VOGONS

Late 90's hardware, is it worth it?

Topic actions

First post, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I have the posibility to buy some hardware for around 25 dollars, a case with everything on the inside. But I'm not sure how good it will be for old gaming, including early windows games and some old DOS games, like TES: Daggerfall and TES Adventures: Redguard. This is the computer I'm talking about:

Motherboard: MS-6163 BX Master
RAM: 128mb
CPU: Slot 1 Pentium Pro
AGP: ATI Turbo Rage
Soundblaster and Onboard I think...

Is it worth the risk? I have these images from the vendor:

YBxcPyu.jpg
NQR2BVZ.jpg
iTUnld9.jpg

I wanted to buy, later, a Vooodoo 2 or Voodoo 3 for the Glide games, I'm still not sure which one would be better. I know that for the Voodoo 2 you also need a 2D card.

Any advice?

Reply 1 of 22, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd buy it. It's more like a Windows 98 machine. CPU is Slot 1 Pentium II/III or Celeron. Voodoo2 would be more period correct. But V3 would do fine too of course.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends of the period. Pentium 3 is more period accurate with a voodoo 3 while Pentium 2/ celeron Mendocino is more period accurate with voodoo 2.

This mobo must be from 1999 which is more period accurate with the voodoo 3.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 22, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:

I'd buy it. It's more like a Windows 98 machine. CPU is Slot 1 Pentium II/III or Celeron. Voodoo2 would be more period correct. But V3 would do fine too of course.

So, since it is slot 1, I could easily just change the adapter for a Pentium III and get some extra power, right?

Deksor wrote:

Depends of the period. Pentium 3 is more period accurate with a voodoo 3 while Pentium 2/ celeron Mendocino is more period accurate with voodoo 2.

I want it to play games, but I don't want to run into incompatibilities and the like between the card and the motherboard. I'm, not really versed in old hardware like this.

Reply 4 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need for adapters there are slot 1 pentium 3 around (though fast socket 370 P3 are more common). There won't be any compatibility issues with a voodoo 3 and this motherboard.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 22, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

No need for adapters there are slot 1 pentium 3 around (though fast socket 370 P3 are more common). There won't be any compatibility issues with a voodoo 3 and this motherboard.

That's wonderful! That is good to know. Which would be a better choice tho, Voodoo 2 Sli or Voodoo 3?

Reply 6 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

Eh?

This may not be the most high-end build from then, but you can't get more accurate than an original build from that year - by definition it's 100% accurate. Not everyone back then bought the most high-end 3D option...

Reply 7 of 22, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that sound card alone is worth the $25 and you get a nice slot1 system on top of it, go for it 😀

should be a ct3620 from what I can decipher from the images if I am not mistaken?

Reply 8 of 22, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:

that sound card alone is worth the $25 and you get a nice slot1 system on top of it, go for it 😀

should be a ct3620 from what I can decipher from the images if I am not mistaken?

Woah, really? I've just bought it, and in two days I'll have to transport it on foot. I don't really have any idea of models and the pictures are not really clear, they're from the vendor. I hope this hardware is good! Are modern PSU good for these old machines?

Reply 9 of 22, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

my stb voodoo 2s were manufactured in 4/1/1999 and I have seen crazy date codes up to 2001. However I disagree with your statement for various other reasons though.

The only Pentium IIIs launched in 1999 were the slowest ones the fastest ones were 600mhz. The PIIIs higher than that were paper launched no one physically had one in their hands besides testers earlier than Q2 2000. Pentium IIs were still being manufactured until 2001 and they both were being concurrently sold and manufactured in 1999.

440bx was released in 1998 so it would not be period correct for 1999 using that logic, 440bx is more of a 1998 period, while I810 is more of a 1999. 440bx were being manufactured as late as 2001 later boards hit their theoretical limits around 2000.

The actual Period that everyone wants to recreate 1998-2001..1999 isn't really a period it's mostly a date code that is constant with refresh releases of various hardware and software that already existed.

Reply 10 of 22, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to add since the video card suggestions are all for voodoo cards, they're overpriced to hell now on the order of 4x what you're paying for the pc to begin with and the list of games that only support glide for acceleration is small. I didn't have or care to have a voodoo2 or 3 in 99. I still remember the voodoo 3 announcement and not wanting it because it was still only using 16 bit color. I'm also quite positive that most pcs selling in stores by 99-00 weren't including 3dfx cards.

I'd prefer a geforce 256 over a v3 but they're rare. Good alternatives are g200/g400 or riva tnt2. Or just skip ahead and buy a cheap geforce or radeon agp card from the early 00s, going into that territory with a coppermine cpu and you'll probably be able to use a glide wrapper for those few glide only titles with ease.

Edit: the included 3d rage pro is a fine card as well for the period. My only gripe with it is it doesn't seem to have 8-bit palletized textures or later drivers yanked support. So final fantasy vii doesn't like it even though 3d rage pro is one of the main cards it was advertised to work with.

Reply 11 of 22, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Period correct PCs that I classify as circa 2000. Are a hodgepodge of parts dating from 1997 to 2001. Back then hardware was being designed and manufactured with the concept of the consumer performing upgrades. It was common place that users were upgraded their GPUs, CPUs, and everything for the life of thier motherboard. People tried to squeeze the most performance out of their systems before they replaced them.

This went on until probably later generations of pentium 4s like northwoods came out, many people actually never replaced their computers with Pentium 4s and they skipped Pentium 4 and didn't buy a new PC until Conro came out.

It's not like now where every time intel or amd come out with a new processor the enduser has to replace the motherboard and half the computer. A lot of people think that using certain parts makes a PC period correct, when they juice their builds to levels that actually no one owned back then because it would of been like 10 thousand dollers. And they rely on date codes they found on wikipedia which are mostly paper launches that never really happened for guidance.

Reply 12 of 22, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I'd like to add since the video card suggestions are all for voodoo cards, they're overpriced to hell now on the order of 4x what you're paying for the pc to begin with and the list of games that only support glide for acceleration is small. I didn't have or care to have a voodoo2 or 3 in 99. I still remember the voodoo 3 announcement and not wanting it because it was still only using 16 bit color. I'm also quite positive that most pcs selling in stores by 99-00 weren't including 3dfx cards.

I'd prefer a geforce 256 over a v3 but they're rare. Good alternatives are g200/g400 or riva tnt2. Or just skip ahead and buy a cheap geforce or radeon agp card from the early 00s, going into that territory with a coppermine cpu and you'll probably be able to use a glide wrapper for those few glide only titles with ease.

Edit: the included 3d rage pro is a fine card as well for the period. My only gripe with it is it doesn't seem to have 8-bit palletized textures or later drivers yanked support. So final fantasy vii doesn't like it even though 3d rage pro is one of the main cards it was advertised to work with.

I want to play DOS games and early Win9x games in this machine! As for the Card, I kinda want to have one fancy Voodoo card I could never have when I was younger, I want to have it for a working collection.

Reply 13 of 22, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just stay on the lookout, if you're patient you can often find a voodoo 3 for less than $30-50, if you're really lucky you can also get them for cheap if you buy lots of old stuff that might have a voodoo in them, I spent $50 for a whole box full of cards including a voodoo 3 PCI (which is usually more expensive than the agp version)

voodoo banshee or voodoo 3 is probably the cheapest option, voodoo 2s tend to go pretty expensive unfortunately, especially if you wanna go for a SLI setup.

I completely get your just wanting to have one for the sake of having one 😀

Reply 14 of 22, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CapitanOdessa wrote:

I want to play DOS games and early Win9x games in this machine! As for the Card, I kinda want to have one fancy Voodoo card I could never have when I was younger, I want to have it for a working collection.

His recommendation of a geforce 256 is a good one, I'll tell you the same thing that many others have,said, go for a Geforece 3 or 4, and add a voodoo 2. Then you have good compatibility and speed for Direct x games up to 8.0 and DOS and have glide support for 3dfx games. This is the best of all worlds.

Reply 15 of 22, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand the allure of a voodoo. Especially with how prices just continue to climb, in another few years I may wish i grabbed one now.

Just saying that for me the time of the voodoo was really in the pci days paired with a socket 7 Pentium roughly. By slot 1 I really wanted geforce/matrox cards, but like most high school age kids, I had a 3d rage :p

I definitely echo the above if getting a voodoo... Grab a pci v2 and pair it with a super high end geforce card. You'll get a huge range of game years and that glide you're after.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 16 of 22, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:
CapitanOdessa wrote:

His recommendation of a geforce 256 is a good one, I'll tell you the same thing that many others have,said, go for a Geforece 3 or 4, and add a voodoo 2. Then you have good compatibility and speed for Direct x games up to 8.0 and DOS and have glide support for 3dfx games. This is the best of all worlds.

If I wanted, could I have a good Nvidia AGP card, and a Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 all plugged in the same system?

Reply 17 of 22, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CapitanOdessa wrote:
Warlord wrote:
CapitanOdessa wrote:

If I wanted, could I have a good Nvidia AGP card, and a Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 all plugged in the same system?

yes, i don't know if you want a voodoo 2 and a 1 in the same system, Theres only like 1-2 games or something like that that wont work with a voodoo 2 and only work with a 1.

Reply 18 of 22, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would leave the system as it is and just add a Voodoo 2. This will give you a nice system. You could replace the ATI with some more powerful, like a GF 256 or GF 2. But then, to play games that can take full advantage of these cards, you'll also need to add more RAM and the CPU might not be fast enough. If it is a Pentium II, it's not faster than 450 MHz. By the look of it, it could be a Pentium III as well, however. I think the Slot 1 Pentium III went up to 650 MHz.

ps: it's certainly not a Pentium Pro as you wrote in your post.

Reply 19 of 22, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I would leave the system as it is and just add a Voodoo 2. This will give you a nice system. You could replace the ATI with some more powerful, like a GF 256 or GF 2. But then, to play games that can take full advantage of these cards, you'll also need to add more RAM and the CPU might not be fast enough. If it is a Pentium II, it's not faster than 450 MHz. By the look of it, it could be a Pentium III as well, however. I think the Slot 1 Pentium III went up to 650 MHz.

ps: it's certainly not a Pentium Pro as you wrote in your post.

I have no idea what it is, that's what the vendor said so I'm not sure what I will get next wednesday.