9x without kernel EX. Since I really prefer that over Foxit since it doesn't have add ware in it.

Not in my experience. Acrobat Reader 4 still reads files that were made 15+ years later. I just exported a word document to PDF in Word 2019 just to check, and it doesn't even render funny. Just works, even on the T2130CS.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 43 of 52, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, if i got anything out of this thread, here's what I have setup for my personal 95osr2.5 build:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZGlO … 0S61Ue7i5xTpvCV

• 7zip
    adobe reader 5.1
    cacheman 5.50
    cdbremse 1.49
    flashplayer 7 r73
    freewheel 2.4
    ie5.5sp2 (without active desktop)
    instmsia
    metapad 3.6
    ps2rate 0.4
    rain 1.0
    retrozilla 2.2
    java 1.3.1
    visual basic 6.0 runtime
    windows media player 6.4 (OSR2SP1) + WMP9 codecs + VCM codecs
    adaptec aspi driver 4.60.1021 (OSR2SP1)
    phil's easy ms-dos mode
    mtrrlfbe
    directx 7
    xusbsupp
    the rest being drivers for my specific hardware

Reply 44 of 52, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sedrosken wrote:
Warlord wrote:

once adobe dropped support for 9x, PDFs that were encoded with a higher version stopped opening,

Not in my experience. Acrobat Reader 4 still reads files that were made 15+ years later. I just exported a word document to PDF in Word 2019 just to check, and it doesn't even render funny. Just works, even on the T2130CS.

your experience isn't at all the same thing as i described though. I feel like I have to mention it because I read your reply as a "you don't know what you are taking about" but you didn't prove me wrong. Adobe Acrobat isn't a microsoft product Thats just basic open source pdf printing that word can do do, just like Cute pdf printing. Its not the same. 🤣

Ive gotten plenty of errors that say things like this pdf was created by a newer version and you open it up and its all messed up or blank.

Reply 45 of 52, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Majority of my PDFs are datasheets of various devices and there are plenty that will not work in any of the readers available that can work on 98/ME without KernelEx. It has been years since I actively looked for alternative and eventually I settled on some versions of Sumatra and Foxit, with KernelEx.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 46 of 52, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

tuneup 97

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 48 of 52, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm almost always use well known PowerStrip to create CVT reduced blank Timing Standard (CVT-RB) for those older GPUs/drivers that does not support it by default. CVT-RB offers reduced horizontal and vertical blanking periods which allows a lower pixel clock (less clock and phasing issues) especially when going into and above 1600x1200 resolutions.

I'm using VESA(TM) Coordinated Video Timing Generator to calculate the settings in PowerStrip.
http://ramos.elo.utfsm.cl/~elo212/docs/CVTd6r1.xls

Then in the final moment, below homepage will be used to assist modern LCD auto-adjustment:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

Reply 49 of 52, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First thing I would do on Windows 98FE/SE is install the unofficial Service Pack and install the mass storage media USB update. If the system is on the light side get rid of the IE integration. Install 7zip, some light word processor such as Abiword, an pdf reader/writer, and some backup program I cam make dated images of current working set ups with Clonezilla as a backup.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 50 of 52, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote:
matze79 wrote:

tuneup 97

What is it and why essential?

It's more known to German users I guess, but it's definately essential for Windows 95!
Check it out: https://archive.org/details/TuneUp97

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 51 of 52, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They was a program available for Win98 that was on a Plus like CD that was backward compatible with win95. Unfortunately I can't remenber what it was called. I'll have a dig through my stuff and see it I can find it. It was quite popular in it's time too.

Reply 52 of 52, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couldn't find what I was looking for but did come across these:

20190924_152708[1].jpg
Filename
20190924_152708[1].jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20190924_154234[1].jpg
Filename
20190924_154234[1].jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
20190924_173835[1].jpg
Filename
20190924_173835[1].jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license

2004 MS Security Update CD for win98/98SE, ME, W2k and XP. This was a free givaway from local computer shops at time with advice on keeping your system secure along with trail antivirus and firewall software. APCs Aug 2002 mag cd has W2K SP 3 and a lot of other goodies including the now defunct Lycoris Desktop/LX, a rpm based linux distro which I might try it at some point.

I've made an ISO of the MS Security update CD for anyone interested. It was free and released by MS so obviously no problems there. Maybe even Vogons could host it. Wont bother with the Firewall/Antivirus trial. I used Kerio (2.1.x I think)firewall PE and AVG back then. Zone Alarm was another popular one but went down hill after version 6 or so.