VOGONS

First post, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just upgraded my TYAN S2466 from 1.5GB to 3.5GB and Windows Me will no longer boot. It get's as far as loading the mouse driver and then the system spontaneously reboots.

After some checking this happens with >= 2.0 GB. Is there an incantation to get Windows 98/Me to run with 3.5GB please?

I know the memory is OK as the same system happily runs 2003 SP2 + WXP SP3 + NT4 SP6a with all 3.5GB installed.

file.php?id=69904

When I installed 4.0GB the system would not post and suspect this is because the GPUs use from 3.5 to 4.0GB

Attachments

• RAP.png
    Filename
    RAP.png
    File size
    59.39 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    2003 SP2 with 3.5GB
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 9x have issues with more than 512MB of ram. Depending of the setup, issues will be starting from 512MB+ to 1.5GB+.

There are many ways to solve this, but now that Rudolph Loew's patch is free, the best and simplest solution is to use his ram patch : https://archive.org/details/PATCHMEM

This will let you use the entire ram space available (other solutions are more finicky and don't let you use 3.5GB of ram)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

There are many ways to solve this, but now that Rudolph Loew's patch is free

It is actually not free. Someone just uploaded the commercial version to archive.org with the justification that the author passed away. This doesn't make it free in any country I know.

Reply 3 of 8, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that Rudolph Loew is not avalable anymore.
However, I remember I put 768 MB RAM on my old Windows Me pc. It works well.
Do you try to modify windows\system.ini ?

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 4 of 8, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

It is actually not free.

His son has made it clear that he wants us to preserve his fathers software.

It is a busy time right now but I did want to clear the air regarding the patches. I would like them to continue to be distributed, for his work to be remembered and to be beneficial to others. So, please, freely distribute what you may have in terms of the work my dad did.

Unless someone else claims the rights to this software, that makes it free in my opinion.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 5 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless he disinherited his son I think he should be the new right owner of this, and since he wants it free, well now it is.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 8, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, Me is now running with 3.5GB so I no longer need to remove DIMMs when I wish to boot it, but GlobalMemoryStatus() only returns 2.0GB even though SIV32L is linked with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win3 … balmemorystatus

file.php?id=69916
I wonder how system properties managed to get 3.5GB

Attachments

• RAP.png
    Filename
    RAP.png
    File size
    38.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Windows Me with 3.5GB
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well since windows 9x was never made to handle this much RAM, it's possible some program report an incorrect value.

Reply 8 of 8, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Well since windows 9x was never made to handle this much RAM, it's possible some program report an incorrect value.

It's a case of garbage in results in garbage out and the correct solution is to fix Windows 9x/Me to report correctly.

It's easy enough to read the installed memory size from the MCH and fix dwTotalPhys, but dwAvailPhys is also limited to 2GB and I suspect it's impossible to work around this.

file.php?id=69922

Attachments

• RAP.png
    Filename
    RAP.png
    File size
    24.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Windows Me with SIV showing 3.50GB
    File license
    Public domain