VOGONS

First post, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I've just joined here. I own a variety of PCs and motherboards. In my collection I have an ASUS A7V400-MX with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, running at stock speed. In the BIOS Hardware Monitor, it is reaching temperatures of 55°C before booting into my OS. The cooler I'm using now is an AVC Cooler, I'm not too sure on the model. I was just wondering if there is a better way to keep this CPU cool.

The full specs for this PC are:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ running at 1.53GHz
1GB of Elixir DDR400 RAM (2x 512MB)
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 (256MB)
Creative Labs SB Audigy 2ZS
160GB Samsung SpinPoint 7200RPM HDD
Hitachi DVD-ROM
ASUS A7V400-MX Mainboard
Running Windows XP SP3

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan B. Sent from my nuclear reactor.

Too many computers. But my ICL DRS M75 is rather cool.

Reply 2 of 10, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The stock heatsinks for the higher-end AXPs (I have one meant for a 2800+ with the copper slug and all on my Thunderbird 1333, does fine) are a great choice for keeping the lower-clocked boys nice and cool. Some other tips are to take a closer look at your thermal paste application and check to make sure your heatsink is oriented correctly, with the cutout for the socket hinge on the right side.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 3 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ that is a good one ! Any with copper base or core is better than an all aluminum one. AVC does make a copper core model.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 10, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Thermalright SLK900 A was the best one I ever had, and I still had it up until the fire last year. I've looked on Ebay, and it seems that they are not easy to find now. But if you should find either an SKL900A or an AX-7, they are a couple of the very best Socket A coolers ever made.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Antec Solutions Plus CPU cooler Intel/AMD one on eBay should work ok.

That being said, if your motherboard has holes in it to mount nicer coolers, you can pretty much put whatever you want on it.

My KT7A build is using a Thermatake Big Typhoon. Just had to modify the mounting hardware to make it work.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While recommending some super coolers like Big Typhoon is fine and dandy. They just won't fit into many early ATX cases.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 10, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm a proud owner of a Cooler Master HHC variant.
Not only is it very pretty, its also one of the earlier heatpipe coolers you could find for computer use.
Keeps my Athlon 1200C nice and cool.

coolermasterHHCL61_perspec.jpg

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1126

Reply 10 of 10, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I'm just back on here. May I just add that I'm UK based and therefore I have had to rule out a few coolers.

However, I am taking everyone's suggestions into account when looking around.

Ryan

Ryan B. Sent from my nuclear reactor.

Too many computers. But my ICL DRS M75 is rather cool.