VOGONS

First post, by dominik0801

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

This is my first post here, so I hope I write this in the right category. Well I'm working on a 4 player based LAN party at my place with my firends. The computers are mostly based on P3 CPUs and Geforce2 videocards. We had the first LAN/test session on saturday. However, one of the PCs just wouldn't start any OpenGL games at all. In fact, JJ2 and any other non-opengl/2d games were also laggy as hell on that system. I thought it is a videocard problem, so I changed it to another, that was a known working one, but that didn't help either.

The motherboard is a Soltek SL65FVB. It has a VIA 693A chipset. The operating system is Windows ME on all PCs (because the soundcards I use are WDM and win98 won't work with them, but WinME runs every DOS game perfectly along with windows games).

One of the PCs also have a 693A chipset, it's an ABIT VL6. With that PC, I had a lot problems. When I installed it, and tried to game, I was getting blusecreens, crashes, freezes, restarts, and if the game eventually ran (after trying out millions of nvidia drivers, too), Quake3 benchmark only managed to get 20-25FPS. Although with that system, a simple VIA4in1 installation fixed the problem.

However, the via4in1 that soltek provided me with on the motherboard CD, just wouldn't even install (in my opinion). (the cd says "win95/98" drivers tho. maybe thats why?). I installed the 4.43 version, which then made the computer get the same bluescreen messages as the abit one before I installed the 4in1 drivers on it.

So after I installed the same I installed on the abit system (via4in1 4.56), I tried to run the games again, which was a success, because it would now run. But now I'm stuck at the same poor performance (20-25FPS) as the Abit had before the drivers.. my whole yesterday afternoon was about to fix this issue with different drivers, videocards, CPUs, but nothing helped. Reseting the bios didn't make a change eiher.

What could be the problem? The drivers? The motherboard itself? BIOS settings? Or should I just try to install Win98 and try the drivers the motherboard CD has? (i don't really like the last option, since the computer has all the games installed with the winme install already, and it was a long work to get them on that pc).
Any tips?

Thanks in advance,

Dominik.

Reply 3 of 6, by dominik0801

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nahkri wrote:

Have you tried updating the bios to the latest you can find?

BIOS update on an old motherboard, that I don't have a BIOS writer for (like I have for new SPI chip based BIOSes), is the last thing I want to think about. If I f.. something up, I can't fix it.

However, if nothing gonna work today, I am going to try it.

Reply 4 of 6, by dominik0801

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote:

Uninstall the AGP drivers. Via had sucky AGP not to mention severe compatibility issues with Live /Audigy cards.

Uninstalling the AGP drivers will result in that games won't even start, or freeze up the whole computers. In rare cases, BSODs and restarts will occur. So, unfortunately, the drivers are needed.

The versions I tried so far: 4.35, 4.43, 4.56, 4.55p.

I just popped in a VGA from another, working LAN PC and installed the exact same nvidia driver I have on them, so I could see if it's an nvidia driver problem. Still no luck, same things happen.

In the meantime, I'm installing Win98SE on another HDD, so I don't have to delete my WinME installation, but I can check, if Win98 works alright. Wish me luck, I am the maddest boy rn.

Reply 5 of 6, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominik0801 wrote:

BIOS update on an old motherboard, that I don't have a BIOS writer for (like I have for new SPI chip based BIOSes), is the last thing I want to think about. If I f.. something up, I can't fix it.

However, if nothing gonna work today, I am going to try it.

As long as you get the right bios for the board,the only way to f.. it up,is if theres a power shortage at your place.
I updated all my boards bioses,without owning a bios updater plus the power company cuts the power sometimes around the area,so far no f.. ups 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by dominik0801

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I just figured it out. I installed Win98 on another HDD, and started to test thingies. Without the via4in1 driver the games still didn't run. However, to my surprise, after installing the 4in1 package, everything was fine. We went up from 20 to 40FPS, and it was running smoothly the whole time.

So I was ready to format the WinME installation to install Win98 on the PC, but then I said to myself, let's install the soundcard driver and test with that again.

Well. And I found the problem. As soon as I installed the soundcard, the whole system became unstable and slow. So I went back to the ME installation, deleted the drivers, took out the soundcard, and now everything works fine. However, now I will have to get another PCI soundcard. 😒

Thanks for the answers, tho.