VOGONS

First post, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know its a stupid things to do but tbh I am sick of going back and forward burning the same CD over and over with different programs/ updates and drivers all the time.
Currenty I have an Intel PRO 1000/ GT desktop adapter installed which according to the box supports windows ME (my currnet OS because it works better for me over 98SE)
However the dick provided has no drivers and even if i install the correct one ( I think it is) i just can't seam to get online at all, can't see it having an issue over homeplugs or anything.

Anyone managed to get a LAN connection ?
I could try wifi but i would need to find a PCI card that has drivers of ME or older.

Reply 1 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

which driver do you think is the correct one? Otherwords which driver are you installing. Legit reason I am sking is becasue I have drivers, just pointless to give you one you already tried.

You also know the way 9x networking works with adapter protocol binding?

Reply 2 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

which driver do you think is the correct one? Otherwords which driver are you installing. Legit reason I am sking is becasue I have drivers, just pointless to give you one you already tried.

You also know the way 9x networking works with adapter protocol binding?

Well Intel being the idiots they are have put all old drivers into an "Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack" -https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/222 … k?product=50480
But tbh this has never worked for me when I tried using it.

The only other one i have found for ME at least is the following
INTEL PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
Driver Version:10.0
Released:22 Jul 2005
System:Windows ME
Size:8.91Mb

https://drivers.eu/Network/INTEL/PRO%2F1000%2 … er/Windows%20ME

Reply 4 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless you are using serial and paralell ports Id recommend to disable them in system BIOS to free up IRQs.

Anyways try these. Make sure you have TCPIP installed and its binded to the adapter.

Attachments

• Filename
    98ME1000.zip
    File size
    93.83 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

Unless you are using serial and paralell ports Id recommend to disable them in system BIOS to free up IRQs.

Anyways try these. Make sure you have TCPIP installed and its binded to the adapter.

Your driver installed perfectly according to device manager that is, but still no internet connection to be seen.
Not sure what else i can do as I am honestly not used to anything pre XP
Crap pictures but thats CRT screens for you 🤣

Attachments

Reply 6 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only other thing I can think to suggest to you, since It's hard to say. There is a very good reason I am asking you to go through the following. It is to rule out several issues.

1st check the back of the ethernet card and diagnose the indicator lights. I believe if its connected to the network it should have a light. next to the lights there should be etching in the metal bracket that says what the light means. Check the switch the other side of the cable is or connectivity lights. Replace the network cable or fix rj45 jacks as necessary.

2nd if all of that checks out.
Gather your local area network settings from another computer connected to the internet on your network by going into the command prompt and typing IPCONFIG /ALL take note of the network segment of the IP4 adress. PS 98ME only support IP4 so if you are using IP6 and do not have IP4 enabled on your network router that could be a issue.

3rd
Go into the network settings on the ME computer and open TCP/IP----> intel Pro 1000
Manually input a IP adress that is not being used on the network you can guess.
Example 192.168.1.50

Enter in the subnet
Example 255.255.255.0

Go to the defualt gate way tab
Enter in the gateway Example 192.168.1.1

Go to the DNS Tab and enter google as a test DNS
For the IPs in DNS enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

After you do all of this click ok ok It may want the ME CD now

Reboot the computer

4th
In addition to all of this Download Retrozilla 2.2 and install that on the ME computer.
https://github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/releases/

Try to access www.google.com From retrozilla

Reply 7 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well i tried all that and no change 🙁 The green ligh on the back is on and blinks like its trying to do something but to no success.
If it helps its connected to a Homeplug to my router which is an NETGEAR Nighthawk which is also connected to a modem..fiber broardband.. so its PPPOE i guess 😖
I got it working once with no issues but now I have no idea why it is complaining now. Here is what Ipconfig showed atleast

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : V3U7A4
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-0E-04-28-59-85
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 169.254.33.72
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 10 13 19 21:44:00
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

Reply 8 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I need you to IPCONFIG /ALL from another wired computer on the network like a machine running windows 7, 8,10, xp whatever that actually works wired to your switch the same way your me is wired to the switch that ca actually get on the internet.. And then post those settings, If thats your IP settings on the ME computer thats the reason it doesn't work becasue they are just wrong. You have no gateway, and no DNS. I also Have a hard time believing those other adresses to be correct.

I think part of the problem here maybe that you do not have DHCP configured correctly on your router. Typically the computer will request IP settings from the router though DHCP protocol but your router is not providing that information.

How it should work normally is you would set PPPOE up inside the router by logging into the router then let the router negotiate with the modem then the router will negotiate between the modem and the Computers on the network. Then you set up DHCP on the router to hand out private IPs and DNS and router info to clients. I think this is really not whats going on here that is your problem.

Thats why I am trying to get you to manually assign IP on the client. Alternatively you could fix your router. becasue thats the problem not the network card or the drivers.

The Default gate way is the IP of the router. Whatever IP you assign the router will also be the gateway on the computer. The Network Segment that the IP is lets say your router IP is 192.168.1.1 Then you set DHCP to assign addresses between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.100 That adress range has a network mask of 255.255.255.0

Then you can either forward DNS from your internet service provider or you can use Free DNS servers like google or open DNS. To also forward that info to clients.

This isn't being done thats why it doesn't work.

Reply 9 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My main PC runs windows 10 and is connected the same way, ethernet - homeplug - router.
I will admit I am a bit lost when it comes to my routers settings as they give you so many (Duma OS is cool but wtf)
In the router OS its basically a tick mark next to "Use Router as DHCP Server" allowing me to change the last number for the starting and ending IP, if not enabled you can't change it at all.
Also the windows ME ipconfig is when its at default after the other solutions failed to get a connection.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-V6F6CO4
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F4-6D-04-0D-6E-B5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:5181:e12c:0:50b:9d83:e2d1:26cf(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:5181:e12c:0:54dc:87e1:c739:2e0d(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::50b:9d83:e2d1:26cf%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 12 December 2019 08:17:08
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 13 December 2019 08:17:09
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::8e3b:adff:fed0:15ca%11
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 66350340
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-24-88-03-EF-F4-6D-04-0D-6E-B5
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::8e3b:adff:fed0:15ca%11
fe80::8e3b:adff:fed0:15ca%11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 48-5D-60-F1-F5-E1

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1A-5D-60-F1-F5-E1

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2A-5D-60-F1-F5-E1

Reply 10 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok issue is your not picking up an IP address for some reason,
0 Ethernet adapter needs an IP Address of 192.168.1.X to work

On the WinME box can you ping 127.0.0.1, this is a loopback address
if it fails then we can rule out rest of the network for now. It's definitely an issue with network card or the TCP/IP install

a reply means at least TCP/IP is working correctly, If you do as warlord said and manually set the IP address to 192.168.1.88 and Subnet of 255.255.255.0
Now try to ping 192.168.1.1 a reply means you can now see the router, and we can start troubleshooting the internet
if it fails then we still need to troubleshoot why you cant see the router at all.

btw you can remove the dial up adapter from the screen shot above if you wish, it's not hurting anything but isn't required unless your using the dial up modem, removing it will tidy up ipconfig. Same as 1394 (this is if you wanted to run a network over firewire)

Reply 11 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Based on that you should be able to manually assign an IP adress on the ME computer of
IP 192.168.1.50
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Defualt Gateway 192.168.1.1
Then make google the DNS by typing google as the DNS name and adding 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Then the ME comuter should connect to the internet. At the very least you should be able to ping.

Ill even post screen shots later.

You should disable IPV6 on your router and only use IP4 btw. you don't need IPv6 on a home network, and it has incompatibilities.

Reply 12 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Ok issue is your not picking up an IP address for some reason, 0 Ethernet adapter needs an IP Address of 192.168.1.X to work […]
Show full quote

Ok issue is your not picking up an IP address for some reason,
0 Ethernet adapter needs an IP Address of 192.168.1.X to work

On the WinME box can you ping 127.0.0.1, this is a loopback address
if it fails then we can rule out rest of the network for now. It's definitely an issue with network card or the TCP/IP install

a reply means at least TCP/IP is working correctly, If you do as warlord said and manually set the IP address to 192.168.1.88 and Subnet of 255.255.255.0
Now try to ping 192.168.1.1 a reply means you can now see the router, and we can start troubleshooting the internet
if it fails then we still need to troubleshoot why you cant see the router at all.

btw you can remove the dial up adapter from the screen shot above if you wish, it's not hurting anything but isn't required unless your using the dial up modem, removing it will tidy up ipconfig. Same as 1394 (this is if you wanted to run a network over firewire)

PIng 127.0.0.1 came back good, 4 packers sent and 4 recieved 0 loss on Windows ME
Set IP to 192.168.1.88
Subnet 255.255.255.0
PING 192.168.1.1 = Destination host unreachable x4 packets sent = 4 and 4 lost.

Reply 13 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:
Based on that you should be able to manually assign an IP adress on the ME computer of IP 192.168.1.50 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Defu […]
Show full quote

Based on that you should be able to manually assign an IP adress on the ME computer of
IP 192.168.1.50
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Defualt Gateway 192.168.1.1
Then make google the DNS by typing google as the DNS name and adding 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Then the ME comuter should connect to the internet. At the very least you should be able to ping.

Ill even post screen shots later.

You should disable IPV6 on your router and only use IP4 btw. you don't need IPv6 on a home network, and it has incompatibilities.

I think i did everything correctly but still no connection.
Tried to ping 192.168.1.1 again and this time got "connection timed out"

Reply 14 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Manual for your router. I stand firm the problem is how you set your router up. Can you ping 192.168.1.1 from another computer? Because if you can't than it's very telling.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R … 00/R7000_UM.pdf

Reply 15 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

Manual for your router. I stand firm the problem is how you set your router up. Can you ping 192.168.1.1 from another computer? Because if you can't than it's very telling.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R … 00/R7000_UM.pdf

PIng from my working PC to 192.168.1.1 completed with 4 packets send and 4 recieved 0 list.
I have gone into my router and tbh i have not changed much of anything in the setup.
Setting up the router only asks for my username and password to my ISP (BT) to get a connection, then make a password for the wifi and admin login and that is it. Nothing else has been changed from factory

Reply 17 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

That means to me than its not setup. If everything is factory. So than you haven't set up the router if you left everything factory.

Well that is all the setup wizard asks you for to get it to work since all other settings should be what they need to be for it to work properly (no issues until this old PC)
So many option I don't even know what to mess around with let alone what they do.
here is the LAN settings there isn't much for me to even change.

Attachments

• lan.png
    Filename
    lan.png
    File size
    1004.99 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 26, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried plugging in a laptop or plugging in your win 10 computer to the same cable that you are using to plugin to your ME box to rule out cable.?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Filename
    Untitled.jpg
    File size
    63.52 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19 of 26, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

Have you tried plugging in a laptop or plugging in your win 10 computer to the same cable that you are using to plugin to your ME box to rule out cable.?

The cable im using is normally plugged into my 18+ port switch giving internet to all my consoles and my TV that are connected to the switch with there own Ethernet cables.
Still i changed cables to another one and still no connection... really not sure what is gong on.. a different PCI card worked once but never worked after wards and I have tried 2 others since then.

Also I can't make a direct connection into my router as it is downstairs next to the master phone socket. and I cant carry a 40kg CRT down with me 🤣