VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This popped up on my local site (for ten bucks, without a charger.) Anyone know what it is?

87313630_934.jpg
87313632_934.jpg
87313633_934.jpg

Guess how many useful results come up when you search for "ARM laptop", or "ARM computers laptop". No really, just guess.

It really looks like a re-badged Compaq or maybe Toshiba from the era. Would be worth picking up to me if there's a K6+ inside.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's got a Windows key so can't be anything terribly exciting. Any dates on it?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a model number and FCC ID on that bottom pic. I can't make them out at this low res, but either should give you info on what this is. It looks late 1990s, and nothing other than that "ARM" suggests it might actually have an ARM architecture rather than regular x86. Decent chance of a K62+ or a Dixon P2 though.

Reply 4 of 5, by Badscrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, looks like one of the generic laptops made in Taiwan for small brands doing re-badging in the 90's-early 00's. I have one such laptop with a very similar keyboard, made in 2002 with a desktop P4 Celeron inside (and absolutely inadequate cooling). Yours looks like made in the 90's and lower spec.

Reply 5 of 5, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try googling the Model number: green753+ . I’m seeing similar laptops branded maxtech but it’s very tough to get any info. One post on a forum from 1999 suggests the specs might be: Pentium 133.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!