VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was looking for win98 AGP drivers and they support up to a point where cards like:

geforce 6800xe AGP
geforce 6800xt AGP
geforce 7600gs AGP

are not listed anymore as supported on the nvidia last win98 drivers.
I know there was an BFG edition of 7800 GS OC AGP that they made it work with windows98 with a modified driver they included on their website.

then i found what it looks like a modified driver that could work:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/NV8269.EXE

i wanted to know if you have any of those agp cards, and what drivers are you using for windows98 and if there is any problem or limitation for using modified drivers.

Reply 1 of 3, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

lots of people for very long time. works fine don't expect really old games to work with anything newer than FX series GPUs. but thats not what you asked, just think it should be said that you shouldn't think just becasue it works just fine all games should work on cards without table fog support and 8 bit palatalized textures. Howver it does mean that you can run nglide on a 6-7 series gpu and it should play windows glide games just fine on 98se

Reply 2 of 3, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested a GeForce 7950 GT AGP 256 MB on modified 8xx drivers for Win98SE.

3D Mark 2001 ran fine, as did most newer games. However, I could run these newer games on even faster GPUs. I tested an old Win98SE game, Flanker 2, in 32bit colour and there was colour banding on the sky box. GeForce 6800 Ultra had less banding, but Voodoo 5 and GeForce 5900 Ultra ran the game fine, so I dropped the 6 and 7 series.

Reply 3 of 3, by Duouk2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a 6800GT until recently when I switched it out for an FX card. Too many games had issues with it sadly.

Newer games were generally fine of course but they were more in the XP era and didn't need a 9x box.