VOGONS

First post, by JimKusznir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all:

I'm maintaining some old PCs (486-Pentium I) for a specialized machining machine. The computer only ever runs one program (a DOS one), which is a special purpose CNC control program. They do not, nor have they ever, had any form of windows on it. It uses two ISA cards to control the machine. It also uses a Game Port joystick to do some manual moving and control of the machining tools. The 486 came with a Gamecard III Automatic ISA game port card. We also currently have a special "crosshair generator" ISA card. This puts us at a total of 4 ISA slots, not including video (which we can easily do with PCI). So far I've managed to get by with it, but I'd like to reduce the ISA slot requirements to open up more options going forward, as some of these computers are dying.

Originally, I thought the game port would be easy to replace by putting in a PCI Sound card with game port. However, when I did that, the software never "saw" the game port. Growing up, when these computers were "new", I never did mess with game ports, so I don't know if there are any magic things needed to make a PCI Sound card's game port show up in DOS to applications, or is this a lost cause (eg, the software was likely written directly to the specified game port card, and will only use that one).

I appreciate any knowledge from those with more experience with game ports and DOS!

Thanks!
--Jim

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JimKusznir wrote:

The 486 came with a Gamecard III Automatic ISA game port card.

Hi Jim. The game card is indeed interesting. While I can't give any advices right now, I think it may help other forum members
to help you if I quote a few lines from the manual:

"The Gamecard 3 Automatic is the most advanced game card available.
It will automatically provide the correct gameport timing for your computer without requiring you to set any switches or adjust any dials.
Currently, the Gamecard 3 is tested for computers running as fast as 550 MHz and is expected to operate in those running even faster!
It works like this: the Gamecard 3 software determines the speed of the I/O Bus in combination with the CPU speed of your computer and
automatically programs the Gamecard 3 to generate the precise timing signals for optimum joystick operation.
The Gamecard 3 Automatic is easy to set up. It doesn’t use any of your computer system’s memory (RAM) because it has its own memory on board.
This onboard memory is volatile--that is, its data is lost when power is turned off. Thus, it must be reprogrammed each time the power is turned on.
The Gamecard 3 software automates this by inserting a command in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file that runs every time you boot your system.
All this is explained in the electronic manual that is copied to your hard drive during installation.
"

Source: http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/misc/CH_Gamecard3_Auto.pdf

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI cards always require some init software first to enable their ports and whatnot.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜