VOGONS

First post, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I need to add SATA to Windows 98 and possibly older and newer systems.
I found VIA VT6421a or Silicon Image 3114 that have SATA ports. VIA VT6421a has also a IDE connector that could bring IDE to newer PCs, so it is more versatile then Silicon Image 3114.
I think Silicon Image 3114 has better compatibility.
Suggestions?

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have had issues with both, but too long ago to recall exactly what. My conclusion was to ditch them and get a Promise or Highpoint based card.

However maybe drivers and/or knowledge has improved since then...

Reply 2 of 6, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Promise SATA150 TX2 or TX4. It has the best compatibility although not on the Asus TUV4X. I had a SIL3112 card (same as 3114, except for having only two SATA ports instead of four), and it refused to detect most of the SATA HDDs I tried, and the few ones that the card detected, caused random BSODs, inexistent bad sectors and often, unknown hard errors.

Naturally, that card no longer works now, while the Promise chugs along merrily on the QDI Advance 10T.
Never tried Highpoint cards, because I have never found non RAID cards of such a brand, or maybe I just haven't searched correctly on EBay.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another recommendation for the Promise cards.

I have tried multiple SIL and VIA SATA PCI cards and they are just super flaky or flat out don't work at all.

The Promise ones just work as expected.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I prefer the SATA PATA adapters because adding a PCI SATA/PATA card is often a time wasting experience of PCI card slot testing to determine where it and other devices are all stable. Or at least they seem to be stable instead of BSODing every boot or shutdown.

Part of it is you are adding more 3rd party drivers and that is unpredictable.

Of course the adapters can be junk too. Fun all around. 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Avoid both. In my experience VIA based motherboards tend to not work VIA SATA and USB external adapters. VIA have problems with WD drives, Sil 3112/14 with Seagate and with too new WD drives (they often not work with first gen SATA). Sil3512 much better and have compatible firmware and drivers.
Here's the REAL Sil3512 Win98 Driver, BIOS and flasher.