VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But I know exactly what kind of case it was.

So I'm not just looking for it - I'm looking for it to buy it!

But the real question is - is it some generic case which was used by KT Tech? Or was it exclusively sold by KT Technology?
It sure looks a bit generic, but I never happened to stumble across one and a high volume of these 286/386 is (and was in the past) going through my hands...

IMG_4465_zps3ccacd4d.jpg
Filename
IMG_4465_zps3ccacd4d.jpg
File size
59.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Another pic:

KT-Technology_286-12S.jpg

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 20, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, memory lane... I would bet, but I don't know, that the metalwork was generic. Did this one have the red paddle switch for power, on the side near the back?

side-talking.jpg
Filename
side-talking.jpg
File size
299.7 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 20, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Oh, memory lane... I would bet, but I don't know, that the metalwork was generic. Did this one have the red paddle switch for power, on the side near the back?

side-talking.jpg

Nope, it had rocker switch like most of these cases do.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 20, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've owned 2 of these cases - the first pic in the OP is mine and the one below. I actually combined the one below and the one above because the metalwork was bent during shipping.

As you can see this one was the same vendor - it looks like a generic clone case if ever I saw one but that's 3 now from KT tech in this thread. I fancy that I saw another one on eBay locally not too long ago but I can't remember what case badge it had. Note that both of the ones I've owned were bought locally (Melbourne AU) (a long way from you OP!)

2012-04-12140808.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This was the case of our first home PC, an AT Clone. Considering it was doing the rounds all the way down here it must have been a fairly common generic case. Nice case, wish I could find one as well. I was going to make such a topic for my first PC case as well (a 486) but instead of proliferating these topics maybe we should start a "Help me identify/find the case I am looking for" kind of thread?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 20, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I've owned 2 of these cases - the first pic in the OP is mine and the one below. I actually combined the one below and the one above because the metalwork was bent during shipping.

As you can see this one was the same vendor - it looks like a generic clone case if ever I saw one but that's 3 now from KT tech in this thread. I fancy that I saw another one on eBay locally not too long ago but I can't remember what case badge it had. Note that both of the ones I've owned were bought locally (Melbourne AU) (a long way from you OP!)

Yeah, I probably got it from your thread. Most cases like this I've seen have only one 3,5" bay for FDD - this one is unique as it has two. Also in most of them drive cages are painted black and this one has bare metal. I would love to own one - perhaps only desktop case I need.

My was KT Tech as well. I didn't found too much info about company, other that it went bankrupt in the mid 90s and that it also made early portable drives.

https://trademark.trademarkia.com/kt-technolo … y-74459175.html

https://www.channelweb.co.uk/crn-uk/news/1875 … osses-disappear

Attachments

• phd006.jpg
    Filename
    phd006.jpg
    File size
    112.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • phd004.jpg
    Filename
    phd004.jpg
    File size
    179.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • kt-tech_keyboard2.jpg
    Filename
    kt-tech_keyboard2.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • kt-tech_keyboard.jpg
    Filename
    kt-tech_keyboard.jpg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • phd01.jpg
    Filename
    phd01.jpg
    File size
    103.67 KiB
    Views
    File license

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 9 of 20, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:

Excuse my grim ignorance, but two bottom row backslash-pipe keys on the lowest row? Nice. Was that actually fairly normal for a DOS kb in 1989?

Not really. Pretty unusual.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 20, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found it!
Sadly It's missing internal 3,5" bay bracket and PSU doesn't seem to work anymore (I have replacement, so not a problem), but yeah... this one is also branded by KT Technology (doesn't have front badge, but it does have sticker on the back, and logo is on the PSU as well).
So yeah, definitely this case model was produced by/for this brand. Can't be coincidence that none other specimens are in the wild bearing other brands...

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 11 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Happy for you. Is KT Technology a case maker? I never knew. I had an AT Case with a KT Technology badge and I always thought it was a local PC builder..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12 of 20, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are the ones with flip top cases often are from early era of clones. (XT and 286). Back in the day, when bought used, I modified two to take full size AT motherboards, this requires heavy modification to the power supply (L shaped) to clear the wide motherboard this also requires spacing out the power socket with strong thickwall rods (drilled through). What allowed this to work is power supply's circuit board is mounted flipped over with solder side upper and flat near top.

Two I had were like that from that time (1989 or 1990). Anything later than that didn't see any like that.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 13 of 20, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-18, 22:23:

Happy for you. Is KT Technology a case maker? I never knew. I had an AT Case with a KT Technology badge and I always thought it was a local PC builder..

Well it seems they made alot of stuff - early portable hard disks, complete PC systems - I've seen motherboards branded with their logo and ISA cards too...
I guess they ordered a bunch of these cases from some third party company and it was sold exclusively by them...

From what I gathered they were registered in Singapore, had branch in UK and went bankrupt and CEO disappeared.

https://www.sgpbusiness.com/company/K-T-Technology-S-Pte-Ltd
http://macvendors.co/v/10177/KT-TECHNOLOGY-(S)-PTE-LTD
http://oldcomputer.info/media/phdisk/index.htm -> notice the same case as mine on this picture: http://oldcomputer.info/media/phdisk/phd010.jpg

https://www.channelweb.co.uk/news/1875812/kt- … osses-disappear

They even had commercial representation in Poland (I guess that was the source of the machine I had back in the 90s): http://oldcomputer.info/media/phdisk/phd-announce.jpg - I would love to find people who led this business, maybe they have some stuff left over from the 90s...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 14 of 20, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2019-11-26, 11:28:

Thank you so much for sending me original logo for this case!!!

I think I will make a YT video featuring this build 😁

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 17 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
I've owned 2 of these cases - the first pic in the OP is mine and the one below. I actually combined the one below and the one a […]
Show full quote

2012-04-12140808.jpg

I had that exact case in my very first PC. A brand new 286/16.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 18 of 20, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-31, 20:19:
I've owned 2 of these cases - the first pic in the OP is mine and the one below. I actually combined the one below and the one a […]
Show full quote

2012-04-12140808.jpg

Do you have any pics or stories to share? I will make a follow up video soon and I would love to feature them.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 19 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2021-07-31, 21:41:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-31, 20:19:
Show full quote

2012-04-12140808.jpg

Do you have any pics or stories to share? I will make a follow up video soon and I would love to feature them.

Only have the spec sheet. A mini AT flip top case, Oak 256 vga graphics card, mouse, joystick, 101 Enhanced keyboard, joystick, 14" 28 dot pitch vga crt monitor, 3.5" and 51/4' high density fdd, multi i/o card, 40meg hdd and 1meg of ram. No operating system when I bought it so pirated Compaq MS Dos 3.31 to support the 40meg hdd without needing to partition it. A while later I bought retail DRDos 6 and GeoWorks Enemble 1.2 Pro which operated well together. Got the 286/16 from a NZ wide white box out fit called PC General who went under during the big dot com bust up.

There was this Windows 3.0 thing being pushed but GeoWorks had more in the package so stuck with that for a few years. Later upgrade the ramm to 4megs on it at the princely sum of nz100 per meg, a 240meg hdd and got a discounted copy of "Osborne" branded MS Windows 3.1 package. It was upgrade in the time I had it to a 486DX33 then a Pentium 1 133 using friends or families discarded components when they upgrade there systems.

The clone 286/16 is the only brand new system I've own in 30 plus years of using x86 systems. Learnt a lot on that thing.

Attachments

• 20130128_073044.jpg
    Filename
    20130128_073044.jpg
    File size
    726.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉