VOGONS

First post, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Am looking for an inexpensive but good socket 478 as a backup board. There seems to be quite a few for sale and noticed the Dell 8300 boards are abundant and around $20 with shipping. They have AGP, PCI, SATA, 4 mem slots and use Intel 875 chipset which supports 800Mhz P4. Other than a bad OEM BIOS can anyone tell me why this would be a bad board for the price ? Any suggestions as to a differant board in same price range with similar features ?
I do have a other good 478 boards but am looking for a cheap backup motherboard board.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1 of 15, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I favour the Asrock P4i945GC as it has PCI-E and can run Prescott 3.2 GHz SL7QB and 3.4 GHz SL7Q8 in 64-bit mode 😀 There are a few on ebay, but sadly not in your price range.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 15, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2019-12-28, 03:03:

Other than a bad OEM BIOS can anyone tell me why this would be a bad board for the price ?

The front USB/Sound requires a separate PCB and a proprietary cable that you would have to buy separately or build DIY.
The I/O shield isn't removable from the factory pan. You would have to cut it out or retro-fit the factory pan into a case.
(I think) If you have a mobo pan with ALL the holes you can match it up - but I'm not swearing to that.

You would be better off getting the whole system and using the Dell case.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info ! I can get one with the tray and it might fit my Dell mid tower. Some of the motherboard images show multiple mount holes and some show just the 4 that are tray required. The front panel part would be an issue but found the pinout. MSI 865PE Neo2 or equal is what I really want so I will keep looking ........

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 15, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd hold out for what you really want and just get that.
There's no shortage of i865 boards at fair prices and retrofitting things often ends up costing more than just getting what you wanted in the first place.
I used a couple of the mATX version of this one and they worked out well for me.
Anything using DDR is smack in the middle of the bad caps era.
Assume you will have to do a recap and if you don't that's all the better.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 6 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the reminder about Giga's 865's. I have a 81k1100 (875 chipset) and it runs well but needs a re-cap soon. Think I will order the GA-8IPE1000-G from pc*one for his includes back plate and good reviews. Probably needs re-capping too. The MSI's are a bit too spendy right now and assume all working 478 will be going up in price as they become more rare.

Reply 7 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Researched socket 478 fair bit 2 years ago and any of the Asus p4p800 which use the 675 chipsets were considered top dog. You probably don't really need the deluxe versions.
P4C800 boards are basically the same just with the 875 chipset, despite the "better" chipset the difference between the 2 chipsets wasn't much in real world use, at least between eh Asus boards.

I've nothing against OEM boards but have to agree, due to the non standard setup I wouldn't bother unless pairing it with the case.

Reply 9 of 15, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While review sites (that only see brand new parts) loved the Asus P4P and P4C boards in repair channels they were notorious for blown chipset based USB ports.
Asus costed down too far on SMD parts that protect the ports from voltage spike damage when you plug/unplug USB devices.
During DDR & DDR2 Asus costed down a lot of things too far which is where the repair channel term ASDS (Asus Sudden Death Syndrome) came from.

Asus_Usb.jpg
Filename
Asus_Usb.jpg
File size
97.71 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

they were notorious for blown chipset based USB ports.

The problem is common for many ICH5 based boards, not just ASUS.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 15, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:05:

they were notorious for blown chipset based USB ports.

The problem is common for many ICH5 based boards, not just ASUS.

Agreed but Asus was the worst of them.
Intel ultimately revised the platform design guide changing those components from 'recommended' to mandatory because of the problem.
I don't know for a fact but I don't think Asus updated their designs after that revision came out whereas most others did.
Personally I would stay away from Asus if you plan to use USB without an add-in card.
If you are going for a board with ICH5 and will be using OB USB look for the latest board revision you can find.

Reply 12 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agreed but Asus was the worst of them.

Of course they are. They were and still are the biggest motherboard manufacturer outside OEM.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-04-14, 09:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 15, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote on 2019-12-30, 18:14:
I don't know for a fact but I don't think Asus updated their designs after that revision came out whereas most others did. . Per […]
Show full quote

I don't know for a fact but I don't think Asus updated their designs after that revision came out whereas most others did.
Personally I would stay away from Asus if you plan to use USB without an add-in card.
If you are going for a board with ICH5 and will be using OB USB look for the latest board revision you can find.

I can vouch for ASUS P4P800SE rev2.00. Doesn't have the USB issue.

Back in 2011 I noted you could get these adaptors. Perhaps you still can. Though I don't suppose you'd still find vulnerable ICH5 boards with working USB to protect.

USB ESD protection.jpg
Filename
USB ESD protection.jpg
File size
54.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Lovely board. Was a home theatre system before I got it. Eignt years of XP gaming since. Row of swollen caps in the power section that are just as they were in 2011. (Not recommended. Is 'science project'.)

Reply 14 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Though I don't suppose you'd still find vulnerable ICH5 boards with working USB to protect.

Easy. Any boards which were used in cases without front USB panel.

Reply 15 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got the Giga 8iPE1000-G yesterday. Works well with the 2.8Gh -533Mh -1Mb SLK79 cpu had laying around. Only issue I found is no "Numlock" setting in it's Award BIOS, not really a problem but hate having Num lock turned on at every boot 🙁