VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone seen any statistics on the common Dallas 12887 modification for which the CR2032 battery and holder were connected a) without the Dallas' internal battery being disconnected, vs. b) with the Dallas' internal battery being disconnected? Is the dead internal battery more likely to leak if it is connected in series with the replacement battery, or more likely to leak if disconnected?

I did 10 of these mods about 5 years ago and decided to leave the [dead] internal battery connected. The batteries all still show between 2.93 V and 3.1 Volts and are inserted in motherboards. No leaking is evident and the rate of discharge seems reasonable. Commenting on this thread in the next 10 to 15 years will be more telling, but was wondering if anyone has any stats on this subject to share?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No stats, but originally I did disconnect the old battery in my mods; later I became lazy and did no longer care. I haven't found any difference yet. Leaking will not happen in either case, unless you completely remove the compound covering the old battery (but even then it's unlikely). However, since the old battery is a resistor when not being disconnected, the new battery should discharge faster. Not a single of my modded Dallas chips ran empty so far, so time will tell.

Reply 2 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was also thinking about internal leakage, that is, destroying the module's internal time clock chip. I'm not sure if the internal battery is entirely sealed from the clock IC inside the module, but there is a metallic path connecting the battery to the IC, so possibly it could corrode alone this path. Anecdotally, it seems like dead batteries more readily leak than charged ones. I'm not sure how much validity there is in this, but that was my rationale at the time.

Reply 3 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Corrosion over the metal connection is unlikely, as it's a Lithium cell, not a NiCd battery. And I'm pretty sure these are dry cells anyway.

Leakage is the least I would care here at all. Should it ever happen, you can just replace the Dallas chip.

Reply 4 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought I recall someone mentioning here that their board's coin cell battery was leaking... I don't think I've seen one of mine leak, but I usually recycle them once their voltage doesn't hold.

Reply 6 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anybody else perform this RTC battery mod and notice any difference in CR2032 battery discharge rate for disconnected vs. non-disconnected internal battery?

Reply 7 of 7, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disconnecting the internal battery is so easy after grinding through the epoxy that I can't imagine why someone would let it connected and take any chance of leaks and/or faster depletion of the new battery.

One thing I've noticed about these batteries. Most of the times I get a really old motherboard with the coin cell still attached, it measures 0 volts when in circuit, but immediately after removing it from the holder it starts building up a voltage... 0.8, 1.x volts... I guess that its internal resistance is high enough if that happens, and there's even an experiment that can be set up. Two CR2032 holders in parallel, insert one new and one depleted battery, measure the current once every few days/weeks, draw the conclusions.