VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear community,
I got my hands on one of Escom big towers, this one has socket 7 pentium 166 S. The PSU in this pc works but I dont trust it since the fan was dead and Iam not sure for how long it has been used like that. 😵

Soo what should I replace this one with ? Using new ATX PSU with converter or get an old AT PSU and give it a refurb ? Also what wattage should I get ? 😕

Thanks in advance 😊

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose you have 200W AT PSU right now, so a modern PSU with 20A or more on the +5V line will suffice. Usually 400-450W PSU has that amount.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2019-11-17, 11:48. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 12, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would opt for a new 300 watts PSU from a brand of your trust. It is far more recommended to go with a new PSU from a trusted manufacturer than relying on older models, even if you fully recap them as there are numerous other parts that can age. In addition to that, modern PSU (obtained from a trustworthy brand) do feature multiple protection methods in-circuit, giving you more peace of mind.

In terms of power, feel free to correct me ppl, but I guess that for a P-166S, a 300-350 watts PSU should be "way enough and a half."

PS: As The Serpent Rider already correctly stated, look out for the new potential PSU to have a strong +5V rail.

Reply 3 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In terms of power, cheap brandname computers of that period sometimes used 150W or even 90W with 10A on the +5V line (LGR disassemble of Packard Bell el cheapo PC, circa 1998). And from my experience normal 200W AT PSU can feed moderately powerful Pentium 2/3 without any issues.

Reply 5 of 12, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Auzner wrote:

Any AT psu found today will be just as questionable as that one. Try swapping in a working fan for now.

Not sure if its worth it since I think its at the end of its life span. 😢

Last edited by Violett'Blossom on 2019-11-17, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 12, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I suppose you have 200W AT PSU right now, so a modern PSU with 20A or more on the +5V line will suffice. Usually 400-450W PSU has that amount.

Yes, it's 200 W PSU, it has :

+5V 20A
-5V 0.5A
12V 7.5A
-12V 0,5A

Reply 7 of 12, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I have heard some soundcards have problem with modern PSUs is it true ?

Reply 9 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

95% of the time it's not required and can be fixed with adapter anyway.

Reply 10 of 12, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote:

Yes this is true, some really old designs (especially by Creative) use -5V which modern PSUs don't provide.

It has nothing relative to Creative, -5V used in old ISA mostly 8-bit

Reply 11 of 12, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote:

Yes this is true, some really old designs (especially by Creative) use -5V which modern PSUs don't provide.

Iam thinking about using AWE 64 Value or ESS 1868F Will they work ? 😀

Reply 12 of 12, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Violett'Blossom wrote:
ShovelKnight wrote:

Iam thinking about using AWE 64 Value or ESS 1868F Will they work ? 😀

Check yourself: if the 5th pin on the back side of the card is not present or connected, then the card in question doesn't use -5V