VOGONS

Help Identifying Hardware Thread?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 37, by Branco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ended up never getting the stuff.

Would appreciate though if you could help me remembering the model of my 98 pc hdd.
I know it was from Quantum, a 3.5" with 6.4GB and a weird rotation speed below 5400rpm.

Reply 22 of 37, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only Quantum with a low rpm was the BigFoot at 3600 but it was 5.25" wide not 3.5". There were some Fujitsu, Maxtor and some other companies that had 4800 or 5200 rpm iirc.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 37, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Not quite accurate as they did have sub-5400 RPM 3.5" drives - https://web.archive.org/web/20000407185201/ht … 15_overview.htm - and yes, 4400 (actual) is indeed "Sub 7,200 rpm" 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 24 of 37, by Branco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thanks for the link.
But it couldn't have been a fireball lct15 because those came in a minimum of 7.5GB while mine was 6.4GB. Nd it was indeed a 3.5". 4400rpm sounds about right though, I remember noticing a vast improvement in the pc speed when I swapt the Quantum for a 7200rpm Maxtor ( ironic isn't it?) and got curious about the Quantum specs. I remember thinking it had only marginally faster rpm than a then laptop 4200rpm.

Reply 25 of 37, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem - Quantum did have other 3.5" drive series which were sub-5400 RPM but they were either bigger or smaller than the LCT15. You sure it was Quantum, else maybe @Horun is right re another brand.

Reply 26 of 37, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fireball TM came out in 1997 and was 4500RPM but the largest was 3.8GB.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 27 of 37, by Branco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am absolutely sure of the following:
It was a Quantum
It was 3.5´´
It was 6.4GB

So...if the Quantum wikipage is comprehensive and accurate then the only explanation is I'm wrong about the spindle speed.

Reply 30 of 37, by jaggedjimmyj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone help with identification of those two cards? The bottom and right ones, the third one is obviously just some random Cirrus Logic VGA card. Both look like PCI video cards, but both are unknown for me and their layouts (and also logos on theirs chips) are unlike anything I've seen before. That warning symbol on the PCBs gives us a hint that they are interconnected though.

Maybe those are for Mac or some other non-PC architecture using PCI? Still don't know how to search it so any info is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Reply 31 of 37, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Photos taken from above in higher resolution and / or better focus, where chip details can be read, might be easier to identify

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 32 of 37, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaggedjimmyj wrote on 2021-08-13, 00:44:

Can anyone help with identification of those two cards? The bottom and right ones, the third one is obviously just some random Cirrus Logic VGA card. Both look like PCI video cards, but both are unknown for me and their layouts (and also logos on theirs chips) are unlike anything I've seen before. That warning symbol on the PCBs gives us a hint that they are interconnected though.

Maybe those are for Mac or some other non-PC architecture using PCI? Still don't know how to search it so any info is greatly appreciated.

That stylized "P" logo looks like it might be Pericom . https://www.techonline.com/directory/pericom-semiconductor/

Reply 33 of 37, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-08-13, 01:34:

Photos taken from above in higher resolution and / or better focus, where chip details can be read, might be easier to identify

Seconded. IMHO photos for identification purposes should be similar to:

IMG_20190813_224207.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190813_224207.jpg
File size
931.89 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20190813_224954.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190813_224954.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Unless there's a specific reason preventing you from taking a proper picture.

Reply 34 of 37, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-08-13, 01:37:
jaggedjimmyj wrote on 2021-08-13, 00:44:

That stylized "P" logo looks like it might be Pericom . https://www.techonline.com/directory/pericom-semiconductor/

That other mystery card looks to have an IC from PLX Technology, so between that and Pericom maybe some kind of PCI bridge / interconnect card???

Reply 35 of 37, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2021-08-13, 02:13:
Seconded. IMHO photos for identification purposes should be similar to: IMG_20190813_224207.jpg IMG_20190813_224954.jpg […]
Show full quote
debs3759 wrote on 2021-08-13, 01:34:

Seconded. IMHO photos for identification purposes should be similar to:
IMG_20190813_224207.jpg
IMG_20190813_224954.jpg

Unless there's a specific reason preventing you from taking a proper picture.

Perfect, then you can be all like "R25 is on backwards" 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 36 of 37, by jaggedjimmyj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2021-08-13, 02:13:

Seconded. IMHO photos for identification purposes should be

If I had proper pictures then help with identification probably wouldn't be needed. 😀 These pictures are from a local video card lot. Seller won't send better ones but I thought maybe someone already seen one of those cards and know something about them.

Thank you all for the hints! Still couldn't find the exact cards, but I guess those are outside my interests anyway so the mystery can remain a mystery.

Reply 37 of 37, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Delidded K6 class CPUs didn't have an intel label top and bottom, if you read the bottom one it will have the S Spec on.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.