VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello !

So yesterday I picked up a pile of motherboards, and I picked up this really nice one :

QDySRNel.jpg

According to the internet it's a PCChips M396F, but what tickled my curiosity is that on all the motherboards pictures I've found, the chipset was renamed "PC Chips" or had a fake sticker, but mine looks untouched (unless they removed any marking and printed something new ontop of the chip, but that's not what they do usually, they prefer to put stickers). Now, was this chipset known before ? I can't find any infos on the internet except that it seems to have been used on a 286 motherboard as well ... which is also made by pcchips.

Is that the true chipset behind the scene or is it something different ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 7, by ricardo.contieri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I also own one of those m396f bur I couldn't make it work with different speeds. In your version of the board, are you able to change the speed of the processor? Are the jumpers working?

TIA

Reply 2 of 7, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, good morning.
I have the same motherboard but it desn't work.
All voltges are present, I see also see the reset pulse in the test card.
The processor warm normally.
Both crystals are runing, 32K and 14M.
Plate was damaged by leak of the battery (as usual) but it was repaired.
For me, probably is a BIOS issue. I do not see data transmission. It looks like dead.
I would like to load a new .bin data file in the BIOS but it is soldered to the plate. I have no enough experience to remove the BIOS chip without to damage the chip and/or the plate.
Therefore I would like to cut the chip pins and desolder one by one. In this case I will destroy the BIOS chip but I will no damage the plate.
The problem is the BIOS chip is not identify, only is writen (after to remove the sticker) M396F1. I tried to find the BIOS chip identification to buy a new or equivalent one but I was not able to find it.
Can you help me?
Thank you very much.
Regards

Reply 7 of 7, by jnemo2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thankyou very much.
Sorry for to give you the thanks so late but I was busy with three motherboards socket 7, none of them works. Apparently everything was OK but they do not run. Two ZIDA and one SOYO. To solve the problem it was very easy just only to put the CR2032 due to without the battery these motherboars does not run.