VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'm trying this cpu the X3 720 with three cores @ 2800Mhz. The stepping of the cpu should be a C2. I'd like to ask if anyone know how to unlock and try the fourth core if the mainboard (Asus M2NPV-VM nvidia C51 chipset latest 5005 bios supporting AM3 up to Phenom II X4 theorically) doesn't seems to have switches or bios option for it while it support overclocking up like 6Ghz (?) or whatever...
I'm also using Linux but I could boot my Win8.1 on it if it's needed for some low level utility.
Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I remember back then It needs to be done in bios and the Motherboard was usually advertised or labeled to have core unlocking.
If the option is not listed in Bios then It probably wont be possible without a custom/modified bios If at all.

Reply 2 of 2, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This motherboard and chipset appears to date from 2006. The core unlocking feature was part of ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) introduced with the AMD SB710/750 south bridges starting from the end of 2007 and is typically to be enabled in the BIOS. Not sure if the Nvidia-equivalent chipset supported that feature but in any case it's likely that your chipset is too old. Unlocking isn't guaranteed, I used to have a Phenom II X2 that really only has 2 working cores.