VOGONS

First post, by SubZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I got hold of a Gigabyte GA-586STX2 motherboard based on SIS5582 chipset. The motherboard came pre configured with a Pentium 233MMX cpu. I am have very strange and frustrating issues.

The board boots up fine with no issues but the problems start when I am trying to install Windows 98SE.

I have tried with a couple of diffent hard drives ranging from 4GB to 20GB and also a couple of different IDE cables. All detected fine in Bios and it is no problems to partition the drive using FDISK, and perform a format. But once everything is ready and I try to run Windows 98SE setup I receive a message that there is an error with the disk or I sometimes get past that part but then the computer stalls when setup program tries to run Scandisk.

Any ideas what could be wrong and any suggestions how to troubleshoot? Faulty IDE-controller?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PIO could help if there's a problem with DMA transfers. But does Win98 text mode install use DMA mode? I would have guessed it uses PIO, but I don't know.

Sometimes Windows complains because of old data on the drive that it doesn't understand from other OSes.
Are you doing the slow, full format option or are you using quick format? Try doing a slow and full format if you haven't already.

Beyond that, a more thorough option is to zero fill the drive so there's absolutely nothing on it anymore for Windows to get bothered about. There's probably a few utilities that can do a zero fill, one is 'dd' under linux.
HDAT2 is a good utility for scanning the disk for errors (it's more trustworthy than Scandisk, and shouldn't give bogus errors). It might also have a zero fill option, I don't remember.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would try with a different PSU.

I've had strange HDD errors when installing Windows, and it sometimes turned out the be a weak PSU.

Might run a DST (Seatools, or whatever) on the hard drives, but chances of them all being bad is rare.

Could also be IDE cable or controller.

Reply 4 of 4, by SubZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have been quite busy last day so it was not until yesterday I was able to test further. Switching to a different IDE-Cable fixed the issue (I already tried 3 different already but apparently this motherboard didnt like them). Also I replaced the Graphics card as it was behaving weird (possibly this might have been the cause also??)

Thanks anyway for your suggestions!