VOGONS

First post, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off the bat, I will say I am aware this will be a pricey adventure, but hey...

I am interested in building a Dual Pentium Pro system, ideally running at 200Mhz.

The motherboard is where I am stuck at the moment. Most of what is available seems to be server market, either Compaq or HP which are just boards that stick into other board (backpanels). Are there any motherboard names I should be looking for that are not designed to be used in special server form?

Is there some special memory that is required to be used with Pentium Pro motherboard? Like error/checksum detection memory, etc.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 1 of 8, by Mizar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I'm only mildly experienced in this area but maybe it'll be of use.
A friend of mine has a Tyan motherboard with dual Pentium Pros, one of them requires a VRM, the other does not. What you want to look for, ideally, is a board with 2 PPros that don't require add in VRMs. These are usually a white slot with many pins near the processor, and are usually a pain to find if they do not come included in the package. As for the memory, most PPros come with the 72 pin interface and support EDO/FPM memory. There are some later boards that come with SDRAM(not sure if the 5V or 3.3V kind) which are more desirable because it's easier to find higher capacity SDRAM. You can use ECC memory on some(I don't think all) motherboards if you wish, but as far as I know neither SDRAM or EDO/FPM are keyed differently to standard, non-ECC unbuffered memory, so you should be fine with ordinary memory that's easy to find.

You should also check to see what the bios looks like before you buy one, I only have a Compaq single Ppro motherboard and you need to load the system setup part of the bios from either floppy or a partition on the hard drive. Needless to say this sucks big time. Tyan/Supermicro/Asus should all have nice boards.

By the way, you might know this but I'll put it here anyway. Don't use Win 9x, it doesn't support SMP so no dual processor for you, it'll just use one. And one last thing, most PPros I've seen come with a passive, gigantic heatsink. In my experience this isn't enough, as both my radiators for the PPro heated up to what I assume is ~60 degrees at the very least, as I couldn't hold my hand on it for more than 1 second. Put a fan on it just to be sure.

Reply 2 of 8, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good option could be Intel, like PR440FX. Though it looks like for most dual S8 motherboards you'd need a pretty roomy ATX case. But ATX nonetheless.

I have two S8 boards from Intel, though both are single socket — VS440FX (ATX) and AP440FX (LPX). Both take regular EDO RAM.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Mizar as far as I know this isn't SDRAM for ppros, it's Burst EDO (aka BEDO) which is different from SDRAM. But they do come on the same kind of DIMMs which may be confusing.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 8, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Gigabyte GA-686DX Dual Socket 8 system, currently it has 2 x P-II Overdrive CPUs + 6 x 64 MB 72-pin EDO SIMMs, but it used to have PPros. The board also supports FPM SIMMs.

With EDO there are both SIMMs and DIMMs and what you use will depend on the motherboard. Some systems have memory cards so can take either depending on which card you have.

It's triple boot with NT4 + W2K + WXP, all three run, but with W2K + WXP the cache get's disabled on CPU-1 and I don't know why.

Reply 6 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a TD6NF. I wouldn't exactly recommend it though, it's pretty damn wonky. Have to disable "Read Around Write" and PCI burst WC in BIOS to get it stable with dual procs FYI

Reply 7 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vladstamate wrote:

Off the bat, I will say I am aware this will be a pricey adventure, but hey...

I am interested in building a Dual Pentium Pro system, ideally running at 200Mhz.

At least 200's are the absolutely most common speed grade .. 256 k cache versions are really common - 512 or 1 M are far more difficult to find ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm assuming you know about this
The great Pentium Pro haul of 2018

I have no idea what if anything is left but you can try sending liqmat a PM.