VOGONS

First post, by aljares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

i want to upgrade a i 386 sx 25 mhz with a i387 25mhz , for about 4 € , it is a laptop, and my question is , i will see upgrade or not ?, i can notice the difference. or may be better 4 euros in my hand XDD

thx

Reply 1 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unless you run spreadsheets on it, then probably no difference.
Games that run decently on a 386 don't use an FPU. Windows 3.x/9x GUIs don't use it either.
You can run Quake, though.

My family put a 387 on our 386SX back then hoping it would help games. It was useless, and I think the severe flexing we did to the board trying to push it into it's socket might be why the PC started locking up a few months later. After the PC was unusably dead, my dad tore the 387 back out and took it to work for his spreadsheets. At least somebody got something out of it.
I guess they didn't have IT departments back then.

Reply 3 of 8, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote:

Someone posted a German article on here years ago that purported to test the win 3.1 GUI with a copro and show a noticeable improvement

Disk caching can be faster if the software uses the FPU for processing virtual memory

Reply 4 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can upgrade just for the good feeling 😁

Some games like Falcon 3.0 use it, some applications also use or require it (AutoCAD...). But you'd already knew this if it was the case.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

Someone posted a German article on here years ago that purported to test the win 3.1 GUI with a copro and show a noticeable improvement

Disk caching can be faster if the software uses the FPU for processing virtual memory

Uuh, tell me more about it! 😮

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 7 of 8, by aljares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i order today the i387 25 , i hope work fine in my 386 sx 25 , i want to read about the impovement in win 3,1 ,

really i can run quake in this machine ? it is only 4 megas ram , hd it is a compact flash 😀 , any other upgrade for this machine 😀

thx to all post