Rank Member
Rank

I have an Asus P3B-F and a sloket adapter, and so I can choose between:

• Pentium III 1GHz (133 FSB) Socket 370
    Pentium II 450MHz Slot 1

The rest of the build is:
AGP Voodoo 4 4500 - hoping to put in a Voodoo 2 eventually
SB AWE 64

This build is aimed to be my daily driver and will be at my desk, connected to my main monitor, so it is what I'll fire up when I feel like playing some DOS games from the 90s, though some Windows games like the D3D version for Mechwarrior 2, GLQuake and Virtua Fighter 2 are not out of the question. I understand that with my needs, any of these processors would suit just fine, given that I mostly play FPS's like Doom, Duke3d and Blood, but wanted to hear other people's thoughts. Here's a short pros and cons list for each:

* Pentium III:
Pros:
- Highest clock rate, 133 FSB = more FPS 😀
- I get to use the sloket!!! Super cool and I always wanted to use one back in the day. I know, it's silly...
Cons:
- Locked multiplier - I do play some speed sensitive games every now and then, like Lotus 3, Jazz Jackrabbit, Alone in the Dark (trigerring run gets tricky) and Prince, so that could be an issue. I understand I could disable L1/L2 but I find that sometimes it causes some choppiness on those games
- 133 FSB - it's a bit of a hack on the i440BX chipset, and on this Asus board, it also overclocks the AGP interface to 2/3 of the FSB, something that could cause instability

* Pentium II
Pros:
- Unlocked multiplier- I can downclock it to 66mhz, theoretically
- I get to use a Slot processor! They're just charming, dontcha think?
Cons:
- Probably won't be able to run Duke3d or Blood at anything over 640x480
- I already own two Pentium III laptops (550MHz and 750MHz) so that speed range is already covered

Speak your mind 😀

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 2 of 27, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The common Pentium II 450MHz Slot 1 is multiplier locked as far as I know so it runs only at 450Mhz @ 4.5 x fsb100 or 300Mhz @ 4.5 x fsb66.
You can find details on unlocked and multiplier limited Pentiums in this thread:
Which Pentium IIs can be underclocked?

Last edited by PARKE on 2019-10-09, 10:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 27, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me Coppermine/tualatin P3 is the best all around retro build hands down, so it's my vote. Everybody always mentions the speed sensitive games but are you really going to spend THAT much time on them? It's up to you to decide how critical they are, and that can be a rabbit hole. Also I believe those games would run perfectly fine in DOSBox on the P3 itself in a pinch. 800mhz coppermine will run half-life nicely and can go into year 2000 games like Diablo II. If it's critically important to get games like wing commander running perfectly while still having the ability to play later 9x titles, maybe consider a s7/ss7 build instead. If you need EVERYTHING to run perfectly, you'll have to get quite a few computers 😜

Also I don't believe Jazz Jackrabbit is speed sensitive (as mentioned by OP). It's been a number of years since I've played that but as far as I know it was just compiled with an old version of Turbo Pascal that breaks at 200mhz, run a readily available patching tool (tppatch.exe??) and it will run perfectly fine on machines above 200mhz.

Quick search brings this up: https://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/341/jazz-1-tppatch/
Try running that in your jazz directory and running it on your faster system.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 27, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not get a 1GHz + 100 MHz Slot 1 Pentium-III such as http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL4BR.html? Given the Voodoo 4 is quite uncommon then an uncommon CPU would seem appropriate

Reply 5 of 27, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The P!!! - 1 GHz would possibly also run at 66 and 100 MHz FSB, giving you 500 and 750 MHz respectively. At these speeds your AGP will also be inside specs.

On the other hand, the PII would also run at 66 MHz FSB, thus 300 MHz.

As written by others, I would think the Mendocino core is multiplier locked - only the first few production weeks, they were limited, rather than locked, IIRC.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aside from being anal about period correctness there is absolutely no point in going with a slow P2 rather than a fast P3.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 27, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Aside from being anal about period correctness.

I would argue that a P-III is period correct as it was quite common for swap out P-II CPUs for P-III CPUs.

I did this myself on my Gigabyte GA-6BXD system, I started with 2 x P-II 450 and when they came out upgraded to a pair of 1GHz (100MHz FSB) P-III slot 1 CPUs which my system still has.

Reply 8 of 27, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote:

As written by others, I would think the Mendocino core is multiplier locked - only the first few production weeks, they were limited, rather than locked, IIRC.

You must have meant deschutes, because Mendocino is the celeron's core 😁 (and they've all been locked entirely). If I understand properly, the earliest deschutes are totally unlocked, later they were limited and finally they were locked. They may be some limited p2 450 out there, but they must be pretty rare.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 27, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
H3nrik V! wrote:

You must have meant deschutes, because Mendocino is the celeron's core 😁 (and they've all been locked entirely). If I understand properly, the earliest deschutes are totally unlocked, later they were limited and finally they were locked. They may be some limited p2 450 out there, but they must be pretty rare.

Yeah, you're right, I ment Deschutes .. Mendocino didn't sound right either, but I was only on my third or fourth mug of coffee today, so anything might have sounded wrong 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 10 of 27, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all replies! Indeed, as many have pointed out, the Pentium II multiplier is locked to 4, so the lowest it can go is 266MHz - it is a 400MHz model, not 450MHz as I had previously stated.

I was able to apply the Jazz Jackrabbit patch and that solved the speed issue (I remember reading about that patch before but it was a long time ago and I forgot, thanks for the folks who raised this up); Alone in the Dark seemed just as hard to trigger the run on the 266MHz Pentium III as it did on the Pentium III 1GHz.

I'll go with the Pentium III- the only real pro for using the Pentium II didn't turn out as I expected, so really makes no sense on having it on my main build. Maybe later in the future when I have room to have multiple builds....

Last edited by bregolin on 2019-10-09, 20:23. Edited 1 time in total.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE

Reply 11 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bregolin wrote:

Thanks for all replies! Indeed, as many have pointed out, the Pentium II multiplier is locked to 4, so the lowest it can go is 266MHz - it is a 400MHz model, not 450MHz as I had previously stated.

I was able to apply the Jazz Jackrabbit patch and that solved the speed issue (I remember reading about that patch before but it was a long time ago and I forgot, thanks for the folks who raised this up); Alone in the Dark seemed just as hard to trigger the run on the 266MHz Pentium III as it did on the Pentium III 1GHz.

I'll go with the Pentium III- the only real pro for using the Pentium III didn't turn out as I expected, so really makes no sense on having it on my main build. Maybe later in the future when I have room to have multiple builds....

I have a pentium II 300Mhz cpu that can go down to 2x66Mhz with asus P2B motherboard. There must be some kind of differences between P2 cpus.

Reply 12 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:
bregolin wrote:

I'll go with the Pentium III- the only real pro for using the Pentium III didn't turn out as I expected, so really makes no sense on having it on my main build. Maybe later in the future when I have room to have multiple builds....

I have a pentium II 300Mhz cpu that can go down to 2x66Mhz with asus P2B motherboard. There must be some kind of differences between P2 cpus.

You probably have an early production Klamath CPU that is multiplier unlocked. Hold onto it.

Reply 13 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Baoran wrote:
bregolin wrote:

You probably have an early production Klamath CPU that is multiplier unlocked. Hold onto it.

But is there any speed sensitive game that doesn't work at 300Mhz but starts working if you slow it down to 133Mhz? Basically I am asking if there is any practical advantage for being able to slow down the cpu when it comes to P2 CPUs?

Reply 15 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are DOS games that go bonkers when the CPU is clocked beyond (or is it at?) 200MHz.

Reply 16 of 27, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bregolin wrote:

- 133 FSB - it's a bit of a hack on the i440BX chipset, and on this Asus board, it also overclocks the AGP interface to 2/3 of the FSB, something that could cause instability

The i440BX chipset on the Asus board has no problems with 133MHz, but you might want to check first whether your expensive Voodoo card likes almost 89MHz FSB. NVIDIA Riva TNT2 and more recent work fine with it. https://www.anandtech.com/show/574

Reply 17 of 27, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:

The i440BX chipset on the Asus board has no problems with 133MHz, but you might want to check first whether your expensive Voodoo card likes almost 89MHz FSB. NVIDIA Riva TNT2 and more recent work fine with it. https://www.anandtech.com/show/574

That was an excellent article, thanks for sharing it! AnandTech and Tom's Hardware were all I needed back in the day...

Yep, I had been running the 440BX at 133 FSB with no issues, but it looks like my Voodoo 4 is about to give up; video memory tests shows memory errors and it would eventually lock up with 133 FSB when playing games. These memory errors are also present with 100 or 66 FSB, but at 100 FSB it seems much more stable as I played many games for a long period of time with no crashes. It is being properly cooled and it has never been overclocked before, so I guess it's just dying of old age. Sad.

Reply 18 of 27, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

There are DOS games that go bonkers when the CPU is clocked beyond (or is it at?) 200MHz.

Is it about clock speed or actual speed of the cpu though?
I don't know how 133Mhz 486, 133Mhz Pentium and 133Mhz Pentium II cpus compare to each other when it comes to actual cpu speeds though? IPC are different, but not sure how much.

Reply 19 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Is it about clock speed or actual speed of the cpu though?
I don't know how 133Mhz 486, 133Mhz Pentium and 133Mhz Pentium II cpus compare to each other when it comes to actual cpu speeds though? IPC are different, but not sure how much.

It's specifically about the clockspeed.