VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know how to force the installation of SCSI host controller drivers in Windows 2000 when the SCSI host controller is not presently installed? This works in NT4 just fine, but for W2K, when you are installing device drivers through add/remove hardware, W2K insists on seeing the device present before it will install the SCSI drivers.

Unfortunately, I do not have an extra PCI slot to install the SCSI drivers in. The board has two PCI slots - video, and SCSI controller A. If I want to switch the host controller from SCSI controller A, but keep the same hard drive, I need to install the drivers for controller B while still having controller A running. If I had a 3rd PCI slot, I could do this. If I have just the 2 PCI slots, but am only using NT4 or Win9x, I can force install the drivers for controller B without it being present. But how to force install SCSI drivers in W2K with the controller B not being present?

Thanks!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normally, you just right-click on the .inf file and select "install". After that, it has been added to Windows' driver storage and the hardware should work immediately once installed later.

Reply 3 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. Never heard of dpinst - I'll try it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ff544842%28v=vs.96%29

Driver Package Installer (DPInst) version 2.1 is a component of Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx) version 2.1. DIFx simplifies and customizes the installation of driver packages for devices that have not yet been installed in a computer. This type of installation is commonly known as a software-first installation. DPInst also automatically updates the drivers for any installed devices that are supported by the newly installed driver packages.
The DPInst tool is located in the redist\DIFx subdirectory of the Windows Driver Kit (WDK).

I see Microsoft still has listed a WDK 7.1.0 for XP and W2K3. Is this the one I want for use on Windows 2000 /w DPInst 2.1? It is half way down the page, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hard … r-wdk-downloads

EDIT: WDK 7.1.0 documentation mentions it doesn't support driver development for W2K. So I'm guessing I need to get 7.0.0 and install it to my W2K system and how do I use DPInst to get the RAID driver installed onto the W2K HDD so that it knows to look for this driver upon boot (when I move the HDD into the other system)?

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-10-13, 04:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"The DPInst tool is located in the redist\DIFx subdirectory of the Windows Driver Kit (WDK)."
Well, it certainly is not located in the WDK 7.1.0 package I downloaded.

EDIT: I'm thinking WDK 7.1.0 is an update for WDK 7.0.0, which had been publicly available from Microsoft, but has disappeared from their online offerings. From what I can discern, DPInst 2.1.0 came with WDK 7.0.0 for Windows 7.

Or, as mentioned by derSammler, will right clicking 'Install' on OEMSETUP.INF get the SCSI RAID drivers installed sufficiently for moving the HDD to the other system?

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached 32bit and 64bit executables. Don't get excited over 2000 64bit. I just put 2000 in the name to let you know the exe works on 2000 and above. The 64bit is obviously for XP and above.

Rename executables to dpinst.exe
Rename dpinst.txt to dpinst.xml
Put dpinst.exe and dpinst.xml at root of driver folder.
Execute with dpinst.exe /S /LM /SA /SE or whichever switches you want.

These were taken from the WDK for Windows 2008. The WDK for 7/2008R2 doesn't have a working dpinst for vanilla Windows 2000.

Attachments

• Filename
    dpinst.txt
    File size
    98 Bytes
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Windows200064.zip
    File size
    314.17 KiB
    Downloads
    52 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Windows200032.zip
    File size
    301.68 KiB
    Downloads
    99 downloads
    File license

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks DosFreak! This should come in helpful for anyone upgrading their HDD controller card in W2K and XP with limited PCI slots. I should point out that derSammler's suggestion of right-click on oemsetup.inf, then Install did not work.

I should mention, though, that I remembered my motherboard had an onboard VGA port. So I had pulled out my graphics card to use the PCI slot for the new SCSI host controller driver installation. But I have run into this issue before, so I'll be sure to try the DPInst method in the future.