VOGONS

First post, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm working on all-purpose "one rig to rule them all" DOS/Win9x Pentium III build. Planned specs as follows:

ECS P6BAP Me (ISA slot for sound card! 😀
Pentium 3 1GHz (anything above 800MHz will do)
256MB RAM
SB AWE32 (with real OPL3)
GeForce2 GTS (GeForce4 MX440 at the moment)
modern PSU (probably Seasonic SS-350ET)
some kind of flash based storage (SD, CF, SSD...)

And here comes the troubles: right now I've got one 700MHz CPU (SL3XX) and two 800MHz CPUs (SL4CD). SL3XX runs flawlessly, but none of the SL4CD works. Mobo has latest BIOS (1.4a) and fast coppermine CPUs should be supported. When MB is switched on, CPU fan spins for a brief moment, then stops and nothing else will hapen. Tried to force 133MHz FSB via jumpers, nothing. Is there anything else I could try? Or am I just unlucky and both SL4CD are simply dead? Or am I missing something? 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What The Serpent Rider said ! Also: that p3 800/133 is an EB which would require specific BIOS support for it's cpu-id/stepping (cC0) versus the p3 700/100 (cB0). There is 800/133 with same stepping and cpu-id (683) as the p3 700: SL = QP15, QS22, and SL3Y2. Have a board that does similar (tries to boot but cpu shuts down/fan stops) with an unsupported cpu stepping. It also could be other board issues like trying to run 133 bus versus 100, like failing caps that show when clock is running at the faster speed. Just some thoughts...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun