VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

I meant that I don’t have equipment for soldering, e.g. to replace a broken component on the motherboard 😀

Like I said, I’ve flashed the last 3.1 version of BIOS. I got it from Supermicro.com, but maybe I need a different BIOS version?

Not sure about booting off USB — I certainly can’t choose it as a booting option. What did you have in mind? Maybe I need a LiveCD of some sort?

If you already have R3.1 (aka 3.1) then updating the bios isn't the issue.
That's the newest one for that board.

When it's an option I use a bootable DOS USB stick to flash most BIOSes.
Just wanted to know if that board could do it without help.
If a board won't boot to USB I have a Floppy Emulator that looks like a floppy drive to the board.
It also uses USB sticks but they format to 1.44MB no matter what size USB stick you use.

When it looked like you thought you needed equipment to flash a BIOS I misjudged your skill level and I intended to write a batch file to install the BIOS for you (from a USB stick if that would work).

Clearly you are more advanced than that and don't need that kind of help.
Sorry about that.
I haven't been here for a while and I've forgotten who knows what.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 21 of 23, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope you fix your board, id bet its fixable.

Unrelated, It is perfectly fine and everyone just plugs fans into their motherboard, I don't though, fans can put strain on the motherboard. I run them off the power supply and use fan controllers, I have always done this even for cpus especially for system fans.. The problem with your motherboard is actually a symptom of power strain.

Reply 22 of 23, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I came across this today and remembered your board problem.
Is this the same issue you are having?
New hardware (Aopen AX6B), what to do?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 23 of 23, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up just using a molex connector and it works fine. I've used the system for a couple of hours and had no issues, so it seems like the board is fine otherwise.

Got erm distracted by suddenly getting a free Mac Performa 200 (aka a Mac Classic II), will get back to the system later. Time for some WinNT goodness once I get a full 1 GB of PC-100 memory and maybe a new PSU — currently it's the most noisy part of the system and worries me to no end.

Guess I'll make my new year resolution to get myself a soldering iron and a multimeter and finally learn how to fix things properly 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog