VOGONS

First post, by mallensw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently I am requiring assistance in getting a proper serial mouse working with windows 95 or 98se. This is what I know thus far. The motherboard is a Zida 4DPS. The mouse is a 2 button (no wheel) beige MS proper serial (no adapter) mouse that works. The COM ports are enabled in the system bios and set to COM1 3f8 IRQ4 COM2 2f8 IRQ3. In both windows 95 and Windows 98se I get the usual "windows did not detect a PS/2 mouse, its now safe to attach a serial mouse" screen when windows loads. I plug it in, press the o.k button, windows finishes loading, and the mouse does not work. Currently I have windows 98se installed. I have also loaded ctmouse in the autoexec and when i boot to command prompt only the mouse will work in DOS. If I boot into windows safe mouse, mouse does not work. In device manager it shows both com ports and the correct addresses and IRQs that are shown in bios. When I run the add new hardware in control panel windows finds nothing. This is baffling me to know end. This mouse will work DOS but not windows. I have also tried to manually install the MS standard serial driver in the device manager and still no result. Lastly I have also confirmed that this is not a bus mouse. Not sure if anyone has come across this issue before but any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Reply 3 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The most probable reason is seen here : Re: M-Tech R418 Motherboard COM Ports unresponsive

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoops, I somehow missed the working in DOS part. I'm not sure what is going on that windows won't work, since two different ones behave same.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 10, by mallensw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, thanks for the assistance and Tiido thanks for the link pin out discussion. Not sure if this is the real issue or not but I have tested the pins on my current port and found on a ebay for 5 bucks a port that is pinned the other way. Hopefully the new port will a inexpensive 5 buck fix, fingers are crosses and will update once the new port arrives.

Reply 8 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the DOS mouse driver is conflicting with Win9x driver. Have you tried a MS mouse driver for DOS ? or try REM out the CTmouse in Autoexec and reboot then load Win9x and see what happens...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 10, by mallensw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the I started poking around in the Bios and I seen something in there for power management. For the sake of science (to see what would actually happen) I disabled it vaguely remembering that in a pure windows setup windows manages power. To my surprise when windows 98se loaded I now a a fully functional working serial mouse.

Reply 10 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

was it ACPI by any chance? ACPI is unfortunately called Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, but it mostly about letting OS manage resources (interrupts, address mappings).
TLDR: you had wrong interrupt selected before or your board was one of the ones with bad/corrupted ACPI table. Turning ACPI off switched resources management to the old hardcoded way.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction