VOGONS

What’s this chip by my 368 cpu?

Topic actions

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I have this generic “pc chips” motherboard with a 386 DX CPU, and noticed it had another processor installed

I thought it was a 387 FPU, and that the blue socket was one of those for “upgrading” to a 486 type CPU, but upon taking the worthless warranty sticker off I see that it says as you can see on the pic “4C87DLC-40”...

So what exactly is this processor?

What would the blue socket be for?

(Although too dark in the pic, the one on the right is the AMD 386 DX-40)

458359E3-44D8-495C-BDB1-80795ECFB8BD.jpeg

Reply 1 of 20, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"General info
The IIT DLC is the mathematical co-processor for 386/486 hybrid processors such as the Cyrix Cx486 DLC/SLC and Texas Instruments TX486DLC."

Last edited by Miphee on 2019-11-09, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 20, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a 387 FPU. Or rather, a compatible one made to accompany a 486DLC.

Reply 3 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

It is a 387 FPU. Or rather, a compatible one made to accompany a 486DLC.

So... should it not really be installed there by the 386DX..?

Reply 4 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote:

"General info
The IIT DLC is the mathematical co-processor for 386/486 hybrid processors such as the Cyrix Cx486 DLC/SLC and Texas Instruments TX486DLC."

So it does not really belong there..?

Reply 5 of 20, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's compatible, so while it's originally meant for a 486DLC, it will work fine with a 386DX as well.

Reply 6 of 20, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a working pair.

Reply 7 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok cool.

Now I guess I’ll decide which is best to keep, if this setup or a different one I have with a 386SX but also 40Mhz... Motherboard is different though, it’s M396F V2.6 that does not seem to be PC Chips.

Reply 8 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's an M396F it should be PC chips (or one of their alternate names). What's written on the chipset?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

If it's an M396F it should be PC chips (or one of their alternate names). What's written on the chipset?

Maybe it’s a rebranded pc chips then, seems to be this same one but a slightly higher version number...

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/forcom-m396f.html

Reply 10 of 20, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I'd keep the DX40, the SX is practically crippled by its 16-bit bus.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 11 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Definitely not a PCChips m396f, mine has 4 simm slots and hosts a 386sx class CPU, and there is no LIF socket such as this in it.

You can see here how mine looks like : SARC RC2016A8 chipset on PCChips M396F

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Definitely not a PCChips m396f, mine has 4 simm slots and hosts a 386sx class CPU, and there is no LIF socket such as this in it.

You can see here how mine looks like : SARC RC2016A8 chipset on PCChips M396F

I think they all have the same origin. Mine has a different branding on the chipset (see next post) but still...

Reply 13 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

7F3D5E38-6E03-480B-9A8A-479FC52475D2.jpeg

Reply 14 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait you have two mobos ? I thought just had the one in your first post ^^

Well then your 386SX is the same as mine, PCChips is known to rebrand chipsets, they kept doing that up to the pentium 3 era at least. Mine must just have the original chipset not rebranded for some reasons. Knowing which chipset they use can be useful for many reasons : troubleshooting (if you know what they used, then it's easier to find the pinout or the chipset if you have some issues with the mobo), finding better bioses (other mobos might use the same chipset which may have better bioses)

Edit ah well maybe I don't have the original chipset name either.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 15 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Wait you have two mobos ? I thought just had the one in your first post ^^

Well then your 386SX is the same as mine, PCChips is known to rebrand chipsets, they kept doing that up to the pentium 3 era at least. Mine must just have the original chipset not rebranded for some reasons. Knowing which chipset they use can be useful for many reasons : troubleshooting (if you know what they used, then it's easier to find the pinout or the chipset if you have some issues with the mobo), finding better bioses (other mobos might use the same chipset which may have better bioses)

Edit ah well maybe I don't have the original chipset name either.

Yes, I have two, started asking about the one in the OP, but then questioned which to keep and we started talking about the SX board. Seeing which males more sense to keep and which to sell off

Reply 16 of 20, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if you want the fastest of the two, the one with the DX is definitely the better choice. You have a DX40 on it which is much faster than the 386SX40 on your other board. Furthermore, your DX has eight simm slots which means that you can easily install 8MB of ram on it whereas you need to find rare 4MB Simms for the 386SX board to reach that amount.

Reply 17 of 20, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Well if you want the fastest of the two, the one with the DX is definitely the better choice. You have a DX40 on it which is much faster than the 386SX40 on your other board. Furthermore, your DX has eight simm slots which means that you can easily install 8MB of ram on it whereas you need to find rare 4MB Simms for the 386SX board to reach that amount.

Yes, true. Also has cache.

Not sure I understand the “4MB simms to get 8MB”. Wouldn’t you with 4 x 2MB ones..?

Reply 19 of 20, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2 MB SIMMs do exist, but they are uncommon.