Reply 20 of 26, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:
MKT_Gundam wrote:

So peformance wise, this c3 800 Ezra is more or less a Celeron 300?

Not exact, but at 133mhz FSB the Ezra and Nehemiah CPUs have roughly half the IPC of the pentium 3 when it comes to integer performance.

The FPU performance on the Ezra and Ezra T is pretty bad. Software Quake will run at around 30fps at 640x480 with an Ezra CPU clocked to about 1ghz. The Nehemiah core has roughly double the FPU performance and can achieve higher clocks, but it responds differently to setmul than the Ezra.

Nehemiah runs it's FPU at full clock, so it's better than the Ezra in Quake. Still, I don't think FPU performance is a reason why anyone builds a C3 rig.

It mostly only matters if you are trying to reach into early windows and 98 games. Unreal Gold and Quake 3 runs miles better on a Nehemiah at 1300mhz than they do on an Ezra T at 1100mhz. There are pros and cons to both.

I chose the nehemiah CPU for my slot 1 build.

Reply 21 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote:

It mostly only matters if you are trying to reach into early windows and 98 games. Unreal Gold and Quake 3 runs miles better on a Nehemiah at 1300mhz than they do on an Ezra T at 1100mhz. There are pros and cons to both.

Hey, horses for courses I guess. Should've qualified my statement as only applying for people who think like I do.

Out of curiosity, why did you opt for a Nehemiah instead of a Tualatin or Athlon?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 26, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

Hey, horses for courses I guess. Should've qualified my statement as only applying for people who think like I do.

Out of curiosity, why did you opt for a Nehemiah instead of a Tualatin or K7 build?

I built the computer primarily for DOS. Tualatin is faster but less flexible, and K6 -3+ are getting stupid rare and I have had very bad experiences with SS7 boards so far. I got tired of buying stuff from Ukraine or Russia only to have problems with it as soon as it arrived. Slot 1 is a lot easier to work with and the C3 processors are very flexiable for DOS. Plus, a nehemiah at 1300mhz is at least a fast as K6-3+ at 600mhz in most games, so why not.

Finally, the C3 processor speed are controlled entirely through software, which is more convenient than setting jumpers.

The Nehemiah processors are actually pretty flexible for DOS, they just have a giant whole between a fast 386 and a roughly 100mhz 486DX4. With throttle.exe I can hit all the right speed points in benchmarks, but I still need to test real games to see how they do with ACPI clock skipping. Nehemiah is also slower than Ezra with L1 cache disabled too, so again with clock skipping, I can approximate speeds all the way down to an 8088 with every speed point between that an a 386SX.

I just feel the the nehemiah processor is more flexible and I am willing to tinker more to get things working.

Reply 23 of 26, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me is almost impossible to find a K6-2/3+ unless importing with high price and taxes. Even finding this c3 was in luck.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 24 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote:

The Nehemiah processors are actually pretty flexible for DOS, they just have a giant whole between a fast 386 and a roughly 100mhz 486DX4. With throttle.exe I can hit all the right speed points in benchmarks, but I still need to test real games to see how they do with ACPI clock skipping. Nehemiah is also slower than Ezra with L1 cache disabled too, so again with clock skipping, I can approximate speeds all the way down to an 8088 with every speed point between that an a 386SX.

That's more or less why I built an Ezra system (then went back to PMMX cuz ACPI sux). I'm currently working on socket 754 build to replace my socket A machine and provide tunable coverage at the top end.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25 of 26, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just fineshed my rig but with problems
Shutting down by start menu just power off de video but the manchine still on. I got this message:
IMG-20191225-125954736-HDR.jpg
Just changed the speed to 400 and 600mhz and the same message after forcing the shutdown
Reseting by menu woked fine and the dont showed any message like the pci in the BIOS.
This dont happend on fresh win98se whitout the VIA 4-1in driver, video and sound drivers installed .
The driver version is 4.53v(got from Phil's site).
I dont installed the unofficial service pack
Video card is a Diomond Banshee (Used the Diamond drivers)
Sound card sb32 ct3600
I disabled serial, paralell, onboard audio in the bios.
Played DOOM to test the sound card. Worked fine
I gonna reinstall win 98SE and check if the problem persist whitout VIA driver again.
Replace with celeron 466.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.

Reply 26 of 26, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reinstalled win98SE again. No driver or Services packs installed
The windows detected the Sb32
Tested Descent. AWE32 worked but no sfx
The computer shut down normally by the start menu option.
Tried 4 times adn no problems or massage in the bios.
Which older version of 4 in 1 drivers should i try?
In worst case i will put the celeron.
Updating the bios is not a option by now.