VOGONS

First post, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinking back on this post:
Re: 5.25 Floppy Not Reading

Some old 5.25" FDDs use a 34-pin Shugart interface, which itself is a stripped down version of the Shugart 50-pin interface for 8" FDDs. The Shugart bus later evolved into SASI, then SCSI, which as we all know, SCSI-1 was a 50 pin interface.

Since SCSI-1 is all about backwards compatibility, and thus is compatibile with SASI, If I used something like the FDADAP as mentioned on the vogons wiki (http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html), can a Shugart interface 5.25" FDD 34-pin be connected to a SCSI bus (and work!)?

Reply 1 of 3, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha. You managed to dig up something really obscure. I know what SASI is, but I have never in my life actually seen a SASI device, much less these 8 inch floppy drives with 50 and 34 pin Shugart interfaces. To get an answer you're going to have to ask a really old fart. I presume this stuff is from the late 70s or maybe early 80s. VCfed is definitely the place to ask, full of old farts. Maybe in the S100 section.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 3, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah vcfed.org is probably a better place to go. Chuck n Co. will sort you out fairly smartly.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simple answer: no. The Shugart bus used for floppy disk drives has no relation to SCSI or the earlier Shugart Associates System Interface. Both interfaces were defined by Shugart, but that's it.