VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
B24Fox wrote on 2021-04-28, 17:57:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-28, 16:55:
on a side note... I meant brooktree (from the Bt chipsets) which got bought by Rockwell, which changed its name to Conexant, […]
Show full quote

on a side note...
I meant brooktree (from the Bt chipsets)
which got bought by Rockwell,
which changed its name to Conexant,
which got bought by synaptics, not broadcom

I only asked to make sure we were both referring to the same chip : ) But wow!! 😳

I just added it, because it was bugging me that I said broadcom, while I meant Brooktree. So I had to look it up for my own sanity 😁

Oh and for the composite out, you'll just need a cinch connector. that would allow you to hook it up to a tv with scart or composite in and you can verify that it works. that is.. if you have such a tv...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 42 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2021-04-28, 18:52:

Not sure if it's still needed, but here's a better picture:
IMG_31~1.jpg

What i can tell from the picture is that those 2 brown SMD capacitors, don't have exactly identical colors. (Which is in line with what weedeewee said a few posts back.).
Alhough the lenth, height, thickness, and metal contact shapes, all seem identical.
Can you also confirm the slight difference in color ?

weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-28, 18:14:

[Oh and for the composite out, you'll just need a cinch connector. that would allow you to hook it up to a tv with scart or composite in and you can verify that it works. that is.. if you have such a tv...

Yup, I have an older TV.. Though, i'll have to look in my parts bin for some connectors & stuff.
The mobo, brobably came with a brakeout conector that was mountable on the back of the case. Maybe a 4-pin s-video connector , like this one?? https://o.quizlet.com/i/CgD5ivg6Ivhst0ewVh0k8Q.jpg (edit): found it in the manual 😜 It's S-video like in the picture + AV-Video (aka composite i presume)

Reply 43 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
B24Fox wrote on 2021-04-28, 20:40:

What i can tell from the picture is that those 2 brown SMD capacitors, don't have exactly identical colors. (Which is in line with what weedeewee said a few posts back.).

you do realize that the amount of useful information that you can obtain from just the slight color difference will be absolutely minimalistic in the sense that... now you know there is a slight color difference. 😁

Alhough the lenth, height, thickness, and metal contact shapes, all seem identical.

The size and outline of the adjacent components and solder pads would indicate their identical nature 😀
for the voltage you could just measure between ground and the pad closest to the chip. I'm guessing it's 3v3.

Yup, I have an older TV.. Though, i'll have to look in my parts bin for some connectors & stuff.
The mobo, brobably came with a brakeout conector that was mountable on the back of the case. Maybe a 4-pin s-video connector , like this one?? https://o.quizlet.com/i/CgD5ivg6Ivhst0ewVh0k8Q.jpg (edit): found it in the manual 😜 It's S-video like in the picture + AV-Video (aka composite i presume)

Yep, in a pinch you could always reuse an old cinch to cinch audio cable for the composite connection.

edit: you gotta love those manuals that actually have the pinouts 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 44 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reason that i cared so much if they are identical; is because, if they are, i can then desolder the left one and measure it's capacitance. [basically running away from having to try to decipher the Conexant chip schematics]

Regarding voltage, when in doubt, i usually go bigger, as it shouldn't affect things. Like in this case, instead of powering up the board and probing around with my very shaky hands and risking a short, I would have just went for a >12V cap 😀 (although i don't even dream that that circuit is higher than 5V) 😆

edit: Yeah! I too was extremely surprised to see the pinouts specified in the manual!! Good old days! 😁

Reply 45 of 48, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just took the cap off of the board I can't get working (don't worry, I resoldered it after). It's 100nf 😀

It measures as 115nf so it's probably a 20% rated capacitor, the size is I think 0603, but an 0802 capacitor fits onto the pad.

Reply 46 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OMG!! Thank you Thermalwrong for risking your board for me (a complete stranger)!!
The value is exactly one of the two possible, that @weedeewee found in the datasheet of the Conexant Bt869 Chip (100nF = 0.1µF)
This is amazing! Thank you so much to both of you!

One question to you Thermalwrong:
what do you mean when you said "the cap off of the board I can't get working" ??? You mean that with the cap off the board, you tried the TV-Out and it didn't work anymore??

edit: oh, I re read your post and i think you meant that the board was not in working condition. My bad 😜
Anyway, THANK YOU!! 😁

Reply 47 of 48, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two boards, one works and is in its PC 😀
The other one has a short or something on the board and won't boot, so it sits in the parts box until I learn how to troubleshoot that. Not related to the TV-out I think.

Reply 48 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

weedeewee said that had a similar problem, with this model of motherboard, and fixed it by replacing some caps:
"Well, I had to change the cpu voltage capacitors on mine. Symptoms were no boot and, bootup for a while and then shutoff."

maybe yours has the same problem..! 🙄