VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well not if you have prime or order more ^^, but you're right, I didn't notice the plating, but it's not like any 3DFX cards have gold plated connectors anyways as far as I know, I do actually try to avoid using gold plated connectors for that reason a lot.

also for me personally I don't benefit from free shipping on ebay anyways as I'm not in germany ^^

Last edited by imi on 2019-10-04, 12:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 39, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote:
Cable quality varied greatly between cards. If you look up old reviews the quality has always been subject of discussion. Rule o […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

Are the original passthrough cables considered good quality or are some of the cables mentioned here even better than the original ones?

Cable quality varied greatly between cards. If you look up old reviews the quality has always been subject of discussion. Rule of thumb back then was mostly "thicker cable = better quality". On the other hand thick cables aren't as flexible as thinner ones.
Good VGA cables use internal coax cables for RBG and twisted pair for sync. Cheap cables are almost always thinner because they have twisted pair or straight cables for all signals and only one layer of shielding simultaniously acting as common ground.
Imho the worst cables came with the Miro Hiscore 3D (2) because VGA was adapted to 9pin mini DIN so they used straight internal straight wires for everything.

I think both of my cables are ones that come with diamond monster cards. One with white connectors came with Diamond monster 3d and one with blue connectors came with diamond monster 3D II

Reply 22 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote:
The amazon link advertises a VGA Video Extension Cable. The pictures at the top of the listing show both cable ends with screws […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:

I ended up ordering two of these because they were available on amazon.ca with free shipping. About $14 USD each, shipped.
https://www.amazon.ca/C2G-50235-Select-Extens … /dp/B00CJRRY9M/

The amazon link advertises a VGA Video Extension Cable.
The pictures at the top of the listing show both cable ends with screws to plug into a device.
The listing itself together with the pictures in the listing show the male connector with jackscrews while the female connector has threaded hexagonal sockets to screw another VGA cable into. That's why they're labelled extension cables. You'll have to remove the sockets to plug the cable into your Voodoo card. From the picture I can't tell wether the sockets are screwed onto screws on the female connector so you can simply remove the socket and keep using the screw or if the socket is permanently attatched (making the cable look like the top pictures). Apart from that I really love the design of the connectors. Only downside is the missing kink protection on both ends. (Shouldn't be a problem on Voodoo builds as the cables are only bent in the middle.
I would really appreciate some pictures and a short review once you got the cable! :D

Warlord wrote:

Man, those are some really nice high quality cables from the looks of it! :-) I wish I could find a 30cm pass through cable that nice on German ebay.
The internal construction using coax on RGB signal cables plus twisted pair (probably on both sync) with shielding plus shielding for the whole assembly is basically all you can ask for in terms of signal quality. On regular coax cables a ferrtie filter can help with signal integrity a lot. Due to the good construction (good shielding, individual coax cables and twisted pair) of the cable the ferrite filter on the outside of the VGA cable doesn't improve VGA signal integrity but rather prevents interference with other electronic devices which is another plus.

The photo shows four male threaded screws. Isn't this what we want for a Vodooo? I trust the photo. In terms of bending, yes, these heavy cables are stiff. I need to permanently bend them into position, and it takes a lot of time and persistence. If I let them stick out the back in their natural form, I could not fit the computer case back onto the shelf when I'm done with it.

This is what my 6" cables look like after being bent. I didn't notice any visible signal loss with the double bend.

Voodoo2_cable_6in_1.jpg
Filename
Voodoo2_cable_6in_1.jpg
File size
292.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Voodoo2_cable_6in_2.jpg
Filename
Voodoo2_cable_6in_2.jpg
File size
356.61 KiB
Views
File license

The benefit of this cable is the short 6" length, the disadvantage is that one end of the cable needs to be screwed in from the inside of the case.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 39, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

€ 3,39 8%OFF | High Premium VGA to VGA Extension Cable Gold-Plated VGA Short Cable 20CM Male to Female VGA Cable
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/NOESlqGY

I use this one, not great, but it's OK. Cheap, but it takes a lot of time to arrive since it ships from China. It is good if you want to keep a spare one.

Reply 25 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks like the spare one I have. It’s ok at 640x480. You really see the quality drop at high resolutions though. My monitor is native at 1280x1024 and this cable isn’t good enough, so I bought another.

Reply 26 of 39, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

The photo shows four male threaded screws. Isn't this what we want for a Vodooo? I trust the photo.

As I said the top photos show the kind of cable you want.
The ones inside the listing show the female connector threaded with hexagonal sockets.
I'm not sure wether they're screwed onto the threaded screws so I'd appreciate some feedback/review once the cable arrives. 😀 I really dig the design of the plugs and if it's the right cable I might order some even if I have to pay for international shipping.

Reply 27 of 39, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok.... I bought TWO of the cables from the Amazon listing I posted. Nobody cared about MY review of them - I don't understand why.

The pictures posted are accurate. I know - shocking, right? On AMAZON?! Yes, they're accurate. Both ends have male thumbscrews with knurled knobs because they are small and are in a tight fitting space. Having an appropriate screwdriver helps a lot if you are using these "permanently".

The length of the cable is the SAME length total as the one I got with my Voodoo2 card, the big black one. The cable is also the same thickness and the same stiffness, just the end-caps are smaller, so the cable "looks" longer than it actually is. If you stretch both cables (old and new) out straight, they are the same length jack to jack.

And yes, both ends have male screws, so you can secure it to both video ports directly without adapters.

The advantage MY listing has over a lot of the other listings is that my link was to an AMERICAN site for an American requestor, so shipping costs drop dramatically, as does shipping wait times. There's also no need for currency conversion. I ALSO specifically listed it because *gasp* it has BOTH ENDS MALE THUMBSCREWS! You know, because you kind-of WANT that for a Voodoo card setup.

Would it have been nicer with gold-plated contacts? Hell yes it would have. But gold ends don't necessarily improve signal transmission. What it does is prevent corrosion on the contact points when they're not being used... or prevents metal-to-metal galvanic corrosion from mixing metal types (like copper/aluminium, etc). Gold is an extremely stable element that doesn't care about Oxygen, so yeah. Good for cables sitting on your shelf. But as someone rightfully pointed out, NONE of the Voodoo cards I've ever seen had gold-plated anything on them, so it must not be necessary for proper functioning. It's mainly a smoke-screen, a way to sell you on something without real justification to back it up. I believe the term is "snake oil"?

And oh yeah, IT HAS MALE THUMBSCREWS ON BOTH ENDS!

Just trying to ram that point home, since the listing and the pictures apparently didn't. By the way, the Earth is an oblate spheroid, not flat. The Earth is NOT the center of the universe, the sun DOES NOT revolve around the Earth, Vaccines are the most effective way to prevent diseases in children, there is no such thing as a gender wage gap, we don't actually know if aliens ever visited Earth in the past but it makes for great television, and Windows Vista was actually a good Operating System despite the negative press it had at launch.

So how 'bout them apples?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 29 of 39, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@FFXIhealer:

He bought two of the cables you linked to from Amazon, so I don't quite get your utterance. He did follow your advice.

There were other links posted because people from other parts of the world asked for them as well. Yes, Earth is not the center of the universe, nor is America.

Reply 30 of 39, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:

For people in The Netherlands looking for pass through VGA cables: https://www.onlinekabelshop.nl/

Do they ship just in Netherlands?

Out of curiosity those smalled gauge cables, are still better than the chinese? I was thinking that is probably better a heavy gauge cable than those ferrite blocks at the ends of the cable.

Reply 32 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

Ok.... I bought TWO of the cables from the Amazon listing I posted. Nobody cared about MY review of them - I don't understand why.

feipoa wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJRRY9M/ … 1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a link to the Amazon item I bought two of to use as my Voodoo1/2 VGA pass-through cables. They're the same thickness to the cables you currently have and they're the same length. They work great - so glad I found them. Try one for yourself.

I ended up ordering two of these because they were available on amazon.ca with free shipping. About $14 USD each, shipped.
https://www.amazon.ca/C2G-50235-Select-Extens … 70147104&sr=8-1

I'm a bit confused by your response as I ordered exactly what you recommended from Amazon.ca. There exist more than just Amazon.com. Usually you order from the Amazon that represents the country you are shipping to.

I continue to be confused bo the other posters concern about what I ordered. Several paragraphs now on this. I trust the photos shown, which all I see are both ends with male thumb screws, more than the wording wording concerning a VGA extension cable.

I ordered the cable to replace the thin one shown in this thread, Re: HELP - Voodoo on a socket 4 Pentium motherboard , and will report back on the quality difference when it arrives.

Reply 33 of 39, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

The pictures posted are accurate. I know - shocking, right? On AMAZON?! Yes, they're accurate. Both ends have male thumbscrews with knurled knobs because they are small and are in a tight fitting space. Having an appropriate screwdriver helps a lot if you are using these "permanently".

FFXIhealer wrote:

And yes, both ends have male screws, so you can secure it to both video ports directly without adapters.

FFXIhealer wrote:

I ALSO specifically listed it because *gasp* it has BOTH ENDS MALE THUMBSCREWS! You know, because you kind-of WANT that for a Voodoo card setup.

FFXIhealer wrote:

And oh yeah, IT HAS MALE THUMBSCREWS ON BOTH ENDS!

FFXIhealer wrote:

Just trying to ram that point home, since the listing and the pictures apparently didn't.

Just posting two pictures I saved from that very same listing you posted. As I said they show hexagonal sockets on one cable end and from the pictures I can't tell wether the sockets can be removed leaving a screw or wether they're permanently attatched. Can you now understand why I'm asking?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    8.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    7.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 34 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doornkaat, when I click on the link I ordered from, I do not see the photo you posted. All photos I see in the browser window have four male ended thumb screws. And from the sound of it, FFXIhealer sees the same as I do. Not sure why your photos are different.

Voodoo_passthrough_four_thumb_screws.jpg
Filename
Voodoo_passthrough_four_thumb_screws.jpg
File size
272 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 35 of 39, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I went looking to source suitable cables for this exact function (connecting a discrete graphics card's VGA output to the input on the back of a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 card), I was looking for two things: 1. male thumbscrew ends on BOTH ENDS of the cable and 2. short length. I wasn't looking for a 15' long cable to just sit on the ground or to hang off the back of a desk. I wasn't looking for a VGA splitter cable to have an empty, unused end of the dongle just hanging there, increasing the mechanical load on the VGA connector of the first graphics card. I was entertaining thinner VGA cables, but having read of all the issues of artifacts and unwanted signal degredation, muted colors, etc, that plague people using lesser cables, I found myself not wanting to deal with thinner cables that I "thought" had less shielding. This is also another reason for not wanting a super-long VGA cable. "The shorter, the better" was my thinking.

I would say I found one of the best fits for the application, so I bought two to test out for myself. And test them I did. I have one of the big thick ones that seem to have come originally with the Voodoo cards, so I was comparing the signal quality of the exact same system and card setup, just swapping out the cables. And there is no discernable difference in video quality between the two. Colors are the same, the picture seems very sharp for the resolution. Note that I am not a professional photo editor or anything like that, so my opinion on colors is probably not even worth a dime, but it is what it is.

Having tested the cables and found them good, I made certain to bookmark the link to that exact item I bought in case people come asking for a similar cable, such as the OP did in this thread. If the cable didn't fulfil all of the functions necessary, I would not have recommended it on this forum. Period. I'm not going to waste anyone's time on a product I have not verified myself. It's why I pass on posting on 99% of the posts on these forums. If I have nothing useful to add to the discussion, why would I post, ya know?

Granted, a U.S. purchase site doesn't exactly work for someone in, say, Denmark. Or Austria. Or Italy. Etc. So for that, someone else would have to give a recommendation on either where to buy that cable or to where to buy a similar cable. Nobody wants to pay stupid amounts of money on shipping, so I agree with people on this and good on you guys for pointing it out. None of this I had an issue with.

So when someone first came up and said something to the effect of "well, most cables like this have thumbscrews on only one end of the cable and the other has female sockets for screws," I answer - Ok, valid point... but no, both ends have male screws. I'm literally holding that exact item in my hands. It has male screws.

"Yeah, but the listing says it's a VGA Extension cable and those always have... " No, dude. Again, I'm literally holding it in my hands and I'm telling you it's what they asked for.

"You say that, but this picture here..." (a picture no one else can find on the page I listed, by the way) Ok, now it looks like you're just trolling me on purpose. So yeah, I'm gonna fire back a snarky retort because now I'm getting annoyed. This forum wasn't intended to house trolls - it was supposed to be informative, where people can ask questions and get answers on really old tech that doesn't have a lot of on-line documentation anymore. And if I get censored by the Forum Administrators for losing my cool, so be it. I'll take the slap on the wrist for my behavior. I was just trying to help out the OP and I don't like people questioning the accuracy of my posts when I am QUITE LITERALLY holding the cable in my hand while I type my responses.

To the OP who bought one of the cables, I'd like you to give us YOUR honest opinion of the cables when you get it. Test it out and tell us what YOU think. And tell us if you would recommend it to other people or not. I don't want people just taking MY word for it. I'd much rather get a consensus on the matter. These types of cables do seem hard to source, as MOST VGA cables are at least 1.5 meters long and would be unsuitable for the application.

To Doornkaat, I apologize. I lost my temper and I am sorry I got snarky.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 36 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cable arrived today. Actual photos from my camera attached. Both ends have male thumb screws, though it comes with this female-female union joint that can be unscrewed. I prompted unscrewed it. I'll test the cables later this evening.

C2G_50235_pass_through_cable_2.jpg
Filename
File size
354.69 KiB
Views
File license
C2G_50235_pass_through_cable_1.jpg
Filename
File size
235.57 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 37 of 39, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Cable arrived today. Actual photos from my camera attached. Both ends have male thumb screws, though it comes with this female-female union joint that can be unscrewed. I prompted unscrewed it. I'll test the cables later this evening.

Nice, looks good

Reply 38 of 39, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some final images of the cable installed and how I angled it so that I can back the case up to a wall for storage.

Folded_cable_1.jpg
Filename
Folded_cable_1.jpg
File size
226.63 KiB
Views
File license
Folded_cable_2.jpg
Filename
Folded_cable_2.jpg
File size
268.6 KiB
Views
File license

This is the cable that was replaced. It measures 5.92 mm in diameter, while the new cable measures 8.57 mm. The 6" long cable I've shown previously in the thread measures 9.14 mm.

6mm_cable_image.jpg
Filename
6mm_cable_image.jpg
File size
216.78 KiB
Views
File license

I've taken photos of the LCD monitor with the 5.92 mm cable and with the 8.57 mm cable. I realise this isn't the most scientific means to share the image quality, but I felt that it somewhat accurately portrays what my eye balls saw. In heinsight, I should have put the camera on manual mode so that the exposure and what balance were the same, but nevermind.

The 5.92 mm cable

Voodoo_passthrough_6mm.jpg
Filename
Voodoo_passthrough_6mm.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license

The 8.57 mm cable (from Amazon)

Voodoo_passthrough_9mm.jpg
Filename
Voodoo_passthrough_9mm.jpg
File size
1.95 MiB
Views
File license

You may need to download the photos in full resolution to see the difference. It was definitely noticeable in person. I'm using a VirgeGX and the crispness of the screen felt about the same without the Voodoo card installed. My other system with the 9.14 mm cable is using a Matrox G200, so I can't directly compare these two systems.

I really like the low profile cable ends. I can get the case about an inch closer to the wall compared to my 6" cable.

Reply 39 of 39, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I really like the low profile cable ends. I can get the case about an inch closer to the wall compared to my 6" cable.

yeh the C2G VGA cables are tops, the low profile heads really help when doing something like an Extron matrix switch setup where the input density is really high