VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have only one board ATM with Intel 955X chipset which only supports Pentium Dual Cores...

How much it will bottlenec GTX 8800 ?

Thanks in advance 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 4, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it depends in some games it's pretty brutal in others you will not notice,
8800GTX is better matched with a fast C2D.

if you check the 8800GTX reviews they were mostly using x6800s (C2D 2.93GHz) and such which is way faster in some games compared to any pentium D.

Reply 2 of 4, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty much. Remember, a Pentium D is really just 2 Pentium 4's slapped together on the same die (Smithfield based on Prescot, or the newer Pesler based on Cedar Mill).

NetBurst was terrible. It really shows how vastly superior the core micro-architecture was, all major intel CPU's are still using direct descendants of the original from 2006.

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 3 of 4, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And Core is based on Pentium M who is based on Tualatin..

no good CPU comes from Intel America.
Israel did it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 4, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends on the game and the settings. On very high resolution it might not be an issue, but in general that CPU is quite a big bottleneck. I had 8800 Ultra back in the day and it was paired with Q9450. I'd go with something similar or even better. Core2 Duo might be also ok, E8600, but E8400 is not bad and you can found those very cheap, basically for free.