VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gathering the parts up for a Pentium 233 MMX build and I want to use the case I owned back in 1996~1997. Here is a picture of what I am looking for, but I want the next size down from this with just (2) 5.25" bays. Any ideas on brand names or how best to search this?

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
119.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know, and the 90s were kind of a tough era. It seems the actual OEM hardly ever dared attach their name to the product. Pick up any case or 386/486 motherboard and try to find their name. 😉 Things got better with the likes of InWin, Enlight -- both in terms of case quality, and traceability.

Hope you find it, though. That's a nice looking case -- very clean and dignified design. If you haven't yet, try searching for "(vintage,retro,beige) case -raspberry -rpi" on ebay under the Computers and Accessories category. Save your search and keep checking. I've found almost all of my old cases over the last year or so.

Reply 3 of 4, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking for an AT case generally involves a lot of time and searching, online or locally. See if there's a city nearby with a lot of older collectors (like the Bay Area in the SouthWest or Boston in the NorthEast) and check local resources like craigslist.

Or, if you or someone else has the resources, 3D printing will become more and more of an option for specialized aesthetic needs like this. You'd still need a tower for the metal frame and cover, though I'm not sure how relevant shielding is in your case.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 4 of 4, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks as though I have one of them.

KdPG5qG.jpg?1
I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

But I've found no make or model information in or on this case. I found it in a dumpster, and the ASTG emblem on the front apparently stands for a computer company in Mountain View. The sticker on the PSU has a date code from 1994, so these are pretty early cases.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey