VOGONS

Reply 41 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:

which ram would you use

i looked at the fans speed of gpu on hwmonitor and say more or less the same, is that bad to leave that way

I would try and get a matched pair of 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 or PC2-8500 for a sensible price. For now I would use the 3 x 5DHX DIMMs.

I suspect hwmonitor uses the same NVAPI calls to read the GPU fan speed as SIV does which is why it also gets the impossible value. Without knowing the root cause of the reading I am unsure what to recommend and I am wondering, do all GTX 580s report strange fan speeds on XP with the 368.81 driver? I don't have a GTX 580 so I can't check, but when I checked with GTX 680s all the fan speeds were as expected.

It may be worth starting a new thread asking about what others get reported for a GTX 580 with the 368.81 drivers on Windows XP. I would include screen shots at least three utilities reporting the impossible speed.

file.php?id=70960

Attachments

• REG.png
    Filename
    REG.png
    File size
    82.24 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GTX 680 fan speeds were good
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-10-29, 10:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 42 of 53, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robhalfordfan wrote:

which ram would you use

I would use the 1.8v cas5 dimms for now and look for same to upgrade to 4GB later, paying particular attention to the exact model, volts and timing.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 44 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
I would try and get a matched pair of 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 or PC2-8500 for a sensible price. For now I would use the 3 x 5DHX DIMMs. […]
Show full quote
Robhalfordfan wrote:

which ram would you use

i looked at the fans speed of gpu on hwmonitor and say more or less the same, is that bad to leave that way

I would try and get a matched pair of 2 x 2GB PC2-6400 or PC2-8500 for a sensible price. For now I would use the 3 x 5DHX DIMMs.

I suspect hwmonitor uses the same NVAPI calls to read the GPU fan speed as SIV does which is why it also gets the impossible value. Without knowing the root cause of the reading I am unsure what to recommend and I am wondering, do all GTX 580s report strange fan speeds on XP with the 368.81 driver? I don't have a GTX 580 so I can't check, but when I checked with GTX 680s all the fan speeds were as expected.

It may be worth starting a new thread asking about what others get reported for a GTX 580 with the 368.81 drivers on Windows XP. I would include screen shots at least three utilities reporting the impossible speed.

i can use screenshots from hwmonitor and SIV but what other good program is there

i can see once i get vista up and running and see if it reports the same gpu fan speed and see if just xp etc

Reply 45 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:

i can use screenshots from hwmonitor and SIV but what other good program is there

i can see once i get vista up and running and see if it reports the same gpu fan speed and see if just xp etc

I would use HWiNFO as I know it should correctly interlock access to the motherboard sensors with both HWM + SIV.

Which Vista, x32 or x64? Vista x64 does not support SHA2 signed drivers so is best avoided and I would suggest either Vista x32 or W7 x64. I have W7 x64 on my Intel DX48BT2 + Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (Yorkfield) system and it works well, I suspect probably better than either Vista would. Given it was released on 22-Jul-2009 it's quite retro and will go EOL on 31-Jan-2020.

Reply 46 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
Robhalfordfan wrote:

I would use HWiNFO as I know it should correctly interlock access to the motherboard sensors with both HWM + SIV.

Which Vista, x32 or x64? Vista x64 does not support SHA2 signed drivers so is best avoided and I would suggest either Vista x32 or W7 x64. I have W7 x64 on my Intel DX48BT2 + Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (Yorkfield) system and it works well, I suspect probably better than either Vista would. Given it was released on 22-Jul-2009 it's quite retro and will go EOL on 31-Jan-2020.

vista x32 and will be triple booting with win 7 x64 at a later date before end of jan 2020 hopefully

Reply 47 of 53, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red-ray wrote:

Which Vista, x32 or x64? Vista x64 does not support SHA2 signed drivers so is best avoided and I would suggest either Vista x32 or W7 x64. I have W7 x64 on my Intel DX48BT2 + Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (Yorkfield) system and it works well, I suspect probably better than either Vista would.

I think it supports it after you install this patch, but what on earth would one need SHA2 drivers for on a 11-year old Core 2 system?

I wouldn't expect any differences in performance of hardware compatibility between Vista x64 and Win7 x64 on this hardware, but Win7 has much better software support at this point.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 48 of 53, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

I think it supports it after you install this patch, but what on earth would one need SHA2 drivers for on a 11-year old Core 2 system?

I wouldn't expect any differences in performance of hardware compatibility between Vista x64 and Win7 x64 on this hardware, but Win7 has much better software support at this point.

Thank you, it does not actually list Vista as supported and thought it would not install. Given Vista and 2008 R1 Server use the same kernel I felt I would try it and as you should see below it worked 😅

All the utilities such as AIDA64 + CPUZ + HWiNFO + SIV + … have had to have SHA2 signed drivers for at least 4 years and as by default Enforcement of kernel mode Code Integrity is enabled they can't use their latest drivers so it should be pretty obvious why SHA2 driver support is needed, especially so given this is the General Old Hardware forum.

When I updated my 4GB Core 2 laptop in 2009 to W7 x64 from Vista x64 I recall it being faster. I also can't find a GTX 1050 driver for Vista x64 or 2008 R1 x64 Server which I suspect colours my views about Vista x64.

file.php?id=71039

Attachments

• RWS.png
    Filename
    RWS.png
    File size
    135.78 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Enforcement of kernel mode Code Integrity is enabled
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 49 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

found these ram to match the ones i am using at moment - information is the same timings,voltage and version numbers expect for the numbers at the end under the bar code - would that matter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAM-DDR2-2x1Gb-2Gb … op/173843326862

i also found others from europe (which would cheaper overall for me) with same timings and voltage but the version number and again number the end under the bar code are different - not sure of the version number makes any different

attached image of what i have

Attachments

• DSC_0120.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0120.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 50 of 53, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Version is the most crucial point for compatibility (even before frequency/timings/voltage I would say).

It indicates what memory chips were used during assembly of the DIMM (in Corsair's case).
Why it's important ?
Because sometimes, memory IC supplier changes, which usually involves changing memory parameters along with it. In extreme cases, newer versions of the same DIMM may not work with older ones (on default settings they won't be stable, after setting everything manually it should work).

In Your case : End of the barcode stuff is basicly date/month of manufacture (sometimes with place/factory), along with some specific number to ID this exact module/kit.
Nothing to worry about.

PS. You can check GPU's Fan speed in MSI Afterburner or GPU-z as well.

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2019-10-30, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 51 of 53, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
Version is the most crucial point for compatibility (even before frequency/timings/voltage I would say). […]
Show full quote

Version is the most crucial point for compatibility (even before frequency/timings/voltage I would say).

It indicates what memory chips were used during assembly of the DIMM (in Corsair's case).
Why it's important ?
Because sometimes, memory IC supplier changes, which usually involves changing memory parameters along with it. In extreme cases, newer versions of the same DIMM may not work with older ones.

End of the barcode stuff is basicly date/month of manufacture (sometimes with place/factory), along with some specific number to ID this exact module/kit.

ok so as along as the model, timings, voltage and version number are the same the rest doesn't matter