VOGONS

First post, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I just bought "ATI 3D Rage LT Pro 8MB PCI" card for my old pc, but the problem is that I can't find the correct drivers for this (Running Windows 98SE). Google keeps offering me AGP drivers or "correct" ones by name, but no luck when installing. I would be eternally greatful, if anyone can provide me the correct files. Thanks!

Pics of the card:

https://ibb.co/cFZfwD0
https://ibb.co/zHpdh4W

Reply 1 of 17, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm starting to think this whole card is a total scam, haha. Not finding any specific info from Google. Oh, well.. If so, they sure fooled me to think this was an geniune old gpu. Who the hell would bother creating something like this? 🤣

Reply 2 of 17, by data9791

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Torso wrote:

I'm starting to think this whole card is a total scam, haha. Not finding any specific info from Google. Oh, well.. If so, they sure fooled me to think this was an geniune old gpu. Who the hell would bother creating something like this? 🤣

Not a scam I think. That looks like an OEM card.

Reply 4 of 17, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
data9791 wrote:

Yep, it's a rage IIc, these drivers should work: http://vintage3d.org/driver/ati/R2c%20VT4.zip

It works! Dude, you saved my day. Thank you so much! Having some weird aspect ratio, resolution and refresh rate issues. Could be just the settings.

Reply 6 of 17, by Torso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
data9791 wrote:

Cool. If those don't end up working well there are several different versions of IIc drivers floating around I think.

Ok. The card doesn't seem to have really any Direct3D or Opengl capability. Direct 3D did run, but with 1-5 fps. I mainly bought this as an 2D card upgrade to run with my Voodoo2. To replace S3 Virge/DX 4mb.

Reply 8 of 17, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: the following is applicable to the Rage LT *PRO*, not the Rage LT which is what the OP actually has. Some of the same driver packages will work, so I'm leaving this post intact, but not all of them will. Check Gona's driver compatibility chart (linked below) for more info.

-----

The Rage Pro / LT Pro (same-ish thing) is more advanced chip than the Rage IIc. It does run OpenGL & D3D, within the limitations of what a DX6(?) GPU from 1997 can do. Games like Drakan (1997), GLQuake, Wipeout XL (1997), Unreal 1, etc. seem to run pretty well on it. It's roughly comparable to a Voodoo 1, maybe a bit faster in some cases & supports higher resolution in 3D. Think Voodoo 1.25?

I'm using the w82560en.exe "Technical Support Driver" (tesed by Gona in his compatibility matrix, available here) which gives CIF compatibility in Wipeout 1, Tomb Raider, etc. It *should* come with a full OpenGL ICD which some of the really old driver versions didn't.

Gona's entire archive of CIF libraries is available & you could try splicing these into newer versions of the driver to potentally get CIF along with better OGL/D3D support. You can also try the M6.12.12 driver from "Z's Page of Tweaks" which purports to offer (not feature complete) DX8.1 support. To be honest, I don't know how these version numbers line up.

derSammler wrote:

The S3 Virge/DX is faster at 2D and has better compatibility. [...]

Only under DOS (and only for a few specific 2D scrolling games from way earlier, e.g. Commander Keen.) The Rage Pro is an excellent 2D card for Win9x - it uses the Mach64 accelerated core and has nicer image quality than S3's early stuff.

Last edited by xjas on 2019-10-30, 20:20. Edited 10 times in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 17, by data9791

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:

The Rage Pro / LT Pro (same-ish thing) is more advanced chip than the Rage IIc

That's what I don't get about his card. The chip clearly says LT, but the product number code comes up IIc and works with IIc drivers but not with the LT drivers he's tried. It's also missing the header pins most Rage cards have. That's what makes me think it's some sort of OEM card using a butchered LT chip and less components to effectively make a IIc.

Reply 11 of 17, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is a Rage LT not a Rage LT pro. A chip designed for mobile, very similar to the Rage II. I believe it was also known as Mach64 LT.

Last edited by lost77 on 2019-10-30, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
data9791 wrote:

That's what I don't get about his card. The chip clearly says LT, but the product number code comes up IIc and works with IIc drivers but not with the LT drivers he's tried. It's also missing the header pins most Rage cards have. That's what makes me think it's some sort of OEM card using a butchered LT chip and less components to effectively make a IIc.

Oops, you're right. Rage LT != Rage LT Pro. I didn't look at the pics before I posted.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 16 of 17, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote on 2019-10-30, 18:52:

Edit: the following is applicable to the Rage LT *PRO*, not the Rage LT which is what the OP actually has. Some of the same driver packages will work, so I'm leaving this post intact, but not all of them will. Check Gona's driver compatibility chart (linked below) for more info.
-----
I'm using the w82560en.exe "Technical Support Driver" (tesed by Gona in his compatibility matrix, available here) which gives CIF compatibility in Wipeout 1, Tomb Raider, etc. It *should* come with a full OpenGL ICD which some of the really old driver versions didn't.

It *should* come with a full OpenGL ICD which some of the really old driver versions didn't.

??

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 17 of 17, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ati Rage LT Pro should be mobile - low powered chip, sometimes put also on desktop card (probably mostly for OEM). At is based of Ati Rage Pro (1997) series of card. It is for AGP, and should be first mobile chip put on AGP card.

Ati Rage LT (without Pro) is based on Ati Rage II, should be for PCI, and of course, it is very slow in 3D. Doesn't support OpenGL, only Direct3D. It's older card, based on 1996s Ati Rage II. Original poster does have Ati Rage LT, not Ati Rage LT Pro, so that's why drivers for Ati Rage LT Pro didn't work.