VOGONS

SiS 6326 AGP great card!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 63, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about the discreet card, but the implementation of SiS 6326 on the PCChips M590 board is odd to say the least. It does have a dedicated memory (8MB EDO DRAM) onboard, but it's the only "card" where 3DMark 99 reports me low on memory for the 800x600 default setting test, what to hell?! It does not start until it is lowered to 640x480.
The PCI Rage Pro LT with 8MB, on the other hand, passes the test at this resolution without hesitation (of course, the performance is poor). So, where did the friends from PCChips (HsingTech) go wrong?
I suppose the discreet AGP version of SiS 6326 doesn't have to be reduced for 3DM99 resolution, does it?

Reply 41 of 63, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd better make a mental note to check that out on the M571, M748 and M717 when I've got win98 going on them in future.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42 of 63, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2021-09-23, 10:46:

I don't know about the discreet card, but the implementation of SiS 6326 on the PCChips M590 board is odd to say the least. It does have a dedicated memory (8MB EDO DRAM) onboard, but it's the only "card" where 3DMark 99 reports me low on memory for the 800x600 default setting test, what to hell?! It does not start until it is lowered to 640x480.
The PCI Rage Pro LT with 8MB, on the other hand, passes the test at this resolution without hesitation (of course, the performance is poor). So, where did the friends from PCChips (HsingTech) go wrong?
I suppose the discreet AGP version of SiS 6326 doesn't have to be reduced for 3DM99 resolution, does it?

I didn't have this exact board back in the day, but I do remember running 3DMark 99 on the 598LMR board I had with the integrated SiS530 and not having the low memory error.
My board had a 2MB/4MB/8MB option in the BIOS, aer you sure you have the frame buffer set to 8MB? Also what is your AGP aperture set to?

Reply 43 of 63, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean "Graphics Aperture Size" in BIOS, the area in RAM reserved for AGP texturing? PCChips has it named stupidly "Graphic Windows Size" and I have it on the standard 64MB (from 192MB RAM). Unfortunately, this has no effect, nor does resizing prevent the window from popping up with a message about lack of memory in 3DM99. Graphics has 4 EDO DRAM chips on the board, but I suspect PCChips split the 8MBs strangely (framebuffer, texturing etc.) and the chip doesn't have access to the entire size. Speedsys also displays available VESA memory in size 4MB. I came across a similar assumption online: https://b31f.wordpress.com/2018/01/10/my-litt … e-this-fast-er/

In Compaq Deskpro EN SFF I have an onboard Rage Pro Turbo with 4MB and 3DM99 run in 800x600 resolution without any problem.

SiS 6326 will certainly serve as a 2D display of desktop, but it is definitely not a 3D decent performer (in PCChips implementation at least). Even at 640x480, it hit poorly in 3DM99. But, I confess, I have a soft spot for these bastards:)

Attachments

• 6326bios.jpg
    Filename
    6326bios.jpg
    File size
    74.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 6326vesa.jpg
    Filename
    6326vesa.jpg
    File size
    188.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 6326apperture.jpg
    Filename
    6326apperture.jpg
    File size
    147.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • ERROR.jpg
    Filename
    ERROR.jpg
    File size
    77.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3DM99.jpg
    Filename
    3DM99.jpg
    File size
    198.23 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 44 of 63, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2021-09-24, 12:27:

You mean "Graphics Aperture Size" in BIOS, the area in RAM reserved for AGP texturing? PCChips has it named stupidly "Graphic Windows Size" and I have it on the standard 64MB (from 192MB RAM). Unfortunately, this has no effect, nor does resizing prevent the window from popping up with a message about lack of memory in 3DM99. Graphics has 4 EDO DRAM chips on the board, but I suspect PCChips split the 8MBs strangely (framebuffer, texturing etc.) and the chip doesn't have access to the entire size. Speedsys also displays available VESA memory in size 4MB. I came across a similar assumption online: https://b31f.wordpress.com/2018/01/10/my-litt … e-this-fast-er/

In Compaq Deskpro EN SFF I have an onboard Rage Pro Turbo with 4MB and 3DM99 run in 800x600 resolution without any problem.

SiS 6326 will certainly serve as a 2D display of desktop, but it is definitely not a 3D decent performer (in PCChips implementation at least). Even at 640x480, it hit poorly in 3DM99. But, I confess, I have a soft spot for these bastards:)

Yeah that it what I was referring to.
PC Chips rarely implements anything correctly in my experience. "graphic window size" is a new low however, 🤣.

What driver version are you using? It won't ever perform wonderfully in 3D but it would be nice if it could perform to it's full potential anyway.

Reply 45 of 63, by HangarAte2nds!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-22, 15:47:
That ASUS motherboard can handle K6-2 CPUs without any issues and are much better than an overclocked Pentium MMX especially if […]
Show full quote
HangarAte2nds! wrote on 2021-09-22, 09:50:

Why buy an AMD K6-II 450 or PII 233 when an overclocked MMX will work just about the same? The K6-II was weak and the PII still used a 66MHz bus speed. The P5A is a good board but it wasn't a particularly expensive board originally.

That ASUS motherboard can handle K6-2 CPUs without any issues and are much better than an overclocked Pentium MMX especially if you get one with CXT core for write combining support. PII CPUs have the L2 cache chips on the slot PCB unlike the K6-2 and PMMX (albeit at half of the CPU speed unlike the K6-III, K6plus or later PIII CPUs) and PII CPUs with 100 MHz FSB came later.

Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-09-22, 15:30:
A K6/2 at 400-500mhz might indeed be weak in FPU when compared to a middling Pentium II, but it is miles faster than PMMX even w […]
Show full quote

A K6/2 at 400-500mhz might indeed be weak in FPU when compared to a middling Pentium II, but it is miles faster than PMMX even when the Pentium is overclocked to say 250mhz.
The Pentium MIGHT outperform it in Quake (i doubt it honestly), but the K6/2 will destroy it in pretty much every single other game/application/benchmark that you can think of.

People seem to think the PMMX - 233 is the be all and end all of the S7/SS7 era for some reason....I really don't get this.
K6/2 are so much faster in nearly every scenario and are usually easy to source.
Even the K6-2/3+ chips aren't SUPER expensive or hard to find.

P233MMX is the best one among non-Super Socket 7 CPUs unless you have a voltage adapter and/or motherboard that can support core voltage below 2.8v with a BIOS that can tolerate them.

While the K6-2+ can run Quake at 640x400 well with write combining enabled, I ran Quake at 400x300 with an overlocked P233MMX at 262 MHz prior upgrading and it wasn't bad. The non-pipelined FPU weakness is also noticeable on 3D accelerated games in Windows unless the software or the video card driver supports 3DNow!.

Only the K6-2 and K6-2+ CPUs are easy to find at lower prices but K6-III or K6-III+ are currently at outrageous prices. The original K6 is only better at integer workloads and lacks the 3DNow! instructions.

For my use case, the K6-II 450 would not give an advantage. I am also skeptical that the K6-II 450 could be fully utilized by this card. I was also kinda going for something someone might have built in 1998 as a budget alternative to the K6-II or PII. Since I have a PIII, I really view the later K6-IIs as something someone might have bought if they couldn't afford a brand new PIII in '99. The P5A and K6-II I have are courtesy of a 1999 vintage Compaq which most definitely would have been sold as a budget model in the wake of the PIII release.

Reply 46 of 63, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-09-24, 14:02:

What driver version are you using? It won't ever perform wonderfully in 3D but it would be nice if it could perform to it's full potential anyway.

If you mean driver number, it should be this. I'm not sure, if it wasn't "High Angle" with OpenGL/D3D support. It's true that SiS 6326 should be a bit more powerful, but I'll probably end up leaving it for DOS only build anyway, where the memory handicap doesn't matter and does a good job (DOOM looks a lot better on it than on Rage Pro LT, which I also intended for DOS and the poorer quality on Rage surprised me a bit).

Attachments

• drivers.jpg
    Filename
    drivers.jpg
    File size
    163.8 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 47 of 63, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have a similar problem with running 3Dmark99 in 800x600 resolution. I tried with three AGP cards, all of them have 8MB of memory and the chips are in the H0 revision. Moreover, the same problem occurs on the motherboard with the Sis530 chipset. Aida64 and similar software report A3 revision

Reply 48 of 63, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a p4 mobo with SiS315 in its chipset but I am getting a 128mb SiS 315 AGP 4X card coming for my P3 just for basic shader stuff built in great price. SiS 3126 is a great option for entry level DOS gaming like simcity, lemmings, etc.
My favourite past time with sis 6326 PCI apart from casual dos games is using it in windows to display system temps and chat in dual monitor mode with an AGP or PCIE GPU as main, whilst gaming online it was a great cheap way to monitor vitals.

Reply 49 of 63, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LubieCipy wrote on 2021-10-18, 13:54:

Hi,
I have a similar problem with running 3Dmark99 in 800x600 resolution. I tried with three AGP cards, all of them have 8MB of memory and the chips are in the H0 revision. Moreover, the same problem occurs on the motherboard with the Sis530 chipset. Aida64 and similar software report A3 revision

What I was able to find out, I had to have another driver installed before and not the "High Angle" version. I tried reinstalling the original version from AOpen, and it behaved the same way - lack of memory. So I went back to "High Angle" and suddenly the memory problem disappeared - 3DM99 goes off without a hitch in 800x600. From this it seems to me that originally I had another driver installed and it, like the one from AOpen, causes a memory problem in 3DM99.
I have an H0 chip revision.

Edit: The worse score in 3DM99 is because of another CPU - I'm testing Pentium 200@250 MMX now.

Attachments

Reply 50 of 63, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for this information, I will check this driver and see what else has changed.

One of my card has 99MHz SDRAM memory and other has 60 MHz. Can someone tell me how the chip is clocked?

Reply 52 of 63, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Both cards have SDRAM memory, I own one more card clocked at 55 MHz and only this one have EDO RAM. I'll do some fillrate tests later and see what they show 😀

Reply 53 of 63, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I installed the "high angle" driver and now the 800x600 resolution works. Even OpenGL is present, Quake 2/3 looks better than on the techland driver.

I checked the fillrate of three cards, all of them are AGP, H0 revision and have 8MB of memory:
1. Elpina, 55MHz EDO
2. Pine, 60 MHz SDRAM
3. Yuan, 99 MHz SDRAM

Elpina card with slower 55MHz EDO memory is faster in every game and synthetic benchmarks i have tried than Pine card with little faster SDRAM memory. I think that Elpina card must have higher clocked chip than Pine card have. Maybe Elpina is 55/55, Pine 40/60 and Yuan 66/99. Does it look correct?

Attachments

• sis.JPG
    Filename
    sis.JPG
    File size
    21.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sis6326 test
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 54 of 63, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a Diamond Speedstar A70 SiS6326DVD AGP with 8MB paired to my 'S7 test setup'.
The motherboard is a PC Chips M577, which takes about every socket 7 or super 7 CPU that exists (but can't do a 50MHz bus)

Performance is a little meh (lower 600ish in 3D mark 99 and a K6-3+ 450), but image quality seems quite nice.
On my P5A-B with K6-3 (non +) 450 its performance is about 10 points higher (and 10% for CPU, because better board).

For 3D performance is a no go: get a TNT2 pro or something... But it's reliable and stable. That's why I've put it into my test setup. (And I've got a spare one)

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 56 of 63, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-24, 18:18:

I saw some sis 6326 gpu chips for sale and thought i wonder if they'd do better with gddr6 🤣

They probably do, but you'll have to OC them by 4000% and cool them with liquid nitrogen as well. Then they may even outperform the Intel 815 😜

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 58 of 63, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weirdly I now own 8 of these cards, 5 are the SiS 6326A version and two are the SiS 6326 version, not a clue what changed but I have yet to test them. Got them in a large AGP GPU card lot, might keep one of each and well I doubt I will ever sell them on eBay so I guess the rest will head off to the great e-waste graveyard in the sky.

Also got 6 Trident 3d Image 9750 cards in that lot ..again no idea what they are like but are also likely headed to the same place.