VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What was tested:
4 of mine Sound Blaster 2.0 (CT1350B) cards. 2 rev. 6 cards (CT1336A), rev. 4 card (CT1336) and rev 2 card (CT1336 as well).
All cards had C/MS chips installed (Suntac's equations used in GAL chips).

Why it was tested:
I wanted to see if there are any audible differences between revisions. Also somebody here at VOGONS asked some time ago about audio samples from real CT1350B...

How it was tested:
I left amps on the cards intentionally enabled (I'm not even sure if amp can be disabled in CT1350B) - in case if there are some noise differences. Volume wheel was cranked up all the way up (the rule of thumb is to use the highest amplification as close to the audio source as possible). DAC gains were set to equalize the uneven channel output of the card and set just below the clipping threshold. Then I recorded the output to my modern PC. All audio samples were recorded in Audacity using 24-bit 192kHz audio, then exported to 24bit FLAC files. I wasn't interested in performing any kind of spectral analysis, SNR analysis and so on against these files - if you are - feel free to do so.
I used following software to test the audio:

ct1350b_revX_background.flac - DOS 6.22 + Volkov Commander for getting some general 'idle' noise (copied some files, navigated through directories)

ct1350b_revX_8088dom-ba.flac - 8088 Domination (Bad Apple part) demo

ct1350b_revX_cms-demo1.flac - default CMS demo from the driver disk

ct1350b_revX_cms-demo2.flac - CMS demo from SONG2 album

ct1350b_revX_gs2000.flac - Gunship 2000

ct1350b_revX_lemm.flac - Lemmings

ct1350b_revX_neointro.flac - Orbital Crew's NeoAdlib - NeoIntro

ct1350b_revX_prince.flac - Prince of Persia

ct1350b_revX_retal.flac - F29 Retaliator

ct1350b_revX_td3_cms.flac - Test Drive 3 with CMS sound

ct1350b_revX_td3_sb.flac - Test Drive 3 with AdLib / Sound Blaster sound

ct1350b_revX_test-sbc.flac - test-sbc.exe from the SB2.0 driver disk

ct1350b_revX_wolf3d.flac - Wolfenstein 3D

Test rig:
Octek FOX-III 286, Harris 20MHz, 4MB RAM, 512MB CF card, 3com 509 ethernet card with XT-IDE ROM, Orchid Prodesigner II VGA card.
Audio from the SB routed to my modern PC via Behringer UMC202HD DAC.

testriga.jpg
Filename
testriga.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What I found out:
There are no serious audible differences between the cards. They all show the same noise characteristics, they all have the same unequal audio output which I had to equalize using gain pots in the DAC (very small differences).

Results (audio files): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VfEh3BN8GSc … D05DdA3DNvPxi3b

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

What's negative about sb2.0 ?

Background noise?
That's probably the most common complaint, and I can confirm - stuff like hard disk activity is clearly heard thru this card...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 11, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

what was your hypothesis, I never owned a SB 2.0 but I read a lot opinions about them mostly negative, so I went ESS audiodrive for Sb 2.0 and never looked back. 😀

There was no hypothesis other than that later revision may be a bit less noisy (and now I know it's not true unfortunatelly).
I owned the damn thing back in the 90s and got rid of if without regret replacing it with OPTi 931 card. And only recently I discovered I want it back badly. ;D Next thing I knew was I had 4 of these card laying around and needed to choose the best of the batch.

Only thing good about CT1350B (and SB1.0 or 1.5 for that matter) or even SBPro, SBPro2 and early SB16s is nostalgia factor - you may want one if you had one back in the day or you try to build period-correct system. Sound quality-wise these cards are crap. You can clearly hear the noise coming from the motherboard and other devices - disk operations, even simple browsing through the directory tree or changing the image on the monitor is heard on these cards as hisses/ticking/whine/clicks. Amount of this noise may depend on how well the motherboard is designed (how well ISA bus is filtered) but it will be there even on a very good motherboard.

I have some SB2.0 8-bit clones (Anchor MF-002 and Aztech Sound Galaxy BX II) so I will add them to this comparison when I will find some time to see how much noise these have...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well there is one thing that's interesting : it's the last card to be able to support CMS chips

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 11, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do you know which revision(s) had the surface mount OPL? because I have one with that one and one with socket (that was empty when I saved it from the scrap bin unfortunately) ^^

Reply 7 of 11, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for this test. While we're at it, have you tested the CT1350B in a faster system than 16Mhz? Reason I'm asking is I have one in a 386DX40 - I get noticeable audio artifacts and wrong tones in some games when the system is running at full speed. If I de-turbo it or disable cache, the sound goes back to normal.

A good game to test this is Stunts / 4D sports driving. You should notice immediately if the music sounds off. I'm wondering if it plays ok in a 16Mhz system - I've also tried a CT1320A in a 286-20Mhz and get the same audio errors - they disappear when the system runs at 10Mhz. It looks like the system speed ceiling for this series of cards is quite low...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 8 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh I should test this because my 386SX25 has one and it used to work but now the DSP just makes some noise instead of playing sounds 🙁 I hope it's not broken

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote:

Thanks for this test. While we're at it, have you tested the CT1350B in a faster system than 16Mhz? Reason I'm asking is I have one in a 386DX40 - I get noticeable audio artifacts and wrong tones in some games when the system is running at full speed. If I de-turbo it or disable cache, the sound goes back to normal.

A good game to test this is Stunts / 4D sports driving. You should notice immediately if the music sounds off. I'm wondering if it plays ok in a 16Mhz system - I've also tried a CT1320A in a 286-20Mhz and get the same audio errors - they disappear when the system runs at 10Mhz. It looks like the system speed ceiling for this series of cards is quite low...

I tested a CT1350B that I sold in a 486DX4-100 system and it worked fine from what I could tell.

Could it be that the games you are testing are speed sensitive? I know The DOS Wing Commander games play the music at the wrong speed if running above about a 386-33.

What version is your CT1350B / what serial number?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 11, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

Like stated in the first post - my 286 has 20MHz Harris CPU and I couldn't hear any usunal artifacts (well you can check the recordings for yourself).
I see no point in testing it in 386DX40 though - CT1350B is for XT and 286s. 386DX40 is SBPro2 and SB16 era. But I will mess with one of my 486s tomorrow, so I can do that...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 11 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone! 😀
This is a cool thread and I'd like to say "thank you" to HanJammer for going trough all the arduous tests and making recordings for us! 😎
- Testing the SB 1.5/SB2.0 family is always welcome and interesting, IMHO, since it was the basis for so many clones of the day.
In addition, it also was like a fallback for many games and sound cards, since it almost always worked.
Another important thing about the pre-SB16 Sound Blaster cards was the PCM/FM balance, I think,
which James-F described in one of his older threads. It's important for games that use simultanously FM, PSG and the DAC..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//