VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having an issue here I can't seem to crack. Networking isn't my strong suit and I'm still rebuilding my DOS abilities so I can't tell where the issue is coming from, whether it's a software bug, memory mapping issue, or hardware conflict. Anybody want to take a shot at helping me troubleshoot?

I'm trying to initialize the packet driver [EPROPKT.COM] included with this ISA network card (thanks liqmat) on my 286 w/ 1mb dram (thanks liqmat) running MS-DOS 6.22 alone, however once it finishes and returns to the prompt, I can no longer type. The machine is not frozen, cursor continues to blink, but keyboard is dead. I've tried using multiple different IRQ and software interrupts to no avail. I know for sure IRQ 3 is free, Network card is configured to IRQ 7 now and I have nothing running on software interrupts 0x60-0x66, the card is at i/o port 0x210 and works without issue otherwise. I have to hard reset at this point. I redirected the output of EPROPKT.COM into a log file which I will quote at the bottom of this post

The curious thing: I can install Microsoft Network Client 3.0 + TCP/IP drivers and access network shares with no problem, this issue only hits when I try to load the packet driver
I pulled all unused cards from the machine (LPT) leaving me with an ESS audiodrive (I5 / D1 / 0x220), the network card (IRQ 7, 0x210), a single port serial card for mouse (COM1: IRQ4). VGA (Cirrus logic CL-5421), and the MFM/FLOPPY controller. Issue persists if I skip config.sys/autoexec.bat or on any startup combination I can think of.

LOG: (I tried EPROPKT 0x61 3 on this particular attempt)

Packet driver for the Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/10+ LAN Adapter, version 11.10 Supports: ISA, NETID. Portions written by Morien […]
Show full quote

Packet driver for the Intel EtherExpress(TM) PRO/10+ LAN Adapter, version 11.10
Supports: ISA, NETID.
Portions written by Morien W. Roberts; NETID code by M. Robb Main of Megatel.
Packet driver skeleton copyright 1988-95, Crynwr Software.
This program is freely copyable; source must be available; NO WARRANTY.
See the file COPYING.DOC for details; send FAX to +1-315-268-9201 for a copy.

Performing 16 bit I/O transfers.
Testing memory .......
Using twisted pair cable
Using half duplex communication.
System: 286 processor, ISA bus, Two 8259s
Packet driver software interrupt is 0x61 (97)
Interrupt number 0x3 (3)
I/O port 0x210 (528)
My Ethernet address is 00:A0:C9:B4:4B:02

As you can see it appears to succeed, the prompt goes back to C:\IRC (was trying to set up leetirc) and the cursor flashes away, but I can no longer type. Configuring the card to IRQ7 and using 0x7 fails just the same.

Changing the card settings using softset2 to to address 0x240 and IRQ3 also yields the same exact results, packet driver successfully loads but keyboard input dies.. totally stumped. Diagnostics in softset 2 all pass ("This adapter works properly."). Plug and play is disabled.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 1 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try 0x60. That seems to be what all my nic pkt drivers default to on loading. Generally use IRQ 10 and address 340 according to the sticker I put on my CDS524s nic.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have already tried 0x60, changed the card to IRQ 10 and address 340h, same thing, keyboard just goes out after it loads.

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried a diff ISA NIC like a D-Link or anything non-Intel ? Have had bad experiences with some Intel models

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird alright. Seems loading leetirc is the issue here. Try the MTCP suite of programs, in particular ircjr. Leetirc is no longer maintained by Mike Chapman any more and he actually recommends using ircjr on the forums I've met him on. Here's the mTCP link https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/ Its creator mbrutman, another Mike pops in here from time to time.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-10-13, 06:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't get as far as opening leetirc. It just plain dies right there after loading the packet driver and showing C:\_ =\..

Maybe some day I'll have to try another card as horun mentioned, this is all I have for now.

It's too bad none of these programs seem to want to just work with the Microsoft TCP/IP driver which does seem to work. Does that not run a TSR other programs can interface with? I have minimal network programming history.. just another thing to throw into the TODO

Reply 6 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are only running in 640k of conventional memory not 1mb. The MS Dos client using TCPIP only leaves about 380-420k free for other programs to run. This isn't much. A packet driver takes up a damn sight less.

Quick guide on Dos networking https://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networking/ There's a zip file of packet drivers for common nics here http://uncreativelabs.de/downloads/index.php Handy now that the crynwr site no longer exists.

The packet driver has successfully loaded and returns to the Dos prompt as usual. There could be something strange about your system that seems to be causing the lock up. Any odd bios settings specific to your system you use to enhance it? Trying another nic is certainly a good idea.

Reply 7 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Possibly the Intel packet driver requires 386 instructions and hangs the system when it tries to run something that's not there - although given that these cards can run in 8b slots that would be surprising.

Second the suggestion that it's worth trying one of the crynwr drivers if there is one for your cards. Note that I've had issues with some of them (specifically the 3c509 driver) on a more modern (486) system. Whether that's due to bugs or timing issues with the fast CPU I don't know - but your 286 significantly closer to the sort of thing crynwr stuff was written for, and it's not as if your Intel driver is a viable alternative at this point.

Reply 8 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

already tried the crynwr packet driver too.. same results.. ugh!

Ah well, I just wanted to have some fun with the system outside of shared drives on the LAN, maybe I can try out another card in the future, right now it's all I have.

Reply 9 of 9, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the resurrection, but I had the same issue today and I believe I (accidentally) found a solution.
TL;DR
make sure that the Flash chip address is shadowed in BIOS settings.

I'm using the flash on the NIC to boot XT-IDE, and I usually remember to shadow the Flash address, to improve disk performance.
But for some reason the setting in BIOS was reset and I started having the same issue: when loading epropkt - the computer freezes.
Took me some time to troubleshoot, but it is 100% reproducible for me. When the address is shadowed - no freeze and I'm able to run mtcp's dhcp and ftp server. When the address is not shadowed, the computer freezes 1 or 2 seconds after the packet driver is loaded.
Now the question is - why? Does it have anything to do with XT-IDE?

Attachments

• IMG_8179.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_8179.jpg
    File size
    324.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_8180.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_8180.jpg