VOGONS

First post, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found another interesting item downstairs today. An IBM FRU 64F4148 floppy drive of the 2.88MB kind. Made for IBM by Mitsubishi.

Has what looks like a standard 34-pin interconnect, but no separate power terminals.

I have an Intel Plato motherboard that supports 2.88M drives, so I hooked it up. Nada.

Is this another case of proprietary interface? How does one test these? Do I need to get special media to do so?

Reply 1 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes proprietary. Power is supplied through the ribbon cable. Yes 2.88meg floppies are special. Test using a system with the same interface, a PS/2 system most likely. Good luck.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
precaud wrote:

Is this another case of proprietary interface?

Depends on the point of view. It was made by IBM, creator of the IBM PC line. 😉
So if the creator decides to make improvements/changes to the orginal design, is that "proprietary" or not ?
Anyway, I get the point. Even though the floppy interface as we know it, was non-standard, as well.
The original Shugart floppy interface was different from that the first IBM PCs used.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

Yes proprietary. Power is supplied through the ribbon cable. Yes 2.88meg floppies are special. Test using a system with the same interface, a PS/2 system most likely. Good luck.

OK thanks. Probably will not mess with it, then.

Reply 4 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
precaud wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

OK thanks. Probably will not mess with it, then.

No problem mate. Some folk make a mountain out of a mole hill when the outcome is obvious. Give/sell it to a PS/2 guy is the best thing you can do with it. They're prone to there own problems, caps going and the like. This thread will tell you all you need know and then some. https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r6949611-2-8 … MB-Floppy-Drive

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 6, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2.88M floppies are one of those deals where if you can get something out of it, it's nice, go ahead; however if you can't, there's no shame in it. 1.44M drives will handle roughly 99.998% of the disks you'll find in the wild anyway.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE