VOGONS

First post, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get off the CPU stickers of PCs but everytime I try to peel them off, the shiny part either get destroyed, or distorts.
I'm guessing WD-40, but is there anything else that can get these off without destroying them?
sHNnHg2.jpg

Reply 2 of 7, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As described above.
Additionally, remove any goo-ey remnants with oily cleansers a la WD40.
They will desintegrade the remaining glue. Afterwards, clean the surface with Brennspiritus/Isoprop/IPA

Reply 3 of 7, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're hoping to re-use the stickers, I'm not sure there's a good answer. Heat might be your best option, but be careful -- it's sometimes trivially easy to distort plastics. For example, I couldn't warm up a 5.25" floppy enough to loosen the factory label adhesive without warping the jacket. That's Tyvek, not ABS, but still... perhaps practice on a piece that isn't cosmetically important.

If you don't care about the stickers, just peel off as much of the top layer as you can to expose the paper and adhesive below. Then, I use Goo Gone, but WD40 works also. Let it soak a moment, then rub in a circular pattern with a firm wad of paper towel. Keep at it for a couple minutes and it will start to go. Finish with some fresh liquid and a clean paper towel to remove the last remnants, then clean the oily residue with soap and water, and give it a final scrub with some rubbing alcohol. Good as new.

Reply 6 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Goo gone works great for that and since it is citrus based it won't leave any nasty chemicals in the plastic.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 7, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

If you're hoping to re-use the stickers, I'm not sure there's a good answer. Heat might be your best option, but be careful -- it's sometimes trivially easy to distort plastics. For example, I couldn't warm up a 5.25" floppy enough to loosen the factory label adhesive without warping the jacket. That's Tyvek, not ABS, but still... perhaps practice on a piece that isn't cosmetically important.

If you don't care about the stickers, just peel off as much of the top layer as you can to expose the paper and adhesive below. Then, I use Goo Gone, but WD40 works also. Let it soak a moment, then rub in a circular pattern with a firm wad of paper towel. Keep at it for a couple minutes and it will start to go. Finish with some fresh liquid and a clean paper towel to remove the last remnants, then clean the oily residue with soap and water, and give it a final scrub with some rubbing alcohol. Good as new.

I'm willing to reuse them as I'm moving a old PC from its old case to a newer case. The old case itself is completely metal.