VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Sound Blaster 16 (CT1740) and a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (650-0060) and I thought of doing of sound comparison between the two cards. I assume that they will mostly sound pretty much the same so I have no grand expectations to be blown away the PAS. 😀

Anyhow, both cards have a YMF262 on board and I was wondering if this would either a) clash, or b) they'd simply both be addressed (I'm not an expect on ISA but I believe that's how ISA might work).

Anyone tried a Sound Baster 16 and a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 in the same machine before?

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No never tried it. You may be able to get them both running at same time but am not sure how you plan on testing as you can't just switch from one to another in a game while it's running. I think if you make a config.sys menu to choose which drivers are installed you could easily have one or the other run as the sound card without interference from the other (how you hook up speakers or headphones is another issue). Let us know how you set it up ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2019-12-29, 04:03:

but am not sure how you plan on testing as you can't just switch from one to another in a game while it's running.

Thanks. Wasn't really planning to switch devices in game. More in the line of changing the config and re-run.

I used to have a Sound Blaster and an Ultra Sound in the same system. This worked fine. It's just that the PAS16 has a YMF262 on board, just like my Sound Blaster... So, I'm worried about potential conflicts.

Reply 3 of 4, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´m doing almost the same thing with a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and a Aztech sound card which is sound blaster Pro compatible. Just installed both of them in the normal way and configured them with resources that don´t overlap. The line out of both go into a mixer so no matter which one is outputting audio it just works.

Reply 4 of 4, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. I did some testing. Bad news, turns out that one of PAS16's is dead. 🙁

With the other PAS16 it seems to work, sort of. E.g. With both the SB16 and the PAS16 installed, in Doom I get no music whichever card I choose. In other games, if I choose SB then the FM music plays but has a very annoying hiss to it that isn't there when the PAS is not in the system. For FM music I tried plugging into the PAS (when SB was selected for the game) but the PAS did not output FM music. So, only one of the YMF262 chips was utilised. I think that on the PAS, when you disable SB support (which I did) that it might also disable the YMF262 chip.

I then decided to also add my Gravis Ultrasound Classic which also seems to also work fine (as long you you don't create a resource conflict of course). So, 3 sound cards in one system. Too bad the FM music has this hiss though.