VOGONS

First post, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I have in my stock an SOLTEK SL-65FVB. According to vogons cyrix supported motherboards, this fits the bill. I want to buy a VIA CYRIX III @667 2.0V or very close one.
I have found here http://sher424.ddns.net/hard/p/mb/SL-65FVB/ The manual and other resources. In the manual it looks like I have to change the settings for CYRIX with jumper 3,4 and 5, but looking to my board and photos present on the ftp there is no such jumpers. It says that supports JOSHUA, could it support others like this.

The motheroard have holes to solder the jumper pins. Only the location of JP3 has the pin 1 and 2 connected but there is no continuity from pins 1 and 2 in the other locations of JP4 and 5 but once more there are holes to solder de pin jumper. According to manual JP3,JP4 and jP5 must be 1-2 to Intel AND 2-3 to CYRIX
Does anyone have this board and configured it to take the CYRIX? An helping hand would me much appreciated.
Many thanks for your kind help and support,
Jorge

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VIA CYRIX III is *not* a Cyrix CPU - they just reused the name. It's actually an updated WinChip CPU by Centaur Technology. It was later just called VIA C3 and uses the same jumper settings as an AMD K6. Jumper settings for Cyrix are only for MII and earlier CPUs.

Reply 2 of 5, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! Thanks for your kind explanation, so I was targeting the wrong CPU? the motherboard manual says JOSHUA CPU. I know very little from CYRIX it is a very confusing line of cpus and manufacturer
If I search on ebay for jushua cpu i cant find anything. Do you know the right keywords to search?
Do you have the same mobo to help me out with the jumper problem?
Thanks!
Jorge

derSammler wrote on 2020-01-03, 13:11:

The VIA CYRIX III is *not* a Cyrix CPU - they just reused the name. It's actually an updated WinChip CPU by Centaur Technology. It was later just called VIA C3 and uses the same jumper settings as an AMD K6. Jumper settings for Cyrix are only for MII and earlier CPUs.

Reply 3 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Made a mistake. You jumper it as an Intel CPU, of course, not as an AMD K6, which uses a different socket. I should not read something on Wikipedia in one tab while writing an unrelated answer in another tab. 😁

You may need to set JP3, 4, and 5 to 2-3, if they didn't care that the C3 is no Cyrix CPU. I think "Cyrix" must be just read as "non-Intel" here. Or maybe this board was originally designed before VIA dropped the Cyrix core for the C3 and used the one from Centaur Technology instead. Your board could be a newer revision to reflect this change, making the jumpers obsolete. That's what I would conclude.

Btw, is there a reason why you want to use that CPU? It's the slowest option available.

Reply 4 of 5, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, there is a reason. My 5 euro build is giving me problems (posted here in system specs). I continue to have issues losing the bios settings when turning off from psu the system, and after 1 or 2 days of no use I need many tries to boot, the mobo hangs just before the beep post (I am using a cheppo diag card), so I must bin it and replace with another build, targeting 386,486 and pentium using the same components. 🙁

derSammler wrote on 2020-01-03, 13:24:

Made a mistake. You jumper it as an Intel CPU, of course, not as an AMD K6, which uses a different socket. I should not read something on Wikipedia in one tab while writing an unrelated answer in another tab. 😁

You may need to set JP3, 4, and 5 to 2-3, if they didn't care that the C3 is no Cyrix CPU. I think "Cyrix" must be just read as "non-Intel" here. Or maybe this board was originally designed before VIA dropped the Cyrix core for the C3 and used the one from Centaur Technology instead. Your board could be a newer revision to reflect this change, making the jumpers obsolete. That's what I would conclude.

Btw, is there a reason why you want to use that CPU? It's the slowest option available.