VOGONS

First post, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy,

Today I just got coppermine Pentium 3 1ghz to upgrade from my old 667mhz Pentium 3, however when I try to insert my new cpu onto my socket it won't fit. Weird? I checked the manual and it said it is compatible with my 1ghz Pentium 3? On the picture the left one is the new 1ghz processor and the right is the old one

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are bent pins on the CPU on the left (in the first photo showing the pins).

Too lazy to mark on photo, but:

2nd row from right, 6th pin from top is bent
4th row from right, 3rd pin from top is bent
16th row from the right, 3rd pin from top is bent

upon first inspection.

Straighten any bent pins and reinstall.

Socket 370 is a lot less forgiving than Socket 7 for slightly bent pins so you have to be thorough.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 6, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So you were talking about those pins right?

argh I'm too scared to mess with these pins since I don't have the right tool to do it. I thought ebay seller said they're all working oob 😒

Attachments

Reply 3 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it is much less noticeable from the top-dowh photo but from an angle you can see they are slightly bent left or right. You don't need a 'tool' to do the job, just get a modeling knife and use the blade to make sure every pin on every row horizontally and vertically are parallel to each other. After some work, and maybe a bit of wiggling you should be able to get it into the socket. Once you do, just lower and raise the CPU socket lever a couple of times, that should help straighten them further.

Also, not all sockets are as tight; try mounting it in another Socket 370 motherboard and see if it fits there. If it does, try the trick I noted above, and retry the CUV2-C afterwards.

Reply 4 of 6, by pote2639

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried to bend it with my credit card (Heard it also works too) and it still doesn't fit. also I realized the bent parts actually fit but the another half of my cpu won't (see picture, it doesn't fit and you can see the pins there) also I think it's already aligned perfectly as my eyes telling me

Attachments

• MVIMG_20191127_160756.jpg
    Filename
    MVIMG_20191127_160756.jpg
    File size
    884.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • MVIMG_20191127_160739.jpg
    Filename
    MVIMG_20191127_160739.jpg
    File size
    537.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20191127_154205.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191127_154205.jpg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Old CPU
    File license
  • IMG_20191127_154136.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20191127_154136.jpg
    File size
    1.86 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    New problemic CPU
    File license
Last edited by pote2639 on 2019-11-27, 09:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pote2639 wrote:

Well, I tried to bend it with my credit card (Heard it also works too) and it still doesn't fit. also I realized the bent parts actually fit but the another half of my cpu won't (see picture, it doesn't fit and you can see the pins there)

Check the pins along that edge for bents. Then try to mount the cpu by wiggling that edge into the socket first.