VOGONS

First post, by BlackAce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I got these units (and a few less interesting ones just for their cases) for $20 each! Hopefully they work (fingers crossed). Socket 8, dual P2 overdrives, full of RAM <3 <3.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome finds! I have a very similar Supermicro board (mine is P6DBS with integrated SCSI, though, not P6DBU) — it's a great board that can generally take Coppermines up to 1000 MHz while retaining full 3 ISA slots (kind of uncommon for a Slot 1 board).

Dual CPU systems just feel amusing to me even though they are kind of pointless for gaming. However, you can use Windows 2000 and run most Win9x games while enjoying a much better operating system.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 4, by BlackAce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I don't really have the need for dual processors, but it's something I've always wanted to add to my collection. All 3 of them work perfectly, I had to do some TS with the P6DBU, but it's great. For some reason I had to disable the overheat alarm to get it working. One or both of the P2 400s seems to have an issue too, so I swapped the 500s into it. Love not having to use my SCSI PCI card. Finding the higher Mhz P3 slots are difficult. I tried my slocket, but the system wouldn't have it.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 4, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote on 2020-01-08, 22:23:

Awesome finds! I have a very similar Supermicro board (mine is P6DBS with integrated SCSI, though, not P6DBU) — it's a great board that can generally take Coppermines up to 1000 MHz while retaining full 3 ISA slots (kind of uncommon for a Slot 1 board).

Dual CPU systems just feel amusing to me even though they are kind of pointless for gaming. However, you can use Windows 2000 and run most Win9x games while enjoying a much better operating system.

or XP even runs great if you can shove 512MB-1GB RAM in there

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 2000 turns 20 this year, Good excuse for a Win2k build I rekon, and if your doing that you may as well have a duel CPU setup!