VOGONS

BIOS Hotflash questions

Topic actions

First post, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All !

I have two boards (a slot 1 BX Freetech and a socket 370 VIA) that i'm trying to save.

When i got it, both had crystals oscillators removed. I tried to fill new ones but i'm not sure if they are the sames, can't find the specifications of the original model.

Second thing, the EPROM was removed from the VIA board, and the BX one seems to have a dead EPROM (1MB).
I have a spare EPROM (2MB) and i've tried some hotflashes but the result is not good :

- For the VIA one, i get the board to display the video BIOS but the system stop at this point and i can't access to the board's BIOS.

- For the SLOT1 one, i tried to flash the 2MB version of the BIOS (This board come in 2 versions. 1MB and 2MB BIOS are available). The Board is booting under the BOOTBLOCK section, asking me to insert a floppy drive. I tried the 2MB Bios version without success and the 1MB version seems to destroy the BOOTBLOCK emergency part. I red somewhere that with a 2MB EPROM i can flash twice the 1MB BIOS but i don't know how ?

I think those boards could be saved (maybe i'm mistaken) but my knowledge stops me here and i can't move forward.

Do somebody have an idea on the problem ? Is this BIOS or crystal related !

Here is the picture of the Freetech :

1575192751-photo3066.png

The Crystals that i soldered (Cylinders ones, but not sure of the original frequency)

1575192793-photo3067.png

1575192812-photo3068.png

Here is the P6BAP-A+ REV 2.2 that comes with a missing crystal and without BIOS chip:

1575192824-photo3070.png

1575192827-photo3071.png

Here is the P6BAT-A+ Board i use to make the Hotflashes : Funny thing, the board work without any problem using the P6BAP-A+ Bios

1575192819-photo3069.png

Thanks ! 😀

Last edited by parhelia512 on 2019-12-01, 09:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked thru the Way Back machine and got BIOS for two BX Slot-1 but they are all 1Mb roms. What exact models are the boards ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 29, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Horun for your reply

The one i'm trying to save now is a Freetech P6F91i.
I've just been able to find a BIOS file...maybe it's not the right one...
I'm trying to Flash the 2MB version of this BIOS (as my EPPROM is 2Mb), but after each flash i get the same error message : Bios ROM Checksum error and the board is booting on the floppy. Can't understand what's goig wrong ! 😒

Reply 3 of 29, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you post whole pictures of motherboards with replaced resonators? Bios ROM Checksum error could mean that BIOS you are trying to flash is incompatible with motherboard (but it's compatible enough to display something).

Reply 4 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I posted the BIOS files and Manual for the P6F91i in Vogons Driver library:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=1&menustate=0,0

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 29, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not on Windows at the moment but as I recall, this is how you double up an image file:

copy /b infile.bin+infile.bin outfile.bin
Don't forget the "/b"

If I'm doing that right then outfile.bin will be 2 copies of the infile appended to itself. This has the effect of disabling the upper address bit, by making the chip return the same data no matter what the upper bit's value is.

Reply 6 of 29, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks all for your help 😀

I tried with Horun provided BIOS and result is the same : the flash process is OK and then, when rebooting the board, same message "BIOS ROM Checksum error" and the board boots on the floppy...
Another strange thing with this board (maybe crystal related), is that i can't power it down using the corresponding pins off the front panel. The board is powering on automatically once started and if i keep the pins shorted for 4s the board power down then up...

I will post pictures of the boards later this day.

Reply 7 of 29, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Shamino ! Happy to see you here !

The command you give is the good one, i'm able to create a 256Kb file with the same two 128Kb BIOS.
When trying to flash the program is displaying a Cheksum code then the computer lock.

I'm turning crazy with thoses flashes 😁 i think i'm missing something...

Reply 8 of 29, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
parhelia512 wrote:

The command you give is the good one, i'm able to create a 256Kb file with the same two 128Kb BIOS.

Ok. The pin 30 of EEPROM is A17 for 2MBit-chip and NC for 1Mbit-chip.
So check pin 30 of EEPROM dip32 socket (extract chip from there carefully before)
If it is connected to GND - BIOS should work. Otherwise isolate a pin 30 of BIOS chip from the socket pin and connect the pin 30 of BIOS chip to GND.
(I don't know how to say it in English clearly - Just bend out pin 30 of BIOS chip to lose contact with socket pin 30)
Now A17 will be in low level.
Make it only on your own risk.

Attachments

• 29ee020_pinout.png
    Filename
    29ee020_pinout.png
    File size
    53.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 10 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have to ask a few Q based on the pictures you posted on 11/30 and general BIOS stuff: forgive me if these seem simple but maybe you missed something. Did you install good a battery ? After flashing BIOS did you enter BIOS and load BIOS defaults, save and reboot ?
The picture is not very clear but appears that the CMOS/RTC IC is right near the battery and AGP slot, is there any damage to traces ?
Can you take a better picture in that area ?

Reply 11 of 29, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Horun 😀

I tried without battery and with battery and same results.
I can't enter BIOS in both cases. I use the CLEARCMOS jumper after BIOS Hotflash and i stop the Hotflash computer before it reboots.
For the BX : i have AWARD Recovery starting each time i boot the board with checksum error...can it be crystal related ?
For the VIA : i only have the Video BIOS displaying and a blinking cursor : The computer seems locked : can't reboot with CTRL + ALT + DEL. Once (i can't remember if it was with or without the crystal installed) the Board loaded the POST screen and locked. But i can't reproduce the behaviour. Only the Video BIOS displaying.

I will try to do better pictures this weekend.

Reply 13 of 29, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
parhelia512 wrote:

Thanks Roman555
If i understand correctly, if i isolate the pin 30 on the BIOS chip, it will act as a 1MB one ?

No, the pin 30 of the eeprom has to be isolated from the socket and connected to GND. Of course, it has to be programmed before with that doubled bios image. But working part of image will be low addressed one.
If you have proper 2Mbit bios image for your mainboard you shouldn't do that.

P.S. if P6F91 could be supplied with both 1Mbit and 2Mbit EEPROM it means there is a factory jumper to configure that. So pay attention to pads designated JP1 near eeprom socket - it might be answer. I think it's easy to understand which model of eeprom the motherboard has to use. If A17 of eeprom socket is connected to A17 of address bus - it should be 2Mbit EEPROM. The A17 of address bus is pin A14 of ISA slot.

P.P.S parhelia512, did I get it right that you program eeproms using a hotswap method ? Do you flash BIOSes including BootBlock ? (I mean, sometimes tools program only main part of BIOS)

Attachments

Reply 14 of 29, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Waouh !!!

OK, things are a little more clear for me...if the board is reading the EEPROM as a 1MB one, it's normal that i run into BIOS error.
Do you think that changing this jumper position (can i short the pads ?) can make the board runs with a 2MB EEPROM or is there another difference on the board physical configuration that explain the 1MB or 2MB EEPROM choice ?

Thanks Roman555 for all this insteresting details ! 😀

Reply 15 of 29, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually don't think there is a problem with your board, I think you flashed the wrong bio for it and now it will not accept a differnt one. A better approach would be to remove the bios from the board and use an eeprom flasher until you figured out the right bios. 🤣 I think all of these fixes are based on the board being faulty which I am not convinced of, all of the evidence leads to a software and programming failure.

Reply 16 of 29, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
parhelia512 wrote:

Do you think that changing this jumper position (can i short the pads ?) can make the board runs with a 2MB EEPROM or is there another difference on the board physical configuration that explain the 1MB or 2MB EEPROM choice ?

I've thought a little bit. Factory jumper isn't necessary for that. The pads JP1 might be just "bootblock protection" for Intel flash 28F001 - its pin 30 is for that. So just try to understand whether the A17 of eeprom socket is connected or not to A17 of address bus. If it is yes then 2mbit eeprom should work just out of the box.

Warlord wrote:

I actually don't think there is a problem with your board, I think you flashed the wrong bio for it and now it will not accept a differnt one. A better approach would be to remove the bios from the board and use an eeprom flasher until you figured out the right bios. 🤣 I think all of these fixes are based on the board being faulty which I am not convinced of, all of the evidence leads to a software and programming failure.

Yes, I agree, It might be too.
parhelia512, although you didn't answer how you program the eeprom, what software utils you use.

Last edited by Roman555 on 2019-12-04, 19:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 17 of 29, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the BIOS was flashed using hotswap method. I flashed with "success" using the /Wb option that should write the Bootblock.

I tried using UNIFLASH but the flash process was not OK, so i'm now using the AWARD flash utility version 860b if i remember correctly.

Last edited by parhelia512 on 2019-12-04, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.