VOGONS

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been thinking lately of what GPU and how much VRAM I need for a build focused on late Windows 98 games (1999-2001). Perhaps as a psychological hangover from always having suffered with really terrible hardware in the past, I've been thinking of builds that are really ridiculous overkill for Windows 98, with a GPU like a Geforce 6800. However, I wonder if I would get diminishing returns from such a build, especially given the extra work to screw around with unofficial drivers, and if I should instead get a more period appropriate card like a Voodoo 3. What card would you use for such a build? How much VRAM do I need for a build for this era? Do I get diminishing returns above 32 MB?

I'd be playing at 1600x1200. Mostly focused on old flight and space sims like the Jane's games, Bridge Commander, Klingon Academy, MiG Alley, maybe some M1 Tank Platoon also.

Reply 1 of 1, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're correct; for 2001 games and older, you get diminishing returns above 32 MB. The best new GPUs in 2001, the GeForce 3 and Radeon 8500, had 64 MB or 128 MB. If you want to be period-correct, then a GeForce 3 or a Radeon 8500 would be a suitable GPU. If you don't mind sacrificing period correctness to save a little bit of money, then a GeForce FX 5200/5500 or Radeon 8500LE/9000/9100/9200 would work just as well for 1999-2001 era games. If you don't mind sacrificing period correctness and are willing to spend more money, then a GeForce 4 (non-MX), GeForce FX 5600/5700/5800/5900 or Radeon 9500/9600/9700/9800 would be better. (If you get a GPU with a fan, then ensure sure that the fan spins. If you get a GPU with passive cooling, then ensure that your case has a case fan that moves a lot of air. I once had to duct airflow from the case fan to a passive Radeon's heatsink so that my friend's PC wouldn't crash while playing games. And I had to add a case fan to a relative's PC with a passive GeForce FX 5200 so that it wouldn't crash randomly.)

Bridge Commander is a DirectX 8 game. I have a Voodoo3, and it is not suitable for DirectX 8 games, which first emerged in 2001. (It's a little sluggish but still playable in Combat Flight Simulator 2, which is a DirectX 7 game from 2000.)