VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting ready to install Win98, and it booted as normal, but I realized the speaker didn't beep, and it had a POST message saying the brand new CMOS battery had failed? It turned out that the wire had come off one of the case speaker's solder joints and gone to ground, and now the CMOS settings are lost as soon as you turn off the PSU. There is a small cylindrical component next to the CMOS battery - is this a fuse? The board is labeled X2 by this component. It has no continuity, but it also has no voltage to either side. On another motherboard I have handy, that same component (or nearly identical) has continuity.

qIvMnXS.jpg

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote:

This component is a crystal oscillator.

Okay, so that's not the component that's failed/need to be replaced. Thanks for that, any information is good. It seems that finding a schematic for a motherboard this old is hopeless (Google helpfully shows me the manual when I search for a schematic), so I'm hoping one of the old school techs who post here can clue me in on the fuse or diode that has failed.

Reply 3 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I think this is an example of my problem, but without a schematic I'm lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pO-S9VvLg

Reply 5 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I chose that image because I was hoping that cylindrical component next to the CMOS battery was a fuse. Apparently it isn't, but there's no visible damage to any component. But I can take more photos tomorrow.

Here's a nice image of the CMOS battery area I found on the web. https://i.imgur.com/xeGTqBH.jpg
And one of just the board. https://i.imgur.com/QTb1Ouo.jpg

Reply 6 of 7, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Follow the circuit, starting from the pin that shorted to ground. Check every diode, transistor and resistor in the area. The datasheet for the southbridge should be available on the net, check to see if the battery voltage reaches the corresponding pin of the southbridge. Do that with the board powered off and use a needle probe, care not to short adjacent pins.

Reply 7 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As it turns out, correlation doesn't equal cause and effect. I pulled the board out of the case and began poking around with my meter, and I couldn't find 3 volts anywhere. I finally checked across the posts where the CMOS battery holder comes through the PCB, and had no voltage there! It turned out that the negative side of the battery holder had a tiny bit of corrosion that was insulating it - with three volts, it doesn't take much resistance to break the circuit. I scraped it off, and all is well.
This is a big relief, as I bought this board for fun and nostalgia, and it came up for what is now the bargain price of $67.00 shipped. The only one listed right now is priced at $145.00!