VOGONS

AMD K7 "goldfinger" cloning thread

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 260, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2021-02-09, 16:38:

Good catch on that. I hadn't seen those pictures where it clearly shows a resistor there. The one I was going off of looked like a capacitor. From the one picture that's the clearest, it looks like a 2k-ohm +/- 5%, red-black-red-gold.

I'll update the schematic and PCB and upload the files later.

Yes you are right, in the other pictures it definitely looked like a capacitor.
Thanks for updating the files so quickly!

My retro computers

Reply 41 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea I originally couldn't tell if that was a C or R, but it looked like a capacitor since I didn't see any color bands. I'm glad the additional pictures were found. 😜

In other news, there's a Ninjamicro Freespeed GFD on Ebay right now.. I may want to clone that one if someone buys it. Auction title: Abit KA7 KA7-100 Athalon Slot A Motherboard In the Box

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 42 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought that board and also enough connectors and dip switches to make 25. I’m located stateside and looking for a project to do for winter.

I’ll upload high res scans of the Ninja micro when it gets delivered.

TBD plus shipping would likely be the target price once I check my stock of header pins and resistors . I may wait and order PCBs until we test some on them.

Last edited by gbeirn on 2021-02-09, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 260, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's worth more if it works, if you can get a sample board to test it, could save a fair bit

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 44 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gbeirn wrote on 2021-02-09, 18:41:

I bought that board and also enough connectors and dip switches to make 25. I’m located stateside and looking for a project to do for winter.

I’ll upload high res scans of the Ninja micro when it gets delivered.

TBD plus shipping would likely be the target price once I check my stock of header pins and resistors . I may wait and order PCBs until we test some on them.

You'll have to desolder the components, or measure with a multimeter, because there are several hidden traces on the Ninjamicro.

My Github

Reply 46 of 260, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@gbeirn

Nice catch! That board is probably the best Slot a board made. I used to have one.

In case it wasn't obvious, that board needs a recap.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 47 of 260, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-10, 07:55:

In case it wasn't obvious, that board needs a recap.

This would be an understatement... I'm seeing A LOT of corrosion caused by capacitor electrolyte leakage (near the VRMs).

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    475.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 48 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Parts came in today. Crazy fast shipping. Connectors fit just fine. Now waiting on the circuit boards.

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 50 of 260, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to know that the connectors actually fit. That was my biggest concern, tbh.

I received my Digi-Key delivery today, too. Time between placing the order and having the parts delivered from Digi-Key in the US to my doorstep in Germany was less than 48 hours, I am impressed.
PCB production according to JLCPCB is currently at 54% and should be finished by Feb. 15th + a few days shipping from China.

My retro computers

Reply 52 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did the FedEx expedited , the middle choice with cost I believe. We’ll see how long it takes. I’ve got to dig my slot A boards out of storage anyways

Reply 53 of 260, by t4ker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This project is great. I am looking for a gfd since a long time. It would be great to push my plutos. Thanks everybody for the great work.

@gex85: Hättest du noch einen über? Die Bestückung könnte ich auch selbst übernehmen. Ich würde mich sehr darüber freuen 😀.
---
@gex85: Do you have another one? I could do the assembly myself. I would be very happy about it 😀.

Reply 54 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Abit motherboard arrived today. It is in one of the worst shapes I have seen with regards to capacitors.

Anyway, the promised pictures of the Nijamicro Freespeed along with the manual page ( nice addition). The board is simple, no extra hidden traces from what I can tell. I'll desolder the DIP switches and check at some point.

Attachments

Reply 55 of 260, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll have to check behind the SMD resistors as well, because a trace goes behind those and could go to either side or multiple resistors. The connector has a trace behind it too.

It would probably be easiest just to desolder the whole thing, document all components/values, scan the board on both sides, then put it back together.

My Github

Reply 56 of 260, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@wiretap you are correct, I am working on that now. Hopefully in a day or two I’ll have some scans available.

In the mean time the SMD marked 221 are, predictably 220 ohm resistors. The ones marked 1200 are 120 ohm resistors .

9x 221 (one for LED)
8x 1200
2x diodes
1x LED
1x Molex connector ( DigiKey part number WM9132-ND
2x 8 Position SPST dip switch. (DigiKey part number 206-8ST) Same spacing as the other golden finger but 8 position instead of 10.

Reply 57 of 260, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCBs arrived today!

Stack.jpg
Filename
Stack.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File comment
Stack of GFD v2 Clone PCBs
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Front.jpg
Filename
Front.jpg
File size
752.86 KiB
Views
File comment
GFD v2 Clone PCB Front
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Back.jpg
Filename
Back.jpg
File size
610.27 KiB
Views
File comment
GFD v2 Clone PCB Back
File license
CC-BY-4.0

@t4ker: Since a few other people have ordered larger amounts of PCBs and parts as well, there should be enough to meet the first demand on both sides of the pond... Send me a PM and we work out the details!

My retro computers

Reply 58 of 260, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aaaand of course I immediately grabed my soldering iron and assembled the first one:

Assembled_Front.jpg
Filename
Assembled_Front.jpg
File size
791.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Assembled GFD v2 Clone - Front
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Assembled_Back.jpg
Filename
Assembled_Back.jpg
File size
585.24 KiB
Views
File comment
Assembled GFD v2 Clone - Back
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Mounted.jpg
Filename
Mounted.jpg
File size
847.28 KiB
Views
File comment
Assembled GFD v2 Clone - Mounted to CPU
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Now I have to get back to some "real" work but I will hopefully manage to give it a first try during lunch break.
Note that the resistor I used is 2.2kOhms because 2.1kOhms (as used in the original GFD v2) is a lot less common and 2.2 was what I could get at a reasonable price.

My retro computers