VOGONS

First post, by sineofsine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I just slapped together a 486 system and I'm getting intermittent write errors on the CF card. Here's what I'm working with:

• MSI MS4137 with AMI BIOS AB8193053
  • AMD DX2 @ 100MHz w/heatsink
  • 32MB RAM
  • A: Real NEC 3.5" Floppy
  • B: Gotek 3.5" Floppy
  • MIO-400KF Rev F Acer Multi I/O Card (IDE, Floppy, Parallel, Serial)
  • Syba IDE/PATA to CF Adapter

Here are the cards I've tried with no change in behavior:

• Transcend 512MB Industrial 200I
  • Transcend 4 GB 133X CompactFlash Memory Card TS4GCF133
  • Transcend 2 GB 133X CompactFlash Memory Card TS2GCF133
  • Verbatim 2GB 47012

Symptoms:

• Installing files during DOS 6.22 installer will randomly fail, second retry always works for me ("An error occurred while reading or writing to drive C")
  • Windows 3.11 installer fails at some point during the second disk ("Problem with disk drive C; Please check to see that the disk is properly inserted in the drive and that the drive door is closed.") Continuing from here almost always corrupts the drive (messed up blocks, garbage filenames, etc.)
  • Opening certain applications in Windows 3.11, I see a write error, I assume writing temp files. This can cause the system to destabilize.
  • With some cards or configurations, even `dir` can fail a lot of the time.
  • The majority of IO failures are write; read fails much less frequently

Screenshots and hardware shots: https://imgur.com/a/3c9V22F

In combination, I've also tried:

• Using 500MB, 1GB, or 2GB partitions on cards that can fit
  • Using only the Gotek or NEC drive.
  • Installing from either drive exhibits the exact same symptoms.

Notes:

• The BIOS doesn't seem to be having trouble detecting the layout of any of the cards I've used
  • If I install/copy DOS and/or Windows with DOSBox or a host machine, things seem to boot and work fairly well, especially in DOS
  • That the floppies are copying files to C: seems to guarantee an eventual write failure, which is suspicious to me. Otherwise, errors are less frequent, but still annoying. Windows is not super forgiving for IO errors.
  • I'm going to try some different IO card setups. Any recommendations?

I'm curious to know:

Is this IO card destined for the trash? It was a random pickup.

Does anyone know of an absolutely rock-solid setup for CF cards? I feel like I've chosen some pretty good candidates...

Any known problems that have to be taken care of with manual configuration?

Any other ideas? Happy to try some things out while I wait for some other IO cards to arrive.

Cheers,
sin(sin)

Reply 1 of 16, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you tested the Cf ide adapter on more "modern" machine with onboard IDE controller? Like socket 7/slot1.
The quality of adapter or the I/o Card is a possiblity.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 2 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sineofsine wrote:

Any other ideas?

Your overclocking. Bring every speed speed down to default/normal and try again, corruption due to increased bus speed is not uncommon.

Reply 3 of 16, by sineofsine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote:
sineofsine wrote:

Any other ideas?

Your overclocking. Bring every speed speed down to default/normal and try again, corruption due to increased bus speed is not uncommon.

I've tried every bus clock from clk2/1 on down to clk2/12, as well as fixed a 7.19MHz. None of them seem to help with this problem.

Reply 4 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try new cable for IDE and another different multi-i/o ISA card. Acer is not my favorite.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 16, by sineofsine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote:

Try new cable for IDE and another different multi-i/o ISA card. Acer is not my favorite.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Thanks, will do! I'm waiting on a Goldstar and UMC IO card, will update when I try them out.

Reply 6 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would prefer using winbond chipset for the multi-i/o, and properly buffered IDE port.

Cheers,

Reply 7 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See what the CF card settings detect as on a much newer system.

I have some CF cards that are really flakey with a 486 setup but seem to work fine with a newer system. They are Monster Digital brand. They also do not detect the settings properly on the 486 system. To get them to sort of work reliably on the 486 system I have to detect the settings with a newer system and then manually enter those settings into the BIOS on the 486 system.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 16, by sineofsine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

To get them to sort of work reliably on the 486 system I have to detect the settings with a newer system and then manually enter those settings into the BIOS on the 486 system.

Great tip, thanks! So far, I've checked on several machines as well as the `whatide` tool and they all agree on the drive geometry. I've now tried on several motherboards.

I did find something that does work with all three IO cards in my original motherboard: a real IDE hard drive. It's rock solid. Go figure!

Although I wouldn't necessarily be surprised, and I don't know if I believe that CF cards really have the correct signal timings and behavior for IDE in fixed disk mode, it's hard for me to believe that every single one of these CF cards are that unreliable. People seem to just be throwing random CF cards into their machines and it always seems to work... except in mine!

The only thing left for me to consider is the CF-IDE adapter, which I have seen some few complaints about online. Maybe I'm unlucky. I examined all of the solder joints on this thing and none of them look obviously broken. Maybe the fine-pitch SMD connections on the CF socket aren't solid. Rather than go over it all with an iron, I'm going to return it and try another.

What a hassle.

Reply 9 of 16, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried different power cables to the adapter? When you use a real HDD it would be using a different plug...
Maybe also replace the jumpers as well, there might be a poor connection in there somewhere.

Reply 10 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another bunch of ideas, if the CF cards are really the culprit.. 😀

* See if FreeDOS behaves the same (more modern; it can handle FAT32 and LBA)
* Format your CF cards in one or two old camcorders or digital cameras.
They often can fix/overwrite some broken filesystems. And remove/replace existing partitions, too.
* Try an industrial CF card with up to 512MB of capacity (avoids trouble with ~500MB barrier).
* Clear your CF cards starting sectors (esp. track 0), too.
There are a related few tools for *nix (dd etc) and DOS (s0kill etc).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 16, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't ready all the replies properly just skimmed them, so it might already been said but most likely what is happening is you are using a card over 501mb size. The 486 dx2 most likely is limited to 501mb. Even tho the hard disk controller can see 1 or 2 gb etc and shows that in the bios, the bios can't see any sectors past the 501mb mark so it reads and writes files under 501mb fine and anything over that has seek errors

Reply 12 of 16, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got the same problem with a NEATSX 386 - I can read, format and write to a CF card, but running anything off it I get a NOT READY error. Card works fine in a 486 and MMX system.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 13 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If that's the case, it might be a BIOS issue.
286/386 systems usually predate HDDs bigger than a few hundred MBs.
Also, they are not aware of the subtle changes introduced with ATA-2..

Using XTIDE Universal BIOS or one of these old EIDE BIOSes might fix these compatibility issues.
Re: A special BIOS LBA EIDE Multi-IO Controller: DTC EIDE Ultima Pro

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 16, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-01-09, 12:59:
If that's the case, it might be a BIOS issue. 286/386 systems usually predate HDDs bigger than a few hundred MBs. Also, they are […]
Show full quote

If that's the case, it might be a BIOS issue.
286/386 systems usually predate HDDs bigger than a few hundred MBs.
Also, they are not aware of the subtle changes introduced with ATA-2..

Using XTIDE Universal BIOS or one of these old EIDE BIOSes might fix these compatibility issues.
Re: A special BIOS LBA EIDE Multi-IO Controller: DTC EIDE Ultima Pro

A CHS 1060/16/63 540 MB hard drive was able to be booted off on the same machine that has problems reading a 933/16/63 CF card - more details here:

(SOLVED) CF card woes (this time in a 386 and ALSO a Pentium MMX with SCSI).

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 15 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DX2 100? Are you running 50MHz? This could be the problem. Try 40MHz which will be DX2-80. Might be more reliable.

Cheers,

Reply 16 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I second this. In 286-486 systems, the HDD often is directly attached to the ISA bus, which is the front side bus, essentially.
If the motherboard gets overclocked, so does ISA and IDE.

Also, some BIOSes may not support more than 1023/15/63 or 1023/16/63, even though the CMOS Setup Utility accepts any value.
Re: Dos floppy installation problem

//My video channel//