VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I acquired a Model M keyboard, from 1998. Still one of those with buckling springs, model 1391403. It works well, EXCEPT for the backspace key. It feels very mushy and does not jump back quickly. I wonder why that is. Is the spring worn out?
Any ideas on how to fix that?

EDIT: I just put the keycap of the accent key right next to it in there, and it depresses just fine. So I guess it must have something to do with that green guide thingy.

08906801-3D7A-49C4-9B16-E2EFBFF08C16.jpeg
Filename
08906801-3D7A-49C4-9B16-E2EFBFF08C16.jpeg
File size
172.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
D86E55E6-C0CF-4B63-A855-66D675A3DE3E.jpeg
Filename
D86E55E6-C0CF-4B63-A855-66D675A3DE3E.jpeg
File size
187.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually that means the spring is jammed under the keycap. If so you're in luck, all you need to do is hold the spring in the middle of the hole (i.e. by lifting up the front of the keyboard) while you plop on the keycap. Good chance that will fix it.

Alternately, as it's a stabilized key, it could be the stabilizer getting rough. It might need a little bit of lube...

Reply 2 of 5, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Usually that means the spring is jammed under the keycap. If so you're in luck, all you need to do is hold the spring in the middle of the hole (i.e. by lifting up the front of the keyboard) while you plop on the keycap. Good chance that will fix it.

Alternately, as it's a stabilized key, it could be the stabilizer getting rough. It might need a little bit of lube...

I assume now it's the latter. As I wrote in the edit, with a different unstabilized keycap, it depresses correctly. I read one shouldn't use synthetic oil based lubrication. What kind of grease would be ok?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure I would use grease at all.

I would pop the stabilizer off and clean it and the hole it goes into. Chances are that there is just some dirt or fuzz in there and/or the plastic has worn a bit and has plastic dust in there. Either way, cleaning it should make it work fine again.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Not sure I would use grease at all.

I would pop the stabilizer off and clean it and the hole it goes into. Chances are that there is just some dirt or fuzz in there and/or the plastic has worn a bit and has plastic dust in there. Either way, cleaning it should make it work fine again.

Ok, i will try that, too. Wonder if some pincers will get the stabilizer out...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 5 of 5, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: before doing anything with the keyboard I swapped out the numpad 0-key with the backspace key and noticed that the 0-key works just fine in the backspace position, whereas the backspace keycap is still sticky within the 0-numpad position. So it must have something to do with the keycap itself. I notice that the backspace key has a small ridge in the guide for the buckling spring. Maybe that makes a difference? Other than that both keycaps look identical.

Anyway, I ordered a replacement backspace keycap and a handful of replacement buckling springs, just to be sure, as well as one guide inset. So lets see if that will make a difference.

YouTube and Bonus