VOGONS

First post, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is possible to set SoundBlaster compatibility? MIDI plays fine on Doom95 but no SFX sound...

Reply 3 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCMCIA sound cards are never 100% compatible, so it may work in some games and in some not. If you set up the sound in the game correctly but get no SFX, there's probably not much you can do.

Doom95 uses a very early version of DirectX (2 I think). Do you have that installed? Note that later versions do not install support for the first versions of DirectX.

Reply 4 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mt777 wrote:

not exactly because plays music of Diablo1 😀

What? The SCP-55 doesn't support Sound Blaster / Adlib or anything else besides MIDI (music).

What exact setting in Diablo1 are you choosing for the music setting?

See here for the owners manual:
http://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/roland/sc … l/scp-55_om.pdf

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SCP55 has WSS compatibility in addition to MIDI synth, there's a CS4231 in it for that.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:

SCP55 has WSS compatibility in addition to MIDI synth, there's a CS4231 in it for that.

Really? I didn't see it listed in the user manual. I was under the impression that it was basically just an SC-55 in PCMCIA form.. but lolo799 does say it has digital audio in Win3.x/Win9x.

I also am not finding any mention other than that that says it supports any type of digital audio.

Not finding any recordings other than MIDI for it either.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 13, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Really? I didn't see it listed in the user manual. I was under the impression that it was basically just an SC-55 in PCMCIA form […]
Show full quote
Tiido wrote:

Really? I didn't see it listed in the user manual. I was under the impression that it was basically just an SC-55 in PCMCIA form.. but lolo799 does say it has digital audio in Win3.x/Win9x.

I also am not finding any mention other than that that says it supports any type of digital audio.

Not finding any recordings other than MIDI for it either.

The manual mentions PCM audio playing and recording, but not what type of D/A converter is in the card.
But that doesn't make it WSS compatible anyway...

mt777 wrote:

Is possible to set SoundBlaster compatibility? MIDI plays fine on Doom95 but no SFX sound...

Doom95 uses Directx audio, it doesn't need a SB card.
I just tried Doom95 running under Windows 98 and I have digital audio, no issues there, what's the CPU in your laptop?
Dxdiag sound test also works fine, Directx 6.1a is installed.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 9 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah... I found this ad? for the SCP-55 and it doesn't mention anything about WSS either.

SCP-55_ad.jpg
Filename
SCP-55_ad.jpg
File size
706.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's WSS compatible codec in the chip but it won't appear in any addresses that's normal for WSS devices, PCMCIA card IO ports are set to whatever the OS and/or driver wants to put them to, there's no fixed allocation necessary and often isn't done. The card can certainly play WAV files and whatnot and there WSS codec can be accessed like normally when you poke the address allocated for it. The dongle only had audio out so recording I couldn't test. Uselfulness of the thing is limited to pretty much only Windows stuff. Maybe WDM WSS driver could be hacked for it and you can get SB emulation in windows DOS boxes.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 13, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Doom 95 play sounds fine with SCP-55, cause this card work as normal sound card in Windows systems. All you need is install drivers.

https://youtu.be/CfJnGJ638ds

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 12 of 13, by Helweg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just been given an SCP-55 from a kind person who offered it for just the cost of postage.

I'm using it on a 2009 HP laptop with Win98 SE and can assure you that it does play crisp, clear digital audio out of the MCB-3 breakout cable.
This cable has MIDI in + out, "phones out, line in and mic in.
It appears in windows as an audio device, and the GS wavetable is available as midi output device.
The phones out port is cool because it mixes both the windows audio and GS sources together.
Sound quality is wonderful.

Reply 13 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Helweg wrote on 2020-06-22, 14:25:
I have just been given an SCP-55 from a kind person who offered it for just the cost of postage. […]
Show full quote

I have just been given an SCP-55 from a kind person who offered it for just the cost of postage.

I'm using it on a 2009 HP laptop with Win98 SE and can assure you that it does play crisp, clear digital audio out of the MCB-3 breakout cable.
This cable has MIDI in + out, "phones out, line in and mic in.
It appears in windows as an audio device, and the GS wavetable is available as midi output device.
The phones out port is cool because it mixes both the windows audio and GS sources together.
Sound quality is wonderful.

Nice find! They certainly don't show up often.

Have you tried using it in DOS, outside of Windows?

EDIT: Sorry for the thread bump. Followed a link from another thread and forgot to check the date this was posted. 😮

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.